Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Arizona AR-15 Gunsmiths (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TacticalPlinker:
I tried everything I could, except heat. But I assume that would of not changed my results and here is why... I sent the barreled upper my gunsmith buddy in Flagstaff, and I spoke with him last night. He tried the hydraulic press but bent 2 punches. He then tried to drill out the taper pin and though he was finally successful, it came at the cost of 2 drill bits. It will be one-step short of a literal miracle if the front sight gas block is still able to be securely installed with new taper pins.

I have absolutely zero idea what happen to that pin to make it nearly impossible to remove, because I was able to remove the 1st taper pin without issue, just as I've been able to remove taper pins from 2 additional barreled uppers (different manufactures), again without issue.

In addition, I'm disappointed at the manufacture of the barreled upper in question, not because that single taper pin was nearly impossible to remove for no apparent reason, but because both of the taper pins were drilled & installed from the wrong side of the front sight gas block, contrary to mil-spec... I also have a suspicion some sort of "JB Weld like compound" was used on the flash hider, but that's a different story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TacticalPlinker:

Originally Posted By RyanAmericanSpirit:Try heating the pins with a map gas torch first.

I tried everything I could, except heat. But I assume that would of not changed my results and here is why... I sent the barreled upper my gunsmith buddy in Flagstaff, and I spoke with him last night. He tried the hydraulic press but bent 2 punches. He then tried to drill out the taper pin and though he was finally successful, it came at the cost of 2 drill bits. It will be one-step short of a literal miracle if the front sight gas block is still able to be securely installed with new taper pins.

I have absolutely zero idea what happen to that pin to make it nearly impossible to remove, because I was able to remove the 1st taper pin without issue, just as I've been able to remove taper pins from 2 additional barreled uppers (different manufactures), again without issue.

In addition, I'm disappointed at the manufacture of the barreled upper in question, not because that single taper pin was nearly impossible to remove for no apparent reason, but because both of the taper pins were drilled & installed from the wrong side of the front sight gas block, contrary to mil-spec... I also have a suspicion some sort of "JB Weld like compound" was used on the flash hider, but that's a different story.
The JB weld type stuff on the FH could have been Rocksett. It is used with some suppressor mount FH's and brakes. The best way to get that off is heat or soak it in warm water for an hour. I have seen people do all sorts of things with the FSB taper pins. Some put them in right to left , some go left to right, and I've even seen some that oppose each other. There is also still companies using straight pins. We use green loctite on the taper pins before we install them.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
... too many AZHTF pinned posts
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Jeff @ Arizona Armory made me two beautiful guns...his shop is in the back of another business - worth digging it out.   He does custom finishes, and makes great guns.  Couldn't recommend him more.  Good prices too.   He's the man
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:16:49 AM EDT
[#4]
What about here in Tucson?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:44:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarySeven] [#5]
Originally Posted By coltnut:

Nelson Ford,gets it done right the first time.Have used him many times,outstanding work from a top pistol smith.

http://www.thegunsmith.com/thegunsmith.html

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By coltnut:
Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:
looking for a 1911 gunsmith...

Nelson Ford,gets it done right the first time.Have used him many times,outstanding work from a top pistol smith.

http://www.thegunsmith.com/thegunsmith.html

Nelson is dual skill Wizard.

Smith&Wesson wheel guns, he can do magical things., just as with 1911's.

The custom work he did on a S&W so my tiny wife could use it reliably, was simply unreal.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're in Tucson, Travis Polinger at Diamondback LE Supply is the best gunsmith in town for just about anything, and he does some amazing cerakote work as well. He takes a while to get your stuff back to you as he's a very busy man, but his work is top notch. He's the only guy I trust to touch my firearms.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm shocked to see the absence of LRK Mechanical on this list. It's by appointment only but their work is second to none!

727 Brannen Ave
Prescott, AZ 86301

Check out their website or Facebook for photos of the work they do. They also do cerakote.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking for SBR gunsmith in phoenix for Thompson semi-auto.?
 I can't seem to reach Az Armory (Jeff)?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are On the west side he a good guy that will do anything to help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=avondale+gun+smith&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS802US802&oq=avondale+gun+smith&aqs=chrome..69i57.6758j0j8&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=16156739504500739010
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Any updates on the east side of PHX metro?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Can anyone recommend a smith in west valley that can fit a Glock barrel?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jbisciotti:
Can anyone recommend a smith in west valley that can fit a Glock barrel?
View Quote
What do you mean by fit a barrel?

