Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2011 2:23:15 PM EDT
Like the AR-15 thread, this might be worth tacking also.
Does anyone know of a 'smith in the Phoenix area that specifically works on the AK platform?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeff Covino at Arizona Armory can build or fix AK's . 602-819-4615 . He has built a bunch for me ,and every one came out great . He just got my Goloni sorted out this week .He fixed what the monkeys at CAI did and it runs like a real Galil now . Hell of of nice guy to boot .
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much kind sir. I am looking for someone who spends a lot of time elbows deep in AK's not just a run-of-the-mill anything that comes across their bench 'smith. I'll hit him up and see if he can help me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Edited. EdSr
Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems are both experienced AK guys.  I wouldn't want to be stranded on a desert island with either one though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
ARS did one of my AK's many years ago. It turned out so bad I just gave it away to a family member. Good luck.

Quoted:
Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems are both experienced AK guys.  I wouldn't want to be stranded on a desert island with either one though.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:18:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Jeff Covino at Arizona Armory can build or fix AK's . 602-819-4615 . He has built a bunch for me ,and every one came out great . He just got my Goloni sorted out this week .He fixed what the monkeys at CAI did and it runs like a real Galil now . Hell of of nice guy to boot .

+1 for Jeff. Haven't had him do an AK for me, but have been over to see him to buy a lower before.  Great guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Steve at Action Magic has done a lot of work on my AK's, Saiga's, and PSL's over the years.  Trigger jobs, conversions, cutting down the barrel and pinning brakes, left-side charge conversions, etc.

Here are a couple pics of a few of the things he's done for me...

Cut down the barrel, moved front sight back and pinned the AK74 style brake to make it a legal 16", then had it refinished in black oxide;

Left-hand charge and HK sights on this one;

Basic Saiga 12 conversion;

To say that I've been happy with his work would be an understatement.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Gary at overland industries, has done a few for me, great guy to boot!
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems are both experienced AK guys. I wouldn't want to be stranded on a desert island with either one though.

You sure got that right.

AB
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
While I don't have any first hand experience with AK variants myself (yet), Tim over at EVC3 has some nice toys on his shelf that I've had a chance to look over. :)

If I can get things sorted out well enough, I'm thinking of having him build my an AK74 variant of some form, just for giggles. I seem to have a "need" to try an AK type rifle, and 5.45 is too cheap to ignore for good practice!
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
My pops just had 2 AR's worked on my Steve at Action Magic.  If I needed some work done on a firearm, he's the guy I'd see.  Not only did he do superb work on my dads rifles, which is reason enough to sing his praises, but he also talked me through a repair to my Remington 572 pump action .22lr.  He said he would rather give advice on what he considered a simple repair than charge to do it for me.  The man knows his business.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Derek Hoffman at Arizona Expert Arms or Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems are both experienced AK guys.  I wouldn't want to be stranded on a desert island with either one though.

As far as being stranded on a desert island with him....I dunno as long as we had a good supply of hooch it could be a good time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#12]

I wouldn't want to be stranded on a desert Island ,unless it was with a couple of sharp looking oraly fixated women who could cook .
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Between the single interaction I've had with him, as well as chatter from some trusted individuals, I won't give AZEX any of my business. I'd go with Piece if History down in Tucson.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Between the single interaction I've had with him, as well as chatter from some trusted individuals, I won't give AZEX any of my business. I'd go with Piece if History down in Tucson.

I'm game, what makes you say that?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chirp chirp goes the crickets.......
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't say anything bad about his business, I've previously done some transactions with him that were fine.

However, I'm not a big fan of him personally.  Listing all the whys and what fors would be pretty weak since he's banned here and can't defend himself.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't say anything bad about his business, I've previously done some transactions with him that were fine.

However, I'm not a big fan of him personally.  Listing all the whys and what fors would be pretty weak since he's banned here and can't defend himself.

Well all the interactions I've had with him have been pretty positive. If anyone has anything bad to say about him I'd be interested to hear it as I spend every dime I have with him for AK gunsmithing.

If there is someone better I would like to know.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well all the interactions I've had with him have been pretty positive. If anyone has anything bad to say about him I'd be interested to hear it as I spend every dime I have with him for AK gunsmithing.

If there is someone better I would like to know.

If you are happy with the services you are getting than be happy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, an hour and a half after I post and you're calling out the crickets? Considering I'm not even in the same time zone right now feel free to gear down big shifter.

Like FightingHellfish says, I won't call him out where he's unable to defend himself, despite his attitude I'm more honorable than that. However, it is evident that his attitude problem is well-known, despite your pleasant dealings with him. If you really want to talk about it, when I get back home you, Rizzo, and I can grab some beers on me and talk it over.

There's plenty of info about the web if you care to do some digging. Like I said, I'll take my business elsewhere, but if you're happy with him, by all means continue to use him. OP asked for options, I gave him one in Piece of History Firearms. I've heard excellent things about PoHF's work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quite obviously: he's a hack.  

http://thogaming.com/f82/azex-arms-custom-romanian-akm-ak-47-a-48355/
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Derek does some great work
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Derek is awesome.  The thing you have to understand is...he's Derek.  He is who he is.  He's actually excellent at arguing on things like radio and such....but in printed media, most particularly on an internet discussion forum he can come off as crass....and that's not necessarily what he's trying to be.  

Does he always do things the way I would do them, necessarily?  No...but he's done right by me even when we've disagreed on some things.  He's pulled my ass out of the fire once, too.....and I hardly knew him at the time.  So, despite the rough edges....I am very glad to call him a friend.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Stop advertising for Derek if you want to stay in this site.He is not welcome here

That goes for everyone, not just you.  

I have edited most posts that mention him. EdSr
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as being stranded on a desert island with him....I dunno as long as we had a good supply of hooch it could be a good time.

SURE, sure...he can build an AK.  But he'll fuck you right in the ass if you bend over in front of him.  

You can argue the merits of his personality but I defy anyone to find an AK he has fucked up.  He takes tremendous pride in the quality of his work and it shows in the firearms he builds.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Go to Tucson.  Mario at Piece of History is an amazing AK smith.  

http://www.pieceofhistoryfirearms.com/

He's done SBR's, complete rifles, and mod's for me, and I've always been extremely pleased with the work.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Mario also does good work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Derek is awesome.  The thing you have to understand is...he's Derek.  He is who he is.  He's actually excellent at arguing on things like radio and such....but in printed media, most particularly on an internet discussion forum he can come off as crass....and that's not necessarily what he's trying to be.  

Does he always do things the way I would do them, necessarily?  No...but he's done right by me even when we've disagreed on some things.  He's pulled my ass out of the fire once, too.....and I hardly knew him at the time.  So, despite the rough edges....I am very glad to call him a friend.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top