BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/27/2017 4:15:49 PM EDT
Going up there soon.

Things to do, places to avoid?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a lot to do... Cedar Point, Kalahari, boating, fishing, beaches, campgrounds, the whole area is like Mecca for bird watching if you're into that. Lots of decent shopping along 250 (Milan Rd) if you're into that. Loads of smaller parks and attractions in the general area.

It's a reasonably nice town but it has its ghetto areas like any of them that have touristy stuff. State route 4 going north into town, (Hayes Ave) and the surrounding neighborhood is not great. Unless you need a hospital, there isn't much else there...SR4 connects Providence and Firelands hospitals.  Downtown has seen some nice updates and new business in recent years.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Stop by the CMP store at Camp Perry. Not in Sandusky but close enough.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Next town over has a drive through safari with a walk through zoo as well.

I enjoy it a lot, just don't take a really nice new vehicle
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you bringing kids? What kinds of things do you like to do? How long are you going to be in the area? Do you have deep pockets or are you on a tight budget? Too many variables in play to give you a simple answer.

ETA : I hope you are not coming this week. It's Ohio Bike Week and it can be a mess if you're not into that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you bringing kids? What kinds of things do you like to do? How long are you going to be in the area? Do you have deep pockets or are you on a tight budget? Too many variables in play to give you a simple answer.

ETA : I hope you are not coming this week. It's Ohio Bike Week and it can be a mess if you're not into that kind of thing.
View Quote
Our son and his friend are doing Cedar Point.  Our hotel is in the park, so hopefully the bike stuff will not be a problem.

Wife & In want to do Put In Bay, and such.

Our first real vacation in six years,  so money is not an issue.  I want to avoid the 'touristy' type stuff, as well as any bad parts of the area.

We like to browse antique stores.  I look for old woodworking tools.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Hit up Milan. There are a few antique shops there. Milan Inntiques is in the old "Milan Inn". The guy goes to auctions constantly and buys everything to put in his junk shop. Might have to dig through some of his crap but you can find some interesting stuff there. Try to avoid Rt. 250 from Bogart Rd. to Perkins Ave. There will be a ton of traffic in that area, especially near Mad River Harley Davidson.

I'll add more when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Put in Bay can be fun. Rather expensive for what it is, but is a good day trip. Perry's Monument is closed I believe but you won't be missing much besides a great view from the top. Rent a golf cart and see as much as you can. There are wineries and such outside of downtown. Go to The Boardwalk for a casual lunch. There will be bikes there as well and a few day drunk people but the party starts after dinner and goes until the bars close. Should still be fairly quiet there this early in the season.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes Put In Bay is nice, but downtown is awfully touristy with nothing to do but drink at expensive bars. I'll second the golf cart idea. Rent it for the day and visit the island.

Also Kelly's Island is a big park from what I've seen. I've not been there but it looks like a nice place for part of the day.

Port Clinton and Marblehead might be nice places to drive around and see the water and such. Plenty of little diners/cafes around.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes Put In Bay is nice, but downtown is awfully touristy with nothing to do but drink at expensive bars. I'll second the golf cart idea. Rent it for the day and visit the island.

Also Kelly's Island is a big park from what I've seen. I've not been there but it looks like a nice place for part of the day.

Port Clinton and Marblehead might be nice places to drive around and see the water and such. Plenty of little diners/cafes around.
View Quote
Kelly's Island is good for the island experience without the raging party that is Put-In-Bay. Both are fun but for different reasons.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Downtown Sandusky will be full of police so you shouldn't have a problem there. Perch tacos at Dockside Cafe are awesome. Stay away from Daylies pub, all of the riff raft will be there this week.

Stop by the Volstead for a proper Manhattan if you can get a seat. Don't spend money on the Cedar Point property including the McDonald's and Dary Queen on the Causeway if you don't have to.

There are plenty of small towns in the area with antique stores and the such. Many nice people to meet if you give them the chance.

Milan also has a great museum complex. If you can get past the love of Thomas Edison, there are many cool things to see there.

Vermillion, Port Clinton, and even Norwalk should have enough shops and other things to keep you occupied.

Erie County conservation league has shoots every Saturday and Sunday. Take a look at the schedule to see what is going on. Don't let the staff at Cedar Point know if you are bringing firearms, they will make you check them at the front desk.

There is actually a lot to do at Cedar Point without even going into the park. Take a walk down the boardwalk at dusk, or at sunrise, your wife will love it. Hang out at the beach, rent a jet ski, go parasailing.

If you want to go fishing, find the Clevelander over at Sawmill Creek for a great head boat. Don't know what they are fishing for right now, but you most likely will find either perch or walleye.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Go see Marblehead Lighthouse...nice place.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]
You can shoot trap and skeet at the Erie County Conservation League. It is off Rt 250, just 15 minutes from Cedar Point.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Go see Marblehead Lighthouse...nice place.
View Quote
Did that yesterday.  Climbed the 77 steps.  Legs are still hurting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
We went to bw last night.  It was ............interesting...............

We did Kelly's Island on Wednesday, PIB on Thursday.  PIB was actually more fun. Saw a drunk chick fall out of a golf cart, lose her shorts, and then lay in the parking lot laughing.  Her friends got her up & they all shuffled into Hooligans,

Had lunch at Mossbacks. . We left before the party really got going.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top