Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2017 11:14:53 AM EDT
Hi Buckeye ARfcommers!

Me and the Fam Unit will be visiting Columbus for a few days this Summer.  I haven't been down there in about 10 years so I have no idea of the current state of the locale.  Looking for a decent area to stay overnight down there.  Fairly close (15-20 mins) to Nationwide Arena would be my other goal.

Any help would be appreciated!

R
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If you stay on the north west side (Dublin area)  you will do OK.. Nice area... and easy access to the arena district..
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't stay anywhere off of Morse Rd and I-71, or 161/Dublin-Granville, and I-71.

Unless of course, you want to experience, "I wish a MFer would..." moments while outside.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If your just looking for a place to stay , Grovecity would be good. Pick a hotel on Stringtown road near 71.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Anywhere inside the I-670, I-70, I-71 and SR-315 down town loop would be a safe bet, and very close to the arena
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#5]
There are several new hotels on Olentangy River Rd between Ackerman Rd and North Broadway. Close to 315 ramps also.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't stay anywhere off of Morse Rd and I-71, or 161/Dublin-Granville, and I-71.

Unless of course, you want to experience, "I wish a MFer would..." moments while outside.
View Quote
Hey, that is where I live.  I call it a "Target Rich Enviroment"
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the help.  Lots to choose from   I think my daughter mentioned a Embassy Suites in Dublin?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help.  Lots to choose from   I think my daughter mentioned a Embassy Suites in Dublin?
View Quote
That is a nice place and that is a great area.  Depending on when you are visiting you may want to book early.

Rooms are probably already sold out for the week of the Memorial golf tournament (May 29-June 4) and the will fill up for the weekend of the Dublin Irish Festival (Aug 4,5,6)

Close to the Embassy Suites in the same area of Dublin is a brand new Residence Inn Marriott that looks very nice.

Those hotels are close to the 270 loop and you can get to Nationwide area pretty easily.  

If you want to look at other areas There's a nice Hilton on Polaris Parkway.  This area is nice and has tons of shopping and restaurants close by.  It is close to I71 and an easy drive to downtown.

If you want to stay near actual downtown there is a nice Hilton down there and a Crown Plaza that is nice.  There is a newer Hampton Inn downtown which is on the main drag through the city and a couple blocks from the arena.

Another option is The Blackwell hotel.  It is a nice place on OSU campus if you want that experience.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I think that's a bit of a hike from Dublin or Polaris, particularly depending on when you plan on making the drive back and forth and traffic. I'd really check out hotels in the downtown/Arena District area or Short North.

None of those areas are bad at all, plus you could walk to the arena.

The other possibility is that there are some hotels near Grandview Heights which are pretty close.

Polaris and Dublin are basically staying in the suburbs. Locals can get from there to the arena in 15 minutes, traffic permitting, because they know where they're going. If you're not familiar with the area I'd stay closer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There are several new hotels on Olentangy River Rd between Ackerman Rd and North Broadway. Close to 315 ramps also.
View Quote
This.

Nationwide arena is literally 5 mins from there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Great points about being unfamiliar with the area and driving back and forth  I believe I will say closer now.  Once again I really appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Hilton Columbus across the from convention center.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#13]
The Arena District right around the convention center has several hotels. Some higher end, some budget. I have stayed at the Red Roof down there and it was perfectly fine for 1-3 nights. I'd stay down there and save myself the ~15 minute drive in.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hilton Columbus across the from convention center
View Quote
I stayed there last fall and it was a very nice hotel.

I would added the Drury Inn, just stayed there Tuesday night,  next to the convention center. Easy walk to the Arena District. Parking included, as well as breakfast and light dinner.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the continued help.  I'm going to book it tomorrow.  Sure hope I can get into one of the closer ones you guys reccomended.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the continued help.  I'm going to book it tomorrow.  Sure hope I can get into one of the closer ones you guys reccomended.
View Quote
Glad to help. Let us know if you want food recommendations, we love giving those!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#17]
What are you coming to Columbus for?
If visiting in-laws, we can probably take you shooting one day. 
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Leisure_Shoot........lol Geez I wish but I'm not coming in solo though.  Providing "security" for daughter and cousins for a Twenty One Pilots show!

