Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 2:44:33 PM EDT
I was talking to a guy this week who said his FFL told him he had to provide the serial number of the gun, and buyer's information to the city his FFL is located in per city ordinance.

Does Ohio law allow for the cities to collect this information?

I know Mayfield and/or Mayfield Hts wanted to make its citizen's do some sort of "registration" back in 2013-ish, but it never went anywhere that I know of, and around that time I thought Ohio neutered cities in their attempts to skirt the second amendment.

thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
akron was doing it but all the ffl's moved out so f--k them

nosy lil twits

no 1 else in summit  cty was that stupid that i know of

1texan
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
For multiple handgun sales they have to send to local Leo but that is federal law I believe. ORC 9.68 should not allow cities to do that otherwise as far as I know
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ORC 9.68 should not allow cities to do that otherwise as far as I know
View Quote
Correct.  OP, what is the city?

State preemption outlaws a local ordinance of this nature.  The relevant words are bolded below:

9.68 Right to bear arms - challenge to law.

(A) The individual right to keep and bear arms, being a fundamental individual right that predates the United States Constitution and Ohio Constitution, and being a constitutionally protected right in every part of Ohio, the general assembly finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state regulating the ownership, possession, purchase, other acquisition, transport, storage, carrying, sale, or other transfer of firearms, their components, and their ammunition. Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.
(B) In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person, group, or entity that prevails in a challenge to an ordinance, rule, or regulation as being in conflict with this section.
(C) As used in this section:
(1) The possession, transporting, or carrying of firearms, their components, or their ammunition include, but are not limited to, the possession, transporting, or carrying, openly or concealed on a person's person or concealed ready at hand, of firearms, their components, or their ammunition.
(2) "Firearm" has the same meaning as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

(D) This section does not apply to either of the following:
(1) A zoning ordinance that regulates or prohibits the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for residential or agricultural uses;
(2) A zoning ordinance that specifies the hours of operation or the geographic areas where the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms may occur, provided that the zoning ordinance is consistent with zoning ordinances for other retail establishments in the same geographic area and does not result in a de facto prohibition of the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for commercial, retail, or industrial uses.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The city is Aurora, Ohio.

I was told the ordinance has been on the books since the 70's, but not enforced until the new police chief took over a couple years ago and the guy I talked to said he was not made aware of it until he had to renew his FFL and Aurora let him know the "new"/old rule is now being enforced.

I was told it is handgun only, and for any amount, even one, but never for long guns or receivers, regardless of amount.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, it's there, found it in their ordinances:

(f)    Records.       (1)    Every firearms dealer shall maintain a record of the sale of
handguns.   Such record of sale shall contain the name of the firearms
dealer; the place and date of the sale; the name, address, age and
Social Security number of the purchaser; and shall identify such handgun
by manufacturer, model number of name, type, caliber and serial number.
If such weapon does not bear a serial number or is other than a
standard model, or has been modified and improved, the record of sale
shall give a brief description of the weapon including such information
as may be necessary to identify it. The record of sale shall include
reference to the license or temporary permit of the purchaser issued
pursuant to Section $jumplink_md=target-id=0-0-0-1493]672.07, or, if the purchaser is a nonresident of the City, then such
information as is contained in a valid permit, authorization or
identification as may be required by the laws of residence of the
purchaser. Each such record of sale shall be signed by the purchaser and
the salesman and no sale shall be made unless such license or temporary
permit is exhibited by the purchaser. In the case of sales from a
wholesale distributor to a dealer, the license number of the dealer
shall  be recorded in lieu of the aforesaid identification card.

(2)    Every firearms dealer shall, on or before the fifth day of each
month, furnish to the Chief of Police a copy of the record of sales of
handguns made during the preceding month, and shall make available at
all times to the Chief or his duly authorized agents the record of sales
of all firearms   required to be kept pursuant to the provisions of the
Federal Firearms Act. In the case of a wholesale distributor, its
records shall be made available at all times in lieu of the foregoing.

(3)    No firearms dealer or any agent or employee of such dealer shall
fail to comply with this section or knowingly cause any false
information to be entered on a record of sale of any handgun, and no
purchaser of any handgun shall give any false information for entry on
such record of sale.

(4)    As used in this section the term "wholesale distributor" means an
individual, partnership or corporation selling only to licensed dealers
and not at retail or otherwise to individual consumers.

Looks like they require him to get a local sales license as well!  Somebody needs their dick-slapped on this one.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top