Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/8/2017 11:52:52 AM EDT
My nephew is purchasing a house and land in Elyria Township.   He is trying to figure out if it's legal for him to shoot on his land.

Anyone know or have a link in the correct direction to find out the legality of this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Build a good backstop or use a natural one(hill) and blast away.

Unlike municipalities, townships can’t dictate whether lots must be a certain size to shoot, whether a certain backstop must be used when target shooting or whether to ban shooting in certain areas altogether.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I went on our county website and read all the county and township laws regarding that same thing in Allen county and found almost nothing. If there is no law against it, then it could be legal.

With that said he might have an issue with noise complaints.

I have owned a property for 22 years. I have a pole barn on it and mow it weekly. I drive my ATV and UTV there too.

While shooting there one day last year, the neighbor guy came over with a pair of earplugs hanging around his shoulders.

He asked out of the blue if I was shooting a .308? I said no, why?

He said that the noise was so loud over at his house, he had to put earplugs in. I looked over where he had been standing and his wife was working on something there with no earplugs.

The distance was about 50yds away. I told him we were shooting a .223 and a .22LR.  I told him that I had a cookout, shoot here last year and people were here who did not shoot, but sat and played cards in my pole barn(we shoot beside of it) and they  did not need earplugs.

He then changed his story and said that he from time to time would have a BBQ at his house and his friends would not come over because I shot here and they were afraid of guns.

I told him that was their personal problem and I am not a shrink. I told him I would not shoot on Sundays and he could have his peace then.

So far he has not called the police..I doubt they would come anyway.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: Unlike municipalities, townships can’t dictate whether lots must be a certain size to shoot, whether a certain backstop must be used when target shooting or whether to ban shooting in certain areas altogether.
View Quote
This is my understand as well.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in Elyria twp.  It's all going to depend on a good backstop and what your neighbors think of the shooting.  If they get ticked off, you'll be getting visits from the Lorain county sheriff.  Be safe and responsible, make sure your rounds are all going into that backstop.  
Also, I don't know if there's a specific law on the books in Ohio or if it's a local ordinance but you usually can't shoot after sunset anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
It's been awhile since I've looked at the specifics, but IIRC the only state laws about shooting tie in with hunting.

There is a minimum distance away from a residence, 300 ft. I think.

No shooting over water or roads.

I was told a minimum of 3/4 acre of land and all rounds must stay on the property, but never saw a specific reg for it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Townships are specifically restricted from limiting shooting.  But there are more and more 'problem people' looking to change this.  Some are anti-gunners who will never be happy hearing gun fire, other times it is idiot gun owners not being 'good neighbors' and allowing bullets to leave property etc etc.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/designing-your-outdoor-shooting-range
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My nephew is purchasing a house and land in Elyria Township.   He is trying to figure out if it's legal for him to shoot on his land.

Anyone know or have a link in the correct direction to find out the legality of this?

Thanks
View Quote

Really depends on location. Parts of the township are built-up pretty good just like any suburban area. If feasible,
gonna need a solid earthen back stop. Should check with the township trustees to get a feel for it....
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in Copley township(summit Co.) someone called the cops when I was shooting.  They came out and said "nice back stop" have fun, and be safe.  I have RR ties with dirt behind it.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
1533.83 Shooting range definitions.

As used in sections 1533.83 to 1533.85 of the Revised Code:

(B) "Shooting range" means a facility operated for the purpose of shooting with firearms or archery equipment, whether publicly or privately owned and whether or not operated for profit, including, but not limited to, commercial bird shooting preserves and wild animal hunting preserves established pursuant to this chapter. "Shooting range" does not include a facility owned or operated by a municipal corporation, county, township police district, or joint police district.

1533.84 Rules for establishing standards for shooting ranges.

The chief of the division of wildlife, in accordance with section 1531.10 of the Revised Code, shall adopt rules establishing generally accepted standards for shooting ranges.

1533.85 Immunity in civil action concerning shooting range noise.

(A)(1) The owner, operator, or user of a shooting range is not liable in damages in a civil action to any person for harm that allegedly is caused by the creation of noise at the shooting range or the failure to limit or suppress noise at the shooting range if the owner, operator, or user substantially complies with the chief's noise rules.

