Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2017 10:24:48 AM EDT
I'll be relocating to Columbus in a few months from Oklahoma. I've never even been to Ohio. I found recently that on top of state and federal income tax, Columbus also imposes an additional 2.5% municipal income tax, which I don't even understand how that is legal, but I digress... What other surprises am I in for in Columbus? Any random Columbus knowledge welcome in this thread. Thanks ARF!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
What part of the city are you moving to?  If you don't have an area picked out to live there are a lot of good places but I would base where you live based on where you will be working.  If you are going to be working downtown, there is traffic getting there no matter where you are going to live.  There is a lot of craft breweries, restaurants and things to do in Columbus.  There aren't many good places to shoot unless you like indoor ranges, but there are a few within an hour drive.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't have city income taxes in Oklahoma? That sounds nice.

Income tax will depend on where you live and where you work, also be aware some school districts raise additional funds through an additional income tax.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#3]
what part of town are you thinking, job, kids, wife? what's your budget?

columbus has the largest gay pop. in the midwest, especially in the short north and german village areas, watch your cornholes  but seriously, that part has awesome restaurants and bars.

plus Ohio State is here too.

you'll like it here, much better than OK 

details man!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Good call on details.

I'm 35 y/o, never married, no kids, but I'd love to meet a good woman and settle down.

I'll be working in the downtown area near the Brewery District. I'd love to buy a place downtown, as Columbus seems to be on the upswing for real estate so I'd like to get in now, but I can't really afford it at the moment. I'll probably have to rent for the first year or two.

I don't know what area I want to live in. Main requirements are an affordable place, that's also in a decently safe area, and I have to have room to park two vehicles (strongly prefer a garage). I'd love to not have to drive through ridiculous traffic every day just to get to work, but I don't need to be right around the corner either. Budget wise, probably can't spend more than $1K or so per month (on the high end) on rent. It's just me but I have a few belongings, so a one bedroom would be fine as long as I had a little extra storage space.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
OK bro.. lets see what we can do for you...  First downtown is expensive to live in the good areas.. commutes in central Ohio are not that bad...  I live in Pickerington its in the burbs south east of Cbus... I can leave my house at 7 and get Downtown in less than 30 minutes...

Pickerington is a nice community to live in I have been here for 25 years raised two kids.. if you live in the city limits they do have 1% tax but if you work outside the city You only have to pay .5%

Housing is  affordable if you are renting apartments... But houses can be expensive to rent...  I know you have no kids yet but they have a great school system.. Plenty of shopping and all the fast food you could want.. and being a AR guy you are only minutes from one of three Vances outdoors...   Plus there are about 3 to 4 other Black rifle stores in central ohio
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Since you'll be working in Columbus, make sure the municipality you live in has a reciprocity agreement with Columbus. This state is really awful with city income tax. You pay income tax to the city where you work. If the city where you live has a higher rate than the city where you work (2.5% for Columbus), you pay your home city the difference. If the rate is the same or lower, you don't have to pay any extra IF they have a reciprocity agreement (most do). Otherwise, you have to pay income tax to both the work city and the home city (Pataskala is like this).

Unfortunately Franklin County has the second highest sales tax rate in Ohio (each county declares its own here). Plus certain areas in the surrounding counties have an extra 1/2% sales tax for the bus system.

On the positive side, vehicle registration is (for the time being) fairly low. There is no sales tax on food at the grocery and takeout from restaurants (aside from soda).

You can get downtown from just about anywhere in the city within about a half hour. If you can afford $1000 a month for rent, you can afford a house payment in many suburban neighborhoods. If you really don't want to buy a place, there are nice new apartments going up all over the place.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
granview heights / upper arlington - lots of singles, safe and plenty of things to do and easy commute to downtown
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
stay north of 70 & west of 71 or outside the 270 loop
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
granview heights / upper arlington - lots of singles, safe and plenty of things to do and easy commute to downtown
View Quote
But very expensive..  and high taxes
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But very expensive.. and high taxes
View Quote
if he's renting, property taxes aren't a real concern. but it's more lively and 99% less ghetto too
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok. So far it's seeming the Upper Arlington or Grandview Heights area would fit well. Also, might consider Hilliard or Dublin area. What is this RITA city tax I keep hearing about? Is that in addition to the municipal income tax?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok. So far it's seeming the Upper Arlington or Grandview Heights area would fit well. Also, might consider Hilliard or Dublin area. What is this RITA city tax I keep hearing about? Is that in addition to the municipal income tax?
View Quote
Regional Income Tax Authority

