Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 3/23/2017 12:13:18 PM EDT
William S. Knight, 63, explained he is a CCW permit holder and he felt Keith Johnson was going to hurt his son-in-law. He said his son-in-law was trying to prevent Johnson from leaving with the dirt bike.
View Quote
http://fox8.com/2017/03/21/man-charged-in-deadly-akron-shooting-over-stolen-dirt-bike/

911 Recordings:
http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2017/03/streetsboro_man_accused_of_fat.html#incart_river_index
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
White man with ccw killed a black man that was trying to sell a dirt bike that was stolen from white mans garage.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
kinda sounds like the guy was trying to forcibly steal the owners dirt bike.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Dead guy was trying to sell a dirt bike that was stolen, (Father says the man just bought it off a friend and had no idea it was stolen)

Stolen Bikes owners agree to meet Dead guy at his home with the intent to take the bike back. Dead guy says no and blocks them. Stolen bike owners father in law kills guy for not letting them have bike.

Bad shoot. (If the news is 100% on facts) You can't use your gun to take property, should have let the police handle it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep sounds like bad shoot.. the dude is fucked..
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like a bad shoot to me after reading the linked story. It also sounds like it probably was his son in law's bike but they should have let the police do the policing.  I know all too well how infuriating it is to be the victim of property crimes, unfortunately it seems that they allowed it to cloud their judgement...

ETA:  I have a feeling that the local media is going to have a field day with this one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#6]
CCW+poor judgment=criminal case
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dead guy was trying to sell a dirt bike that was stolen, (Father says the man just bought it off a friend and had no idea it was stolen)

Stolen Bikes owners agree to meet Dead guy at his home with the intent to take the bike back. Dead guy says no and blocks them. Stolen bike owners father in law kills guy for not letting them have bike.

Bad shoot. (If the news is 100% on facts) You can't use your gun to take property, should have let the police handle it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair the FIL's statement was that he shot to protect the lives of his daughter and son in law, not to get the dirtbike back.  I think that he is going to have a hard time explaining how there was no chance for deescalating the situation and that lethal force was the only option to protect life and limb.

I agree 100% with your comment in bold.  They get paid to deal with that kind of BS, given the option I'll let them handle it every time...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To be fair the FIL's statement was that he shot to protect the lives of his daughter and son in law, not to get the dirtbike back.  I think that he is going to have a hard time explaining how there was no chance for deescalating the situation and that lethal force was the only option to protect life and limb.

I agree 100% with your comment in bold.  They get paid to deal with that kind of BS, given the option I'll let them handle it every time...
View Quote
another though is there was 3 of them and 1 of him. How was a shooting the only option when the Dead man was not armed in any way. 3 people can take down a man who is swinging, using lethal force against a non-lethal non-threat is once again not okay.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

another though is there was 3 of them and 1 of him. How was a shooting the only option when the Dead man was not armed in any way. 3 people can take down a man who is swinging, using lethal force against a non-lethal non-threat is once again not okay.
View Quote
I think that he's trying to set up a defense saying that in his mind the dirtbike was capable of causing death or great harm.  It seems like a stretch but who knows maybe there is more that hasn't been reported.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:04:59 AM EDT
[#11]
the dirt bike was absolutely his, title and vin matched up.

when he told the seller it was his bike and showed him the title he said to pay him or he was leaving.
that sounds like a normal honest persons response.

if the motorcycle is driving towards him or his family he has the right to defend them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:33:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the dirt bike was absolutely his, title and vin matched up.

when he told the seller it was his bike and showed him the title he said to pay him or he was leaving.
that sounds like a normal honest persons response.

if the motorcycle is driving towards him or his family he has the right to defend them.
View Quote
I agree with you but the problem that I think they are going to run into is that they are more than likely going to be seen as having caused the situation which led to the shooting.  What I got from the links was that the SIL grabbed the bike trying to stop the individual from leaving.  That is the reason he was at risk of being hurt in the first place. Had he let him go no one would have been in danger. 

It it will be interesting to watch his defense play out but ultimately if there isn't more to the story than what is in print I think that he is going to be found guilty.  For instance if it comes out that the seller broke free and then came back to try to run them down it's a very different set of circumstances.

I'm not a lawyer though so I could be wrong about all of this too...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Seems like a bad shoot from what is reported, but the report doesn't even know the difference between CCW and CHL so who believes what the media reports anyway.

Dude's screwed either way, but I don't think it will ever get to a court room. How many potential jurors have ever had their shit stolen and can empathize?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Many years ago we had something similar which resulted into a full fledged riot.

Husband and wife buys son a new bike. They register it with the city and buy a plate for it.

