Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 3/1/2017 9:36:06 PM EDT
I just picked up a shotgun barrel with a stuck choke.  Can anyone recommend a gunsmith to get it out?  I'm in the Akron area but willing to travel or ship if it's worth it.  

I was thinking of picking up one of these from Brownells.  Anyone have any experience? 
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
A few thoughts. Try in this order.

Soak it in Kroil or PB Blaster for a couple of days and see if it loosens up

Hit it with a propane torch and heat it up and bit and see if it comes out.

This is assuming you have the correct removal wrench.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I will 2nd the use of Kroil it works wonders.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The ATF and acetone then heat should do it.

If all else fails, weld a bar across the inside.  Somewhere I have an old socket with a slot cut in it that's been used on an impact to get out more than one stuck tube.  I have a few of them laying around just for show and tell when people don't believe they don't have to be tight and not to shoot steel through the wrong tube.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]
got it soaking in Kroil, Ill give it some time.  Just need to come up with a removal tool.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The ATF and acetone then heat should do it.

If all else fails, weld a bar across the inside.  Somewhere I have an old socket with a slot cut in it that's been used on an impact to get out more than one stuck tube.  I have a few of them laying around just for show and tell when people don't believe they don't have to be tight and not to shoot steel through the wrong tube.
View Quote
do you weld the bar to the choke tube?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Exactly.  But it is a last ditch effort as it trashes the tube.  Just a tack weld at 11 and 5 o'clock.  

Another note on the oil soak then heat method.  Start small, soak it then try to loosen it.  If it won't budge, use a little heat.  Heat gun would be best.  Try not to over heat the barrel.  I recommend against a torch.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
got it soaking in Kroil, Ill give it some time.  Just need to come up with a removal tool.
View Quote

What make and model of barrel are you working with?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a Remington 1100 12ga.  The previous owner buggered up 2 of the choke tube slots.  It's a IC choke, and I have a new one to go in, so I don't care if it gets ruined.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Can you get a remington choke tube wrench on it or have you only tried the spade type tool?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can you get a remington choke tube wrench on it or have you only tried the spade type tool?
View Quote
I haven't tried anything yet.  I don't know if I even have a choke wrench, I got to look in my box of junk.

I bought this barrel knowing it had a stuck choke, the guy used one of those 2pt tools and messed up the choke.

I got this from work, so I'm going to give it a try tonight/tomorrow before I get serious.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]
That easy out would scare me on that thin material. Since you have it soaking in Kroil I would try a 4 prong choke tool and some heat before going to that extreme.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 12 ga. Remington Choke tube tool at home if you want to give it a go. I'm up near Cleveland though, probably just cheaper to buy one than drive up though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a 12 ga. Remington Choke tube tool at home if you want to give it a go. I'm up near Cleveland though, probably just cheaper to buy one than drive up though.
View Quote

The Remington tool will give you more torque to turn the choke out. Don't jack it up any worse trying a coin or other tool.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]
How does the remington choke tool work?  Does it use the 4 slots in the choke?  2 of the slots are bad.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#18]
It uses all 4, but even with a jacked up notch or 2, it could still work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Send it this way,, I have fella that likely could maybe Laser weld something and turn it out

Contact Pete at Wicked Welding (Facebook) / Wicked Weapons

Wicked Welding.com
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Well it came right out with the "easy out" and it didn't need any heat.  The inside of the barrel needs scrubbed, and now I have to figure out where to get chokes tubes since the factory rem choke wont work.

Thanks for all your guys help!

Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad it came out easy for you. Briley does good work. You need to find out if the tube was threaded for their thin wall choke or another factory thread pattern. If it the thin wall you'll need to get one of theirs. Earlier Rem fixed choke barrels weren't thick enough to cut regular threads so they came out with the thin wall version.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#23]
When you put in your new choke tubes, put a verticle stripe of Shooters choice grease on  opposite sides of the choke tube threads before you screw it in. You will never have a stuck tube again. Works just as well on muzzle loader breach plugs too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Glad it came out easy for you. Briley does good work. You need to find out if the tube was threaded for their thin wall choke or another factory thread pattern. If it the thin wall you'll need to get one of theirs. Earlier Rem fixed choke barrels weren't thick enough to cut regular threads so they came out with the thin wall version.
View Quote
Yeah I called Briley and they said I have to send in the choke so they can figure out which one I need.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When you put in your new choke tubes, put a verticle stripe of Shooters choice grease on  opposite sides of the choke tube threads before you screw it in. You will never have a stuck tube again. Works just as well on muzzle loader breach plugs too.
View Quote

For that price, you can have a std size tub or tube of MOBIL-1 Synthetic Grease,, last 10 life times as choke tube lube,,, and DON"T CRANK THE TUBE INTO BARREL,,,, snug is all you need.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#26]
use a heat gun, not a propane torch.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top