Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/3/2017 2:17:37 PM EDT
All pro-gun Ohioans,

HB142, which repeals the duty to actively notify LEO when you are carrying concealed, has been scheduled for a second (proponent) hearing in committee on May 16th at 4pm in the Statehouse room #115.

If you would like to come speak in support of this bill please do so and bring 25 copies of your remarks for the committee.

If you cannot attend but would like to submit written testimony please message me.  If you get me your written testimony by the evening of May14th I will include it with the big stack of other testimony that Ohioans for Concealed Carry (OFCC) is compiling for the committee members.

In general, please contact your state representative and express support for this pro-gun bill HB142.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Fantastic. I had no idea this bill had been introduced.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#2]
No time during the week, but I'll see if I can draft something up Saturday.

Is there any residency requirement to be heard? I'm a full fledged tax paying, registered to vote ohian, just haven't been in the state for more than 30 days. I'd hate to have my statement thrown out because I haven't lived here for X long.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I think if this is repealed, I will continue to notify.  Here's why...

I have lived on OH 20 years and have been pulled over a little more than 20 times, mostly speeding, some red lights.  

I was batting about .500 whether I got a ticket or not before my CCW.  Since getting my CCW, I have been pulled over 4 or 5 times  and have only been given one ticket, 71 in a 55 by a sheriff's deputy.  I think telling the cop about the CCW puts the officer and ease and let's them know you're a good guy, given the requirements for a CCW.  

I am not a proponent of the requirement, I am just pointing out there is a benefit to the practice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
71 in a 55???  It must have been me.
View Quote
County Route 17 in Ottawa County.  The deputy was nice enough...it was a beautiful spring afternoon, going home from work, just one of those days you put the hammer down.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the written supportive remarks sent to you need any particular info included or just our thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No time during the week, but I'll see if I can draft something up Saturday.

Is there any residency requirement to be heard? I'm a full fledged tax paying, registered to vote ohian, just haven't been in the state for more than 30 days. I'd hate to have my statement thrown out because I haven't lived here for X long.
View Quote
There is no minimum residency requirement to be heard.  If you're a pro-gun, Ohio voter you have a right to be heard.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think if this is repealed, I will continue to notify.  Here's why...

I have lived on OH 20 years and have been pulled over a little more than 20 times, mostly speeding, some red lights.  

I was batting about .500 whether I got a ticket or not before my CCW.  Since getting my CCW, I have been pulled over 4 or 5 times  and have only been given one ticket, 71 in a 55 by a sheriff's deputy.  I think telling the cop about the CCW puts the officer and ease and let's them know you're a good guy, given the requirements for a CCW.  

I am not a proponent of the requirement, I am just pointing out there is a benefit to the practice.  
View Quote
I dig it.  Being polite to LEOs is well and good.  I encourage everyone to be polite, especially during LEO interactions.  I just don't want the current law to continue to be abused (and it is well documented that it has been abused).  The current status of punishing someone who fails to notify with an M1, the harshest such penalty in the USA, is just absurd.

Besides which, nothing in this bill will remove the information about your CHL status from Ohio's LEADS system.  So when the cop pulls you over and runs your plates he will know even before getting out of his cruiser that you have a CHL.  Requiring us to remind him of what he just saw on his computer is silly.  They know, even before they get to your window.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does the written supportive remarks sent to you need any particular info included or just our thoughts?
View Quote
If you could include formally addressing the committee chair, ranking minority member and then the committee as a whole in your first paragraph that's an excellent start (as far as formatting is concerned).  I try to keep it to 1 page because...well...nobody on the committee is going to turn a page to get to your point.

Here's a link to the committee hearing this bill:
Ohio House Federalism & Interstate Relations Committee

So that's Chair Roegner and Ranking Member Leland who you could specifically address your comments to.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
As we enter into this Independence Day holiday weekend we should all reflect on the founder's drive to protect our freedoms. Today we have our own battles to fight, and this is your trumpet call to action:
This Wednesday 7/5/2017 there will be a VERY IMPORTANT hearing in the Ohio House Federalism & Interstate Relations Committee at 1pm (Statehouse, Room #115). Two (2) of our high priority pro-gun bills are on the list as having possible votes. Among them is HB142 (repeals active notification requirement for CHL holders when stopped by law enforcement), which OFCC will be scoring as a KEY VOTE for which legislators respect our rights.

But all is not sunshine and roses - there is the possibility of an amendment that could water down HB142. It is imperative that HB142 get a fair up-or-down vote with the AS INTRODUCED LANGUAGE. We know full well that this is the #1 issue to our members and we're pulling with you on this critical bill.

Here's the list of all the bills to be considered:
HB142 (notification repeal)
HB233 (decriminalizing no-guns signs)

Please CALL & EMAIL your state representatives indicating your support for these bills! Reiterate that HB142's AS INTRODUCED LANGUAGE is what needs to move forward. You can find your state representative by going to the "Member Search" tool at the bottom left of this page and entering your zip code:
http://www.ohiohouse.gov/index

If these bill(s) get voted out of committee on Wednesday there is the possibility of a full house floor vote on Thursday 7/6/2017! This would be the last chance for the house to act before the summer recess.

Don't let this golden opportunity slip by!
Call/email your representative today!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Any updates?
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top