Change of venue  Some place called Jerome Schottenstein Center  Will that change anything?  I'm still hoping to be right by it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#19]
That's on campus. It's where the Buckeyes play basketball and hockey. Plenty of hotels nearby (Ackerman to North Broadway earlier mentioned and all over) and just off the freeway so Embassy Suites earlier mentioned would work great, too. Just about anywhere in Columbus is within a half hour of the Schott.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#20]
So the place where we're staying is almost exactly a mile North away from the Schott arena. On Olentangy River rd.  How much of a "professional victim" would I be if we walked them to and from (at night) the show.  I'm thinking driving might be a PIA especially after the concert. 

PS I'll take everyone up on the offer for restaurant recommendations for me and the wife.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Uber.  Don't walk. I would not consider this a terribly unsafe area, but a mile is a lot at night. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Uber.  Don't walk. I would not consider this a terribly unsafe area, but a mile is a lot at night. 
View Quote
Hey! This old guy didn't consider that!  Better idea for sure.  Geez see what I meant about being a professional victim! :D
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Hello everyone  I'm just bumping this back up as our trip is getting close.  Ideas for a nice place to eat and or something to do/see in the general area while we're there?  My daughter mentioned some crazy big mall?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hello everyone  I'm just bumping this back up as our trip is getting close.  Ideas for a nice place to eat and or something to do/see in the general area while we're there?  My daughter mentioned some crazy big mall?
View Quote
Polaris.  North side.  Off I-71.  It the first exit north of our outerbelt.  It's a high end mall.  Just like most other malls, I would say.
If you go up there,  Quaker Steak & Lube is some of the best wings you can find.

Thurman Cafe is south of downtown, if you are interested in visiting places you may have seen on food channel.
The Thurmantor Burger Challenge- Thurman's Cafe Columbus, Ohio
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Dublin is not close to the arena district by any stretch.  You can stay downtown and walk to the arena district if that's your goal, but the the drive from Dublin, Ganhanna, Worthington Hilliard or Westerville would about the same as everything seems to be about 20 mins away.

Personally, the arena district wouldn't be real high on my list.  Granview, Dublin or Gahanna have good bar scene with great food options.  Anymore, there are endless options all over Cbus.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So the place where we're staying is almost exactly a mile North away from the Schott arena. On Olentangy River rd.  How much of a "professional victim" would I be if we walked them to and from (at night) the show.  I'm thinking driving might be a PIA especially after the concert. 

PS I'll take everyone up on the offer for restaurant recommendations for me and the wife.  Thanks!
View Quote
Most of those hotels around there are new/remodeled

That are is pretty safe but, unless changes have been made, when I went to OSU there were not really any sidewalks along that stretch of Olentangy River Road, so a walk at night might be difficult but it's a safe, quiet area for the most part.  The hotels over there are outside of the hustle and bustle of the actual High Street campus area.  

Get lunch at Lavash Cafe on High Street when you are in town.  It's Greek food and is great.  It's close to where you will be staying.  Order Hounddogs pizza to your hotel to enjoy after the show.  Cap City Diner is a couple miles south of there on Olentangy and a great dinner spot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Just to reiterate......Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I assume you are already here?  If you have time, you should really, really try to go 1:15 hour/s west to the USAF Museum.  
It's on the east side of Dayton.
It is comparable,and I would guess better than the Smithsonian/Udvar-Hazy flight museum.

ETA
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I assume you are already here?  If you have time, you should really, really try to go 1:15 west to the USAF Museum.  
It's on the east side of Dayton.
It is comparable,and I would guess better than the Smithsonian/Udvar-Hazy flight museum.
View Quote
Hey that's a great idea!  Will be there in a few hours.  I may check that out tomorrow.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably too late now---SCHMIDT'S if you like German food--it's about 4 blocks from Thurman's...Wish I would have read this earlier..I have stayed at the Blackwell for the State Wrestling Tourn. a a few months ago and the Red Roof Inn on

Olentangy three weeks ago---The Blackwell--VERY nice....The Red Roof actually shocked me, as I used to drop a roommate off i college to shack up with his girlfriend for a weekend...it WAS trash--now it is actually quite respectable..And when I

go for the Prosecutor's convention I stay at the Drury.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I was going to suggest staying in Worthington right off of 270 at RT 23. There are a few hotels there and it's a good area. You are also close to Polaris where there is plenty of good eating places.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top