Bike gets stolen(bicycle) and Wife sees bike on a porch just down the street from her house.

Wife calls police. Police check serial number on bike and see it is indeed stolen bike.

A big black woman comes out of house where bike is found and tell police they cannot take bike, it is her sons. Police explain what they found and take bke and start for car.

Big woman jumps on back of one cop, pull his gun from his holster and start trying to shoot him in the head. She fires 2 or 3 shots until cops partner pulls and shoots big woman twice killing her.

The first cop was shot in ear, which is gone and has blood all over face.

Well, after that, The black KKK otherwise known as the Black Panthers came down from Detroit and the short war was on. Woman should NOT have been shot over cops taking her sons bike.

Burning, looting, shooting fire trucks, and police cars and on and on....

Damned if you do call police, damned if you don't. Personally, I think you should be able to shoot someone stealing from you. If you have ever been robbed, it is more than about the money, it

is about as traumatic emotionally, if not more than financially.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seems like a bad shoot from what is reported, but the report doesn't even know the difference between CCW and CHL so who believes what the media reports anyway.
View Quote
Neither does the Franklin County Sheriff website.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Protest planned to demand harsher charges against man who killed another man during confrontation over dirt bike

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/protest-planned-to-demand-harsher-charges-against-man-who-killed-another-man-during-confrontation-over-dirt-bike-1.755771

Police Chief Responds to the Protest:

Cynthia Blake, a concerned citizen, said the lack of a murder charge proved black lives don’t matter as much as white lives.

“That’s bulls***,” Nice said twice in an interview Friday afternoon. “I’m not going to tolerate that nonsense or even get involved in it.”
View Quote
Chief's Response to Claims of Racism
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Protest planned to demand harsher charges against man who killed another man during confrontation over dirt bike

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/protest-planned-to-demand-harsher-charges-against-man-who-killed-another-man-during-confrontation-over-dirt-bike-1.755771

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Cynthia Blake, a concerned citizen, said the lack of a murder charge proved black lives don’t matter as much as white lives.

“That’s bulls***,” Nice said twice in an interview Friday afternoon. “I’m not going to tolerate that nonsense or even get involved in it.”
...and the circus begins.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Many years ago we had something similar which resulted into a full fledged riot.

Husband and wife buys son a new bike. They register it with the city and buy a plate for it.

Bike gets stolen(bicycle) and Wife sees bike on a porch just down the street from her house.

Wife calls police. Police check serial number on bike and see it is indeed stolen bike.

A big black woman comes out of house where bike is found and tell police they cannot take bike, it is her sons. Police explain what they found and take bke and start for car.

Big woman jumps on back of one cop, pull his gun from his holster and start trying to shoot him in the head. She fires 2 or 3 shots until cops partner pulls and shoots big woman twice killing her.

The first cop was shot in ear, which is gone and has blood all over face.

Well, after that, The black KKK otherwise known as the Black Panthers came down from Detroit and the short war was on. Woman should NOT have been shot over cops taking her sons bike.

Burning, looting, shooting fire trucks, and police cars and on and on....

Damned if you do call police, damned if you don't. Personally, I think you should be able to shoot someone stealing from you. If you have ever been robbed, it is more than about the money, it

is about as traumatic emotionally, if not more than financially.
View Quote
Ah..the Lima riots of the 70's!  Good times....
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I agree with you but the problem that I think they are going to run into is that they are more than likely going to be seen as having caused the situation which led to the shooting.  What I got from the links was that the SIL grabbed the bike trying to stop the individual from leaving.  That is the reason he was at risk of being hurt in the first place. Had he let him go no one would have been in danger. 

It it will be interesting to watch his defense play out but ultimately if there isn't more to the story than what is in print I think that he is going to be found guilty.  For instance if it comes out that the seller broke free and then came back to try to run them down it's a very different set of circumstances.

I'm not a lawyer though so I could be wrong about all of this too...
View Quote
"they" didnt steal the bike... 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Grand Jury just amended charges and indicted him on 2 counts of murder and 2 counts of felonious assault.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2017/04/streetsboro_man_charged_with_m.html#incart_river_index
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Forgive my math,  but if there is only one dead guy, how does he get two counts of murder?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Forgive my math,  but if there is only one dead guy, how does he get two counts of murder?
View Quote
Shotgun approach, indictments for as much as feasible and see where it goes

Editted to clarify, different levels of homicide (1 or 2, I believe)
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Grand Jury just amended charges and indicted him on 2 counts of murder and 2 counts of felonious assault.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2017/04/streetsboro_man_charged_with_m.html#incart_river_index
View Quote
Hopefully he didn't tell someone at the bar he was going to go shoot a thief.

Personally, I hope he walks.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top