Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 9:45:31 AM EDT
I want one.  Buds has them and ships free but they say they're not shipping to Ohio.  Anyone know why this would be a no go for us Buckeyes?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea  why. I bought mine at rural king in wooster.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought maybe there was something in the ORC about not having shotguns with barrela less that 18.5".  But I dont remember that.  Could be something about a locality have restrictions.  Like when online dealers wouldn't ship standard capacity mags to Ohio because Cleveland sucks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Contact them by phone and find out why I am curious and plus they are loosing a sale. Maybe it's a mistake. Please report back.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
(F) "Sawed-off firearm" means a shotgun with a barrel less than eighteen inches long, or a rifle with a barrel less than sixteen inches long, or a shotgun or rifle less than twenty-six inches long overall.
Lawriter - ORC - 2923.11 Weapons control definitions.
codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.11

May have something to do with it?? not sure
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I kinda thought there might be somethibg like that in the ORC.  I read somewhere that TX has a similar law in place.

Where does it ban sawed off firearms?  Are registered SBR illegal too then?

Federally the shockwave is not a shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
By the definition of the shockwave it is OTHER as it was transferred to me on the 4473 not a shotgun. I think we are fine to not worry about it. Now if you get into trouble doing something stupid with it then I think they may go full out on charges. I am not a lawyer though. Plus mine is 26.5 inches long. I put mine together last year as Mossberg wasn't making them yet at that time. Hard to tell, I bet they can criminally charge you for a fart if you are dumb enough to fart in an elevator with the wrong cop. LoL
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
From my understanding of the Shockwave and now the new Remington 870, they get around the regulation this way:

It doesn't have a pistol grip, it is not meant to be shouldered, it has an overall length greater than 26", it does not have a rifled barrel and it is less than 5 lbs.

With that, it does not meet the definition of a shotgun, pistol or rifle so it is categorized simply as a "Firearm" so it is a Title 1 weapon not a Title 2 weapon. Thus, should be 4473'd as "other." Also the fact it is factory produced, the same way you can't make a rifle a pistol.  You can't make a shotgun an 'other'.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Agreed, and much better said than me. LoL The Ohio law would need a court decision to set precedence or a new law specifically addressing this gun I would think.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#10]
So, Bud's is just being over reactive?

Eta: oooh, I hadn't seen the 870.  I like the looks of it better,,,,
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Blackwing sells them, $379.  They had several.  I asked them about restrictions and they said that the Mossberg rep contacted the state asking for clarification on the legality and their good to go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blackwing sells them, $379.  They had several.  I asked them about restrictions and they said that the Mossberg rep contacted the state asking for clarification on the legality and their good to go.
View Quote
Is that the 500 or 590 version?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#13]
The Mossberg built ones are all 590s.  
I'm trying to convince my wife as we speak..
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, the last one at blackwing followed me home today.  

I shot a couple boxes of slugs on their range.  That was fun, I had a tendency to shoot high.  I was shooting in the "pushed out" position.

The funny thing is, the box says you can't shoot it from the shoulder.  

I think this is going to be a host for a SBS.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#16]
interesting. I saw one on Armslist for sale in January.  Was is a fake or did Mossberg have them out by then?

It sold for around $700.00
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't think the mossberg ones were out in January.  

BUT, you could build one yourself from a PGO 500, the raptor grip from Shockwave, and a 14" front end kit.  

But you'd have to buy each of those seperately, making it cost prohibitive.  Hence thebone you saw selling for$700. That's why the Mossberg is great.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#18]
iirc the Remington is one less? 4+1?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
iirc the Remington is one less? 4+1?
View Quote
If you are talking about the 870 Tac-14 Yes it is 4+1.Tac-14
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Yea I built my shockwave I wish I had known they would start making them I would have waited. I'm still happy with mine though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Where does it ban sawed off firearms?  Are registered SBR illegal too then?
View Quote
Ohio Revised Code 2923.11 defines dangerous ordnance

Ohio Revised Code 2923.17 bans dangerous ordnance

Ohio Revised Code 2923.17 (C)(5) exempts owners of dangerous ordnance registered with ATF:

(5) Owners of dangerous ordnance registered in the national firearms registration and transfer record pursuant to the act of October 22, 1968, 82 Stat. 1229, 26 U.S.C. 5841, and any amendments or additions thereto or reenactments thereof, and regulations issued thereunder;

ORC 2923.11 says:

(F) "Sawed-off firearm" means a shotgun with a barrel less than eighteen inches long, or a rifle with a barrel less than sixteen inches long, or a shotgun or rifle less than twenty-six inches long overall.

but it does not define "shotgun"

There is no definition of "other firearm" in Ohio law, so we're assuming the federal definition applies.

I'm glad to hear Blackwing is selling them and checked with the state first; still, that's no guarantee some prosecutor won't interpret the law differently.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Agreed don't be stupid so stupid interpretations of laws work against you. simple
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought one at a local shop in Mahoning County. He's out of stock at the moment or I'd offer the shop name, but obviously a few shops can get em here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought one at a local shop in Mahoning County. He's out of stock at the moment or I'd offer the shop name, but obviously a few shops can get em here.
View Quote
Howdy neighbor!