(B) The owner, operator, or user of a shooting range is not subject to criminal prosecution under any section of the Revised Code, or under any ordinance, resolution, or regulation of a political subdivision, that relates to the creation, limitation, or suppression of noise if the conduct of the owner, operator, or user that allegedly violates the section, ordinance, resolution, or regulation substantially complies with the chief's noise rules.

(C) Notwithstanding any contrary provision of law, the courts of common pleas, municipal courts, housing divisions of municipal courts, and county courts of this state shall not grant injunctive relief under Chapter 3767. or any other section of the Revised Code, under an ordinance, resolution, or regulation of a political subdivision, or under the common law of this state against the owner or operator of a shooting range in a nuisance action if the court determines that the owner's or operator's actions or omissions that are the subject of a complaint substantially complied with the chief's noise rules or the chief's public safety rules, whichever apply to the nuisance action.

1501:31-29-03 Shooting ranges.

(A) In accordance with section 1533.84 of the Revised Code, the chief of the division of wildlife hereby establishes standards for shooting ranges in Ohio. These standards address noise levels, hours of operation, and safety. Private or public shooting ranges in Ohio should substantially comply with these standards to receive the civil and criminal immunities granted under section 1533.85 of the Revised Code.

(B) Private and public shooting ranges in Ohio should substantially comply with the listed noise or sound levels that are set to prevent hearing damage and eliminate nuisance noise complaints. Noise or sound level guidelines are described or explained in great detail in "The NRA Range Source Book, 2012 edition ." For the purpose of the chief of the division of wildlife's standards for shooting ranges, the following noise or sound levels apply:

Unacceptable: If the sound level exceeds ninety decibels dB(A) for one hour out of twenty-four hours or eighty-five decibels dB(A) for eight hours out of twenty-four hours and the sound measuring receiver is located at the boundaries of the range property.

(C) The hours of operation for shooting ranges shall be from seven a.m. to ten p.m. daily, except for indoor or archery ranges.

(D) Private and public shooting ranges should substantially comply with safety guidelines generally recognized and accepted by the national rifle association (NRA). Suggested safety guidelines are described or explained in great detail in "The NRA Range Source Book, 2012 edition ." For the purpose of the chief of the division of wildlife's standards for shooting ranges, private and public shooting ranges shall have an implemented safety plan that substantially includes, but is not limited to, the following items:

(1) A description of the range that stipulates how, when, why, and by whom the facility will be used.

(2) The safety plan should divide rules and regulations into the categories of gun handling rules, general range rules, specific range rules, and administrative rules and regulations. Each category should substantially contain, but not be limited to, the following items:

(a) Gun handling rules

(i) Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.

(ii) Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

(iii) Always keep the action open and firearm unloaded until ready to use.

(iv) Know your target and what is beyond the target area.

(v) Be sure the gun is safe to operate.

(vi) Know how to use your gun safely.

(vii) Wear ear and eye protection.

(viii) Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.

(ix) Store guns so that they are not accessible to unauthorized persons or children.

(b) General range rules

(i) Know and obey the common range commands.

(ii) Know where others are at all times.

(iii) Shoot only at proper and authorized targets.

(iv) When two or more shooters are present, shooters should consult each other before moving down range from the firing line.

(v) Unload, open the action, ground or bench all firearms during a cease-fire or when someone moves down range to the target area.

(vi) Make sure bystanders and observers that are close to the range are wearing ear protection.

(c) Specific range rules

(i) Hours of operation for shooting activities.

(ii) Type of firearms allowed or restricted.

(iii) Caliber or shotgun gauges allowed or restricted.

(iv) Bullet or shot types allowed or restricted.

(v) Target placement, type of targets, and target holders allowed or restricted.

(vi) Type of shooting activities allowed or prohibited.

(d) Administrative rules and regulations

(i) Rules and regulations that govern the normal operation of the range and facilities such as parking, maintenance, schedules, guest policies, fees, security, supervision, sign-in procedures, and etc.

(ii) Procedure to spot-check range users for compliance to range rules.

(iii) Penalties, sanctions, or consequences for violations of the range rules and regulations.

(3) This safety plan shall be posted in a prominent location on the range and range members or users shall be made aware of the safety plan before firing on the range.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top