They’re just drop in parts..
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:

What do you mean by fit a barrel?

They’re just drop in parts..
View Quote

Some barrel companies like Bar sto for example make semi drop in and match fit barrels that need fitting. They offer maximum lockup which should translate into greater accuracy.

Not sure if thats what he has or if he's running into tolerance stacking issues and thinks he needs to fit the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Any recommendations for reblueing a revolver? Looking to get a barrel swapped, a little pitting cleaned up and the whole gun refinished. Preferably in the East Valley.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Looking for a gunsmith who can work on a 1873 Winchester in the Yuma area. Having some ejection problems. Bolt will pull the cartridge out of the chamber but won't ejected it out of the gun. Can anyone advise ? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Any Flagstaff or Kingman recommendations?

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 5:19:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: acrocat] [#17]
Kind of a necro post but Accuracy Speaks is good if you are into competitive shooting and Derreck is a very talented shooter, he has done a lot to further the shooting sports and I have nothing but respect for that; however, The guy there literally told me that my Noveske QD endplate was on backwards when it clearly was not. After that, he staked a castle nut for me and the guy staked it towards the receiver (wrong direction). Not to mention that they treat you like you are a complete tool if you want your castle nut staked or your gas block pinned. Fortunately, I made a square punch so my staking is close to Colt factory staking now anyways. Second time I used them, they treated me like I was a dipshit because I wanted Rockset on my suppressor mount. I have nothing but respect for his qualifications as a shooter and I appreciate everything he has done for the shooting sports but unless you are looking to compete, there are other options. People bitch about Ken Elmore, his prices, and wait times but everything he has ever done for me has been perfect every time with no questions asked. I don't claim to be an expert but I did have a M4 armorer’s certificate from Colt at one time so I am not totally clueless on how this stuff should be put together. (Yes, I should have taken care of that stuff myself instead of going to that place).
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Any new gunsmiths in the E Valley?
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Tall34:
Any new gunsmiths in the E Valley?
View Quote

Yeah, I'm also looking for a good AR gunsmith in the East Valley.  I'm in the Queen Creek/San Tan area but anything in the East Valley would be good.

I need someone legit and reliable.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't let geography dictate what gunsmith to use if you are looking for the best.  Talk to Mike Korstrange at Magnum Mike's (602) 793-5003.  He is at 27th Ave. and Dunlap.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Any Garand smiths in the west valley?
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Still searching for a reliable AR gunsmith closer to the east side.  I need the barrel changed on one of my uppers and I need a muzzle device pinned and welded.

I'd like to avoid having to mail it out if possible.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Wright Armory Mesa has always been a a go-to spot for anything that is above my skill level.  Not the cheapest place in town, but they are most likely the best.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lead-Spiral] [#24]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
Wright Armory Mesa has always been a a go-to spot for anything that is above my skill level.  Not the cheapest place in town, but they are most likely the best.
View Quote

Thanks!

Edit:  The guys at Wright Armory treated me right and got it done quick.  It wasn't cheap but I'm really happy.  The 14.5 inch barrel might not seem like much of a difference compared to the 16 inch but for me it's a big deal.  I've been wanting to do this for a long time and I'm glad I was finally able to get it done and I didn't have to ship it out anywhere.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Lead-Spiral:

Thanks!

Edit:  The guys at Wright Armory treated me right and got it done quick.  It wasn't cheap but I'm really happy.  The 14.5 inch barrel might not seem like much of a difference compared to the 16 inch but for me it's a big deal.  I've been wanting to do this for a long time and I'm glad I was finally able to get it done and I didn't have to ship it out anywhere.  Very nice.
View Quote

Glad to hear Wright Armory got you taken care of.  They just opened up a second location inside of C2 Tactical in Tempe...glad to see they are expanding.  Like I said, not the cheapest place in town, but very likely the best for all around gunsmithing, repair, and customization.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Looking for someone who can properly prepare and reblue an old Marlin 336SC.

I’m in N. Phoenix.

Thanks!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked Arizona AR-15 Gunsmiths (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top