Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2017 2:34:23 PM EDT
I'm going to be moving in 2 months. The HOA at the new home only allows fences to be 4 feet high, which does nothing for privacy in my opinion. That leaves me with planting trees that provide good privacy (basically a 10-15' wall) from the other neighbor.

Before going to the tree farm/nursery and asking what they suggest, does anyone have suggestions on what would provide year round privacy given the fluctuating weather we have in NE OH?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have arborvitae along both of my fence lines, they are a very effective "privacy fence" when they grow up.  They are relatively cheap as far as trees go and seem to grow in just about any soil.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
2 staggered rows of pine or spruce trees will give almost instant privacy if you get them about 6 tall ' from the nursery
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Evergreen trees work great. I had three planted about 4 years ago, they've gotten a lot bigger, and I haven't even watered them one time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Arborvitae.  They grow like weeds and will fill in very quickly.

-- Chuck
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
HOA
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

HOA
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Is there a type of Arborvitae tree that will max out at around 10' tall?  I want tree that won't grow too large to fill in few spaces in the back yard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there a type of Arborvitae tree that will max out at around 10' tall?  I want tree that won't grow too large to fill in few spaces in the back yard.
View Quote
Not sure what type mine are, they were already there when we moved in but mine top out at about 9-10'.  I think that's pretty average for the type.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just buy normal ones and keep them trimmed?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a few Leyland Cypress after reading about them here recently.  Fast growing.  $7.98 for about 2' tall at Lowes.  Didn't want to spend too much in case a stupid buck decides to scrape and kill these too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just bought a few Leyland Cypress after reading about them here recently.  Fast growing.  $7.98 for about 2' tall at Lowes.  Didn't want to spend too much in case a stupid buck decides to scrape and kill these too.
View Quote
If the deer are getting to them, you can plant a row of boxwood or barberry in front to keep the deer away.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top