Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 4:56:07 PM EDT
Contact you state senators and ask them to vote against this huge increase in License plate fees as proposed by Bill Coley.

According to Senator Coley, all the high gas mileage cars are causing less gas to be bought which does not allow the state to collect enough money for taxes to build and upkeep our roads.

Well, according to me, a few years back our license plate fees went up $5 each because they said the same thing about part of the gas taxes going to pay for OHP. OHP was not getting enough

money to operate, so they added a five dollar fee to plates. So, did gas taxes go down??? Hell no, when was the last time taxes went down? Where did the money that was going to OHP from

gas taxes go after that? Let" face it,  no matter how much money we give our city, state and Federal govts, it will never be enough. WE have to say enough. The same is true of our school

districts. Just throwing money at our school systems does not automatically equal a good school.

Our state, not unlike many others has been quietly upping the amount they get for many years now.

It was the lotto. Vote in the lottery and our schools will never need any more money. The good thing is we are not forced to play the lotto..

Next was the state income tax...again it was vote it in and our schools will be all set with money...right. Since then around her our property taxes for our schools has increased at least 5

times. Everytime somebody needs more money they just shake the tax tree, be it city, state or federal.

Call, or email your state senator and tell them no on above listed SB 113. That is almost $10/month if you have just one vehicle...what about a motorcycle, atv or utv, boat trailer, utility trailer,

camper and on and on.

Just google Ohio State senator and then enter you zip code after you find the page and it will tell you who your senator is. You can even email Bill Coley and let him know he must be a

Democrat and not A Republican.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If they float a $100 increase, they must think we will be ecstatic when we get a $50 increase instead.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I just did.  Unbelievable.  I'm not walking in to the BMV with 1k every year in fees because I own a few cars.  I only drive one at a time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The solution is to lower the driving age to 9 years old.

Enough with these kids taking the bus to school.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
According to nbc4i.com

Senate Bill 113 would also raise the registration fee for commercial cars and trucks to $684.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Notified my senators. If commercial registrations went up to nearly $700 each a year, we would go out of business, or loose all our business due to fee increases.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My license plate bill is already in the tens of thousands of dollars a year.

This is fucking crazy. I'll license all my trucks in another state if it gets anymore expensive.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Good comments here guys, this is nuts. They look around at other states and say hey, those states all charge this. So a state like Tenn has a 10% sales tax, but no state income tax too.
They do not compare apples to apples.

Ohio is losing residents. Part of the reason is all the jobs that have been lost.

Yeah, like I have 4 cars that I drive, 2 I do not.

I have 2 motorcycles I drive.  I have an ATV and UTV which have to be licensed to drive in Wayne Nat Forest.

I have utility trailers.

So, yeah it would be a huge increase that I would have to do something different if they vote that in.

Like stated above, no matter how many vehicles you own, you only drive one at a time. So, things like plates and insurance, you pay for that are dupes.

It is strange that when you are 16 your insurance is really high priced...new driver higher risk. But if you have Shelby GT, your insurance is really high, high pwrformance vehicle.

So, my question to my insurance agent was are you insuring the vehicle or the driver??

If you are insuring the vehicle, why do you pay more if you are high risk or have a lot moving violations?? If you get a DUI, you pay like 2k$ a year for insurance, so are you insuring the driver?

If you are insuring the driver, why do you need insurance on all your vehicles?, Yeah theft, but you have to get it all.

Why can't you just get insured to drive and whatever you drive is covered??  Same way with a plate. Pay to drive a vehicle per year on the roads and no matter the vehicle.

It is a money racket on both counts, insurance and license fees.

Email your Ohio friends and relatives and ask them to contact their Ohio Senators to vote that down.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#8]
They factor in both the vehicle and the driver. Obviously it costs more to replace parts on an expensive car. And the risk is higher on an inexperienced or poor driver.

Multiple vehicle policies ask how much you're using one or the other. And comprehensive insurance is always in place, because your car can be stolen or damaged even with no one using it.

It would be nice if there were half-year registration fees for motorcycles or other cars driven only part of the year.

