Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2017 11:26:41 PM EDT
It's been years since we've been in an Andersons, as for Giant Eagle I don't care about them - high prices and shitty ass service.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/the-andersons-to-close-all-retail-stores-including-both-in-central-ohio

The Toledo area retailer announced the decision on its Facebook page to cease operations at its stores (Dublin, Blacklick, Maumee and Toledo) between April and June. All of the locations have been open at least 30 years. The Brice Road store opened in 1986, while the one on Sawmill Road opened a year later. A fifth store in Sylvania closed in mid-November. 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Competition, it's a bitch.
We don't have one near here so meh.

This was the first Christmas I didn't walk through Sears buying tools.
Not driving 30 miles round trip to walk through a mini store.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#2]
That's too bad about Anderson's. I imagine Fresh Thyme, Lucky's, and Whole Foods have eaten into its market share.

I don't shop at Giant Eagle...They refused to take my money unless I signed up for a store loyalty/rewards card. Screw that. And yes, really high prices.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#3]
They still sell guns and ammo? Maybe some close out deals...
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Not surprising given what their actual core business is.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to shop in the Maumee store when I worked in Toledo area. Sad to see them go. It was the one stop shop for everything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They still sell guns and ammo? Maybe some close out deals...
View Quote

Not for a long time now.

I cleared out a decent chunk of the .223 and .22 at the Woodville Mall location, when they were discontinuing ammo sales.

I bought a metric crapload of .45 ACP there, over the years, to feed my 1911. A lot of it at under $10 a box (more like $8 iirc)
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#7]
There is one 2 or 3 miles from me. I stopped shopping there about 3 years ago because there are so many other stores to shop at. I did buy a metal bar stool there for $29 on sale to use at my reloading bench.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's too bad about Anderson's. I imagine Fresh Thyme, Lucky's, and Whole Foods have eaten into its market share.

I don't shop at Giant Eagle...They refused to take my money unless I signed up for a store loyalty/rewards card. Screw that. And yes, really high prices.
View Quote

I can't believe the one on 161 is closing. It is in a bad area but EBT sales have to be good. I bet there is a lot of theft by the locals and employees. I heard that is why the Meijers at 161 and Cleveland Ave closed.

Yes the prices are crazy high. I buy a lot of Jalapenos. Everywhere the price is aroung $1.30/pound.  There is was $3.99/pound.  Crazy price.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can't believe the one on 161 is closing. It is in a bad area but EBT sales have to be good. I bet there is a lot of theft by the locals and employees. I heard that is why the Meijers at 161 and Cleveland Ave closed.

Yes the prices are crazy high. I buy a lot of Jalapenos. Everywhere the price is aroung $1.30/pound.  There is was $3.99/pound.  Crazy price.
View Quote

that's not a bad area?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I like those stores. We had one near me and I shopped there a lot. We sometimes go up to the one in Maumee and like going there. I hate that they are closing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]
damn.  I would occasionally make the trek in to buy Straub beer, only place I knew that sold it outside of PA
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#12]
The Giant Eagle on 161 is a hood area.

I have a friend that's a pharmacist for Meijer, and she said the reason they closed the store on Cleveland Ave was due to theft and robberies.

Michelle Obama wants to talk about food deserts in poor neighborhoods, but a big grocery chain can't stay in business because everything gets stolen.

161 and Morse road have literally been taken over by Somalis and descendants from