Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/10/2017 9:06:41 AM EDT
I didn't see this on here anywhere...

http://www.guns.com/2017/07/07/bill-exempting-chl-holders-from-gun-free-zones-passes-ohio-house/

"A House measure that would allow those with a concealed carry license to ignore “no gun” signs is headed to the Ohio Senate.

Termed the Decriminalization Effort for Ending Notorious Deaths Act by its sponsor, HB 233 states that members of the military or those with a carry permit would not be guilty of violating most areas deemed gun-free. The measure passed in a Republican-heavy 65-31 vote on Thursday."

ETA:  The bill...

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA132-HB-233
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm good with loosening the required gun free zones.

But it seems a sign should be all that is needed to tell people a gun is not welcome. I don't like the part making signs just a courtesy warning.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm good with loosening the required gun free zones.

But it seems a sign should be all that is needed to tell people a gun is not welcome. I don't like the part making signs just a courtesy warning.
View Quote
The bill would not apply for open carry, so there is at least that "reason" for the signs to remain.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The way I read it is that it removes the automatic criminal trespass if you conceal carry on a private residence, but if they ask you to leave and you refuse it would still be criminal trespass. Assuming that this just makes "No carry" Signs no longer have weight of law?

If that is correct, does this only affect private property or all public propery/businesses? (Where it is not against federal law to carry?)
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The way I read it is that it removes the automatic criminal trespass if you conceal carry on a private residence, but if they ask you to leave and you refuse it would still be criminal trespass. Assuming that this just makes "No carry" Signs no longer have weight of law?

If that is correct, does this only affect private property or all public propery/businesses? (Where it is not against federal law to carry?)
View Quote
That is the way that I understand it too. It doesn't allow CHL holders to ignore the signs. That's the libs in the media trying to get everyone stirred into a frenzy... 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is basically how the law is in NY. 
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top