Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2010 12:29:32 AM EDT
I found a deal in California on a new car (much better than I could buy locally).  I am hearing mixed information about what fees I would pay by buying it there and registering it here.  

Has anybody done this and know what kind of fees I would end up paying to California?
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
If you step foot inside the dealership in California, you pay CA sales tax. If you see the car online, and they ship it to AZ (or any other state) for delivery outside of CA, then you pay state sales to to whichever state you register the vehicle.

Although it's common for dealerships to circumvent the laws, it's sales tax evasion if the consumer does not pay sales tax in the purchasing state if the consumer is or was physically in the dealership prior to or during purchase.

This is my understanding after working in that industry for over 6 years, but that was a couple of years ago, and I am no expert. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you looked in Las Vegas?

I've heard deals can be had and NV has better tax issues for non-residents.

Just a thought.

Link Posted: 3/13/2010 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a car at a dealer in Vegas and brought it back here to register. The MVD here made me pay sales tax before I could register it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#4]
New or used?
New, call the dealership ask em.
When I worked at the dealership, we didn't charge sales tax, if they were going to register out of state.
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/FAQsResponse.asp?Category=2&Keyword=
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Just so you know some California cars are detuned and have different or more restrictive emission devices then the rest of the 49 states that cars are shipped to.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I found a deal in California on a new car (much better than I could buy locally).  I am hearing mixed information about what fees I would pay by buying it there and registering it here.  

Has anybody done this and know what kind of fees I would end up paying to California?

California dealers can do a "state line transfer".  YOu then pay AZ sales tax and registration fees.  I have done this.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just so you know some California cars are detuned and have different or more restrictive emission devices then the rest of the 49 states that cars are shipped to.

Maybe in the past, but not economically feasible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe in the past, but not economically feasible.

Not BS at all.  Last truck I owned was a CA/emissions compliant truck, and the one I just bought last month here in AZ is a 49 state vehicle.  Specifically states on a sticker under the hood that it can't be sold in CA.

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I made the mistake of buying a 2000 Nissan Maxima from California.  It was definitely detuned.  It had extra CA emissions sensors and crap that we couldn't bypass.  I bought it private party and didn't have to pay sales tax because I did the financing in AZ.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Most modern vehicles are 50 state these days for three reasons a) it's cheaper for the manufacturer, 2) since ODB-II compliance most cars meet CAL-EPA requirements anyway 3) several other states have adopted CAL-EPA requirements, so it's no longer 49 vs 50 state cars but 43 vs 50.

As with everything there are exceptions.  Most of the exceptions are high performance items or diesels.   I definitely wouldn't' want a CA compliant diesel.

Link Posted: 3/23/2010 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Most modern vehicles are 50 state these days for three reasons a) it's cheaper for the manufacturer, 2) since ODB-II compliance most cars meet CAL-EPA requirements anyway 3) several other states have adopted CAL-EPA requirements, so it's no longer 49 vs 50 state cars but 43 vs 50.

As with everything there are exceptions.  Most of the exceptions are high performance items or diesels.   I definitely wouldn't' want a CA compliant diesel.

Federal emissions standards for sulfur emissions has fucked diesels, all of them.  Anything more restrictive would require bicycle pedals and and empty engine bay. I doubt you will find a NEW 49 state vehicle and OP stated NEW.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 2:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, NEW car and it is most likely 50 state compliant.  I'll ask just to be sure though.  Ultimately, I can get an ok deal on it locally but I pay $500 less for this car in California.  What makes even more sense for me is that I that will get $1,500 more for my trade-in in California than I could get locally.  As you can see, the savings by going to California is considerable and since I already have a reason to be there (family/work), it is not inconvenient.  

I still haven't gone through with buying the car though as I just haven't had the time between work and family obligations.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 2:55:42 AM EDT
[#13]

THATS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS........  I know someone who bought a Motorhome from New york, becasue he saved  a bunch of money.. He was surprised when the MVD  told hime about the tax on  it........ 60k dollar MH..  

I alos bought a harley on ebay and had to pay tax when I went to register it...  IF its PRIVATE PARTY you DONT have too..  I dont think the california dealer will CHARGE tax if your a AZ resident.... you pay it here.

Quoted:
I bought a car at a dealer in Vegas and brought it back here to register. The MVD here made me pay sales tax before I could register it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top