The fine for not registering within a timely manner is ridiculous, too. Absurd, really. I also don't like the registration & plate requirement for small boat & utility trailers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They factor in both the vehicle and the driver. Obviously it costs more to replace parts on an expensive car. And the risk is higher on an inexperienced or poor driver.

Multiple vehicle policies ask how much you're using one or the other. And comprehensive insurance is always in place, because your car can be stolen or damaged even with no one using it.

It would be nice if there were half-year registration fees for motorcycles or other cars driven only part of the year.

The fine for not registering within a timely manner is ridiculous, too. Absurd, really. I also don't like the registration & plate requirement for small boat & utility trailers.
View Quote
Yeah and then when your kids magically turn old enough to drive, those sunday drive vehicles now have to be insured like full time vehicles. As well as the kid(s) have to be assigned as primary driver(s) to a particular vehicle.

Insurance is a fucking scam
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I got a response from my State Senator, Matt Huffman(strong pro gun) about this issue, but did not want to break any rules and post it here, so I put it in the politician response thread.

It does not say much except for the fact that while adding the extra license fee, they would remove about .28 cents a gallon off the gas taxes. Wow, now that even pisses me off more.

So, the complete burden for the road taxes in this state would be now put on Ohioans and not shared with those from other states who share our roads. Others who drive thru Ohio and stop for

fuel here do not have to pay anything for our roads. I would like to ask the dumbass who suggested that why?? I do talk to my state Senator a few times a year so, I will make a point to ask him

about it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got a response from my State Senator, Matt Huffman(strong pro gun) about this issue, but did not want to break any rules and post it here, so I put it in the politician response thread.

It does not say much except for the fact that while adding the extra license fee, they would remove about .28 cents a gallon off the gas taxes. Wow, now that even pisses me off more.

So, the complete burden for the road taxes in this state would be now put on Ohioans and not shared with those from other states who share our roads. Others who drive thru Ohio and stop for

fuel here do not have to pay anything for our roads. I would like to ask the dumbass who suggested that why?? I do talk to my state Senator a few times a year so, I will make a point to ask him

about it.
View Quote
If I read that bill correctly the .28 off would require the use of a special "card" and would have to be accepted at retailers. Drivers from out of state could also purchase the .28 off gas card for $149. 
This is scammy political crap because we all know the use of such a card will not happen in 100% of fuel purchases and probably closer to 40% and they know that. It also puts a burden on retailers which will drive up consumer prices on everything else at the station.  I emailed my state senator (district 20).

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I read that bill correctly the .28 off would require the use of a special "card" and would have to be accepted at retailers. Drivers from out of state could also purchase the .28 off gas card for $149. 
This is scammy political crap because we all know the use of such a card will not happen in 100% of fuel purchases and probably closer to 40% and they know that. It also puts a burden on retailers which will drive up consumer prices on everything else at the station.  I emailed my state senator (district 20).

View Quote
Yeah even though if they eliminated the gas tax would save me money, I'd rather them not have the ability to determine how many miles I drive. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to mention the bike lanes they're putting on the roads here in Cleveland. The bikes don't pay any fees to drive on the roads. They take a 4 lane road(2 in each direction)and make it 1 lane in each direction, put in a center turn lane and a bike lane on each side and the bikes don't even stop for the red lights. Yet they want more money from me to drive on less road. The same amount of traffic on less road makes for a longer commute, in other words I'm using just as much gas as if I had a bigger engine because I'm wasting it sitting in traffic instead of getting where I'm going.

And Lord knows they have to stop you at EVERY traffic light. You know when you sit thru one red light and then get to the next one doing the speed limit and IT turns red right before you get there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Emailed my Senator and got the standard form response. I told him I thought it was absurd to pay 56 dollars for a sticker for just 1 of the 3 trucks and 2 trailers that I have to tag every year.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

about it.
View Quote
NO WAY will they EVER reduce the gas tax.  They will come up with a last minute reason why it stays. Take that to the bank.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#16]
How about eliminate the front plate requirement and keep Taxes the same.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How about eliminate the front plate requirement and keep Taxes the same.
View Quote
Highway Patrol/ That would lead to bloodbaths in the street!/Highway Patrol
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top