Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/13/2017 8:42:39 PM EDT
Dispatch Article

I'm not a big hunter and don't follow this stuff too closely but it looks like there's been some shake-up on Ohio's Wildlife Council.

Anyone know if this is a good or bad thing? Anything hunters, fishers, sportsmen, or just shooters need to watch out for with this?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
First, I've heard of it.  

The increase in fees for non-resident licenses and permits has been a long time coming though.  They're super cheap when compared to everyone else.

I have a friend that works at the main office of ODW.  I'll ask her for the scoop, and report back.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like ODNR is making a play for the Wildlife Fund.  ODNR is supported by general revenue taxes and Wildlife is supported by license sales and federal aid reimbursements.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Back in the day as a ODNR Park Ranger we would always let the wildlife boys write citations on park property, that way the money went to wildlife instead of the parks. Glad to see some changes on the council.
Maybe the hunting seasons and reg's will make more sense
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
My source says that a lot of people in the department were outspoken about the need to raise prices for hunting.  The powers that be didn't like them speaking out of turn, and moved them around to make the easier to control.

Yes, the wildlife fund will now be easier to raid for other divisions.

Yes, wildlife positions will be filled by people who are not hunters.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top