I picked one up in Mahoning County as well. $389 + tax. 417.07 total...

Supposedly the shop ordered 12 more or so.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Howdy neighbor!

I picked one up in Mahoning County as well. $389 + tax. 417.07 total...

Supposedly the shop ordered 12 more or so.
View Quote
Didn't happen to be in Austintown would it?

I actually live in Portage, but near the Mahoning border.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Didn't happen to be in Austintown would it?

I actually live in Portage, but near the Mahoning border.
View Quote
Canfield.   I work on the youngstown/austintown border... There *might* be a very large sign with my last name on i680.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#27]
And I'd bet you live on a Lake.  LOL, if you're who I think, I actually know you. kinda...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And I'd bet you live on a Lake.  LOL, if you're who I think, I actually know you. kinda...
View Quote
Yep. I do.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Rural King in Huber Heights has one.  $359 plus tax.  

Tempted.  Oh so tempted. . . .
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Rural King in Huber Heights has one.  $359 plus tax.  

Tempted.  Oh so tempted. . . .
View Quote
Buy it, The thing is a blast! It's neat factor is 15/10.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Buy it, The thing is a blast! It's neat factor is 15/10.
View Quote
Yeah, it's a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Looking for one of the Remington ones now!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#33]
These guys say not legal!

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/mossberg-590-shockwave-legal-ohio

I have a thread in GD about this, should be entertaining.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#34]
If these are truly illegal in Ohio, it might get interesting. My local dealers can't keep them in stock. One said they sold 15 in the last two weeks with more on back order. If someone purchase one, what's going to happen? Most people don't follow this stuff or live on some gun board.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I have seen a few of the Black Aces mag fed short barrel non-NFA shotties.  I'd imagine they fall into the same category in OH laws.

ETA: It all depends on Ohio's legal definition of a "shotgun" vs the federal definition.  We all remember the >31 round capacity = machine gun laws right?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it a handgun by definition?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope, it's an AOW (Any Other Weapon) by definition.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually classified as a Firearm by the ATF and should be marked on the 4473 as Other when transferred. No tax stamp is needed as would be the case with an AOW ($5.00).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Federally:
It's not a pistol.
It is not a shotgun.  Therefore it cannot be a SBS.
It is not a rifle.  Therefore it cannot be an SBR.

That makes it a "firearm" federally and in Ohio.  Unless Ohio has some definition of "shotgun" different from the federal definition.

The Buckeye link says just that, right before they say, so it's banned in Ohio.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Federally:
It's not a pistol.
It is not a shotgun.  Therefore it cannot be a SBS.
It is not a rifle.  Therefore it cannot be an SBR.

That makes it a "firearm" federally and in Ohio.  Unless Ohio has some definition of "shotgun" different from the federal definition.

The Buckeye link says just that, right before they say, so it's banned in Ohio.
View Quote
Yep.  That article is just an attorney's opinion, but ultimately it would take a court case to decide.

The Ohio Revised Code uses the term "shotgun" several times in it's weapons control sections, but never provides a definition for the term.  This is where the problem exists.

If a court were to rule that the Shockwave is a shotgun, then it would fit Ohio's definition of a "sawed-off firearm" and thus be illegal.

If the Shockwave isn't a shotgun under Ohio law, then the argument becomes, what is it?  It could meet Ohio's ambiguous "firearm" definition easily in a similar way that it does the federal equivalent, and then it could be legal.  It might even fit Ohio's definition of a "handgun" if you can prove it's designed to be held with one hand (might be tough for a pump-action), as our definition for handgun does not include the requirement of a rifled barrel as the federal handgun definition does.  If it were determined to fit the Ohio "handgun" definition, then it would be legal...

It all hinges on whether they would determine if the Shockwave is a "shotgun" or not under OH law.  If it is, it's illegal.  It's interesting to note that Mossberg never refers to it using the term shotgun on their web page.  And I would have to assume that Mossberg sought the opinion of some authority in OH before moving ahead to sell them here...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And I would have to assume that Mossberg sought the opinion of some authority in OH before moving ahead to sell them here...
View Quote
Mossberg may have sold them to out-of-state distributors, then those distributors do what they want.  Bud's said they would not ship to Ohio, but some other distributor could have sold them to in-state dealers.  What a mess.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are retarded.....

It is no more a shotgun then a 410 derringer is or a flare pistol.....

It is a firearm... No more no less
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's interesting to note that Mossberg never refers to it using the term shotgun on their web page.  And I would have to assume that Mossberg sought the opinion of some authority in OH before moving ahead to sell them here...
View Quote
I noticed Mossberg put their Shockwave version under Pistol Grip Firearms & AOWs on the website. Remington has it listed under the Shotguns section on their website, which leads me to believe they put a little less thought into the technicalities.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top