Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2017 6:34:23 PM EDT
So, I leave the gun show today. I still had my piston unloaded and the tie on it. I had it on my but not loaded. So I go thru and intersection and am just about clear of it and I see a guy coming at me going pretty fast. He never tried to slow up or swerve to miss me. He plows into my left rear. Of course being in the bigger vehicle he kinda bounced off me.
So, I get out and go up to his car where there are two in the car and ask if okay, he says yeah, you guys ok? Said, yeah fine. I said, I'll call the cops. He says ok, but you know you ran a red light don't you? I said gee looked green to me. I thought my buddy was calling the cops. The guy says, it will be a while for them to come since no injuries, he said we are going to that Mcdonalds right there to eat and will wait for police there. What am I gonna do shoot em or fight em? I pull onto the sidewalk and my buddy asks if we are calling the cops. So I call. He knocked my bumper off and the quarter panel looked like it never got hit.

Cop comes and I say I have a CHL and am carrying. He says thanks for the heads up no problem. I tell him what happened and he asks where other car is. I say he went to eat. Cop says did you let him? I say what am I supposed to do, they looked honest. He says another car says they are not there, hit and run.
I did not get a ticket...at least not so far, but had to drive no more than 40 because he smacked my left rear tire and broke the control arm
But the policeman could not have been nicer. Thanks to the blue for treating me right during the process.
I know now I should have gotten his license number. I guess I am not used to getting into accidents.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
ALWAYS write down a license plate number ASAP after an accident. I also ask to see the other driver's insurance card and drivers license so I can write down pertinent info. I'm not going to force the issue if they don't want to show them to me but I have found that they usually will.

I'm not dogging you OP as I know that it is jarring to be in an accident and you're not always firing on all cylinders right afterwards. Glad to hear that no one was hurt.  Good luck with getting your car fixed...
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Pictures with your phone as quickly as possible would probably be a good idea. Especially of other car with plate info, etc.
Lesson for us all to remember.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pictures with your phone as quickly as possible would probably be a good idea. Especially of other car with plate info, etc.
Lesson for us all to remember.
View Quote

That's what I did after my accident. A photo is worth a thousand words, it gets their plate number and proves how and where the accident took place.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Great advice, not sure why I did not consider taking photos with my phone. I guess I was not thinking very good at all. I asked my buddy to call 911 and after talking to the other guys, I got back in my car and he had not called, so I did. That is when they drove away.
Not sure what would have happened if they claimed I ran a red light and I claimed they ran one? I guess they did not want to stick around to find out? Probably no insurance, no license, maybe warrants, who knows. I guess it should have been a heads up when they were driving older car. Today, it is easy to see all the mistakes I made, starting with going to the last show.

Tomorrow I will call my insurance agent and see what they are going to do.  Thanks for the support and advice, hope I never have to use it again, not used to being in accidents, although I have been to  a few.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great advice, not sure why I did not consider taking photos with my phone. I guess I was not thinking very good at all. I asked my buddy to call 911 and after talking to the other guys, I got back in my car and he had not called, so I did. That is when they drove away.
Not sure what would have happened if they claimed I ran a red light and I claimed they ran one? I guess they did not want to stick around to find out? Probably no insurance, no license, maybe warrants, who knows. I guess it should have been a heads up when they were driving older car. Today, it is easy to see all the mistakes I made, starting with going to the last show.

Tomorrow I will call my insurance agent and see what they are going to do.  Thanks for the support and advice, hope I never have to use it again, not used to being in accidents, although I have been to  a few.
View Quote
With no independent witness, it would be your word against theirs. So, the report would show "unable to determine fault."
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, both would have to pay for own vehicle then.
I got my vehicle in to the body shop today. He says there is extensive suspension damage. He did not give me a due date.
This guy is very good at what he does and you have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
I also got checked out by an eye surgeon and they said I had flashers and floaters caused by the concussion of the crash. Said time will heal it unless my concussive damage occurs.
So, basically I am better off than vehicle.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top