They collect and distribute the city income tax among member municipalities.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

only if your work doesn't deduct for local taxes. i've been dealing with it for 15 years now since all my companies are HQ in another state/country
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are looking to rent, I would suggest Grandview, Victorian Village, German Village or the Short North.  All of those areas are nice and have plenty of things to do within walking distance.  The most popular area for dining/drinks right now is on High St in the Short North.  All of these areas are very close to the Brewery District so your commute will be very short.  If you are requiring a garage, you will most likely have to set your sights for the suburbs.  I think any of the suburbs would do just fine for you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
if he's renting, property taxes aren't a real concern. but it's more lively and 99% less ghetto too
View Quote
good point on the taxes  

I will say as far as singles the place that seems to have the most would be the Dublin / Arlington area near sawmiill and bethal roads... lots of apts and condos in that area..

But if you go in to work after 7 am its a suck drive into downtown on 315 south...

I have lived here. 57 years...  been a electrician for 32 years.. feel free to ask I now most all the areas.. on demographics and crime rates.. just from working in this town for so long..
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
The tax thing you are not going to avoid trust me I get about 15 w2's every tax year
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to OH-IO.
Dublin area can be expensive too.
We are moving my daughter and her husband and kids to Dublin later in June. They bought a house there and it was very expensive.
I would guess there are less expensive neighborhoods though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you are looking to rent, I would suggest Grandview, Victorian Village, German Village or the Short North.  All of those areas are nice and have plenty of things to do within walking distance.  The most popular area for dining/drinks right now is on High St in the Short North.  All of these areas are very close to the Brewery District so your commute will be very short.  If you are requiring a garage, you will most likely have to set your sights for the suburbs.  I think any of the suburbs would do just fine for you.
View Quote
Just be prepared to live amongst plenty of bleeding heart liberals if you choose any of those areas.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just be prepared to live amongst plenty of bleeding heart liberals if you choose any of those areas.
View Quote
That is the downside of those areas I agree.  The upside is a lot of singles live in that area.  I was able to make it out of Grandview after living there for a few years so I'm sure the OP could too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Columbus is in the first couple years of a 10-year highway construction project; have fun with that
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#21]
If I may chime in Mr. Tumbler

I live in Grandview if I leave my house at 715am I can be anywhere downtown by 730 and that's if I hit all the red lights and do the limit because of the local popo on gooddale blvd
Rents not cheap especially since Nationwide moved in a few blocks down but you can find a place well with in your budget , we are a snobbish stuck up area , but the schools are awesome and they try above average to keep the riffraft out ( scumbuckets oxygen thief's ect) plenty of great places to eat here and with in a few miles of here ,The  reason why I say snobbish is a few people know I own and drive a hummer and a Camaro , both bad for the eco system ( screw em ) but there are a few gun loving people around here like my self ,Bexley gone to shit , upper Arlington that's hit or miss area

Either way when you move and get settled in give me a shout and we will go to a few of my favorite ranges .. always enjoy a day at the range

Yeaaa trigger time

Take care, Rich ..... long time lurker seldom poster
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That is the downside of those areas I agree.  The upside is a lot of singles live in that area.  I was able to make it out of Grandview after living there for a few years so I'm sure the OP could too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of bleeding heart liberal singles
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If I may chime in Mr. Tumbler

I live in Grandview if I leave my house at 715am I can be anywhere downtown by 730 and that's if I hit all the red lights and do the limit because of the local popo on gooddale blvd
Rents not cheap especially since Nationwide moved in a few blocks down but you can find a place well with in your budget , we are a snobbish stuck up area , but the schools are awesome and they try above average to keep the riffraft out ( scumbuckets oxygen thief's ect) plenty of great places to eat here and with in a few miles of here ,The  reason why I say snobbish is a few people know I own and drive a hummer and a Camaro , both bad for the eco system ( screw em ) but there are a few gun loving people around here like my self ,Bexley gone to shit , upper Arlington that's hit or miss area

Either way when you move and get settled in give me a shout and we will go to a few of my favorite ranges .. always enjoy a day at the range

Yeaaa trigger time

Take care, Rich ..... long time lurker seldom poster
View Quote
do you have a personal plate on the hummer?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Brewers Yard Apartments are very close to the Brewery District.  The smallest floor plan is $995/month.  Walking distance to work, restaurants, parks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#25]
The traffic picks up quite a lot when OSU is in session.

The entire town basically shuts down when OSU football games are on.  If the Buckeyes win then everyone is in a good mood, the they loose then everyone is in a bad mood.  Pathetic really, but that's how it is.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll be relocating to Columbus in a few months from Oklahoma. I've never even been to Ohio. I found recently that on top of state and federal income tax, Columbus also imposes an additional 2.5% municipal income tax, which I don't even understand how that is legal, but I digress... What other surprises am I in for in Columbus? Any random Columbus knowledge welcome in this thread. Thanks ARF!
View Quote

Don't live in Columbus proper if you can manage.  Cbus is a sprawling suburban city with plenty of great areas that surround city.  I live 20 miles from the outer belt (270) but can be on the furthest side of town in under 40 min with some traffic.

Good craft beer scene, Brew Dog just opened a big brewery on the southeast side of town.  Good restaurants, bars, parks and golf if that interests you.  Good whitetail hunting in the surrounding areas if you know somebody.

Gun laws are pretty good for the most part considering the democratic city counsel.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
YUP
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The entire town basically shuts down when OSU football games are on.  If the Buckeyes win then everyone is in a good mood, the they loose then everyone is in a bad mood.  Pathetic really, but that's how it is.
View Quote
I work at the Wexner medical center and this is correct. Traffic is going to get worse near campus soon bc they are doing away with the PIT (parking Lot). Columbus has a lot of good but like any city it has its bad sections. Rush hour traffic can make you go crazy because it'll be backed up for miles due to it being windy or the sight of a rain drop.

Campus may have quite a few women a little young for you but the hospital is full of middle aged, independent, educated and good looking women. I didn't see what hours you would be working but commuting from the east side is not too bad. Maybe Blacklick area? No personal experience and I think it would be cheaper. What kind of shooting to you do?

Welcome !
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
YUP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YUP
I hope it's not red with lots of chrome trim everywhere?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I hope it's not red with lots of chrome trim everywhere?
View Quote
ummm hell no
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

YUP
View Quote
im pretty sure i used to see you in the sunoco in the mornings
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I work at the Wexner medical center and this is correct. Traffic is going to get worse near campus soon bc they are doing away with the PIT (parking Lot). Columbus has a lot of good but like any city it has its bad sections. Rush hour traffic can make you go crazy because it'll be backed up for miles due to it being windy or the sight of a rain drop.

Campus may have quite a few women a little young for you but the hospital is full of middle aged, independent, educated and good looking women. I didn't see what hours you would be working but commuting from the east side is not too bad. Maybe Blacklick area? No personal experience and I think it would be cheaper. What kind of shooting to you do?

Welcome !
View Quote
"A" pass for the win!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
31-0
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Okay.. first, what is "A" pass?

I will be working different hours, some nights, some weekends, but majority should be M-F 9-6ish.

I'm finding a lot of good rentals around some of the areas mentioned, but finding an apartment with an attached 2-car garage is almost impossible. The garage is really needed, unfortunately. I've thought about just buying as well, and I really would love to live in the more "busy" areas like Short North, Grandview Heights types, but I don't think I'll be able to afford to buy right now.

Lots of single, good looking ladies sounds like a good thing. I may have to check out this hospital area

As far as being near shooting ranges or stores, I'm not really worried about that. I've more guns than I'd ever need already and I'm really trying to shift my finances more towards housing/investment at this point.

Tell me the goods/bads of Dublin, Hilliard, Grove City and the likes... thought I'm not sure I'll want to drive 30 minutes to work, it would be an option.

Also, what's up with East Columbus? I'm checking out real estate, and it appears to have some really nice houses that are much more affordable than the rest of Columbus. The pictures don't look ghetto, but I know pictures can be deceiving. So what gives?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#35]
That's the parking pass for teachers at OSU.

I've never seen an apartment with an attached 2 car garage. You can find condos with that though. In those areas you mentioned you probably won't find attached garages on houses (for sale or rent).

All you really need to know about the city is what was stated above -- generally speaking, inside 270 look north of 70 and west of 71. Outside 270 pretty much anywhere will do.

There are of course some exceptions to both rules -- check out a crime heat map to see where to avoid.

Even living in the city, I don't see travel times being much less than 30 minutes during peak traffic hours.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Columbus has the 2nd highest Somali population in the US, plenty of them in Hilliard.
Upper Arlington has a huge mosque (west of Tuttle Mall) and the surrounding nearby population is almost all Muslim.

There've been a couple terrorist attacks in Columbus, this one just last November:

Ohio State University Attack

and this one Feb '16:

Machete Aattack at Nazareth Restaurant

The Columbus PD doesn't mess around but they can't be everywhere all the time
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I will be working different hours, some nights, some weekends, but majority should be M-F 9-6ish.

I'm finding a lot of good rentals around some of the areas mentioned, but finding an apartment with an attached 2-car garage is almost impossible. The garage is really needed, unfortunately. I've thought about just buying as well, and I really would love to live in the more "busy" areas like Short North, Grandview Heights types, but I don't think I'll be able to afford to buy right now.

Lots of single, good looking ladies sounds like a good thing. I may have to check out this hospital area

As far as being near shooting ranges or stores, I'm not really worried about that. I've more guns than I'd ever need already and I'm really trying to shift my finances more towards housing/investment at this point.

Tell me the goods/bads of Dublin, Hilliard, Grove City and the likes... thought I'm not sure I'll want to drive 30 minutes to work, it would be an option.

Also, what's up with East Columbus? I'm checking out real estate, and it appears to have some really nice houses that are much more affordable than the rest of Columbus. The pictures don't look ghetto, but I know pictures can be deceiving. So what gives?
View Quote
I'm not sure of the name of the complex, but off of West Dublin Granville Road in Linworth (NW Columbus area) there is a new apartment complex that seems to have apartments above 2 car garages.  I saw them when I was going to a tree service's office one day when they were building the apartments.  The tree service address is 2339 West Dublin Granville Road and the apartements were just west of there
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm not sure of the name of the complex, but off of West Dublin Granville Road in Linworth (NW Columbus area) there is a new apartment complex that seems to have apartments above 2 car garages.  I saw them when I was going to a tree service's office one day when they were building the apartments.  The tree service address is 2339 West Dublin Granville Road and the apartements were just west of there
View Quote
Here is a link to the Google street view

Traffic there was already bad during rush hour. With all those apartments, man it's got to be ridiculous. They'd need to put in a roundabout or something at the Linworth/161 intersection.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
The complex on 161 in Linworth is called The District at Linworth.  The link is below.

The District at Linworth

Another complex that I lived in about 6 years ago that I really like was Marble Cliff.  Its just outside Grandview and we didn't have any troubles there at all.

Marble Cliff Commons
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd rather live East of Columbus, a lot less traffic than Dublin or Hilliard areas. The sun is at your back on the way to and from work, not blinding you in the face. Deals can be had in Etna, Pataskala and Pickerington. If you want cheap, but a tad ghetto look in Reynoldburg, there are decent areas there too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, figured I'd update:

After much research and thought, given potential for investment and enjoyment of location, I have decided to buy a condo in the Brewery District. Hopefully I'll be closing in about a month. Looking forward to exploring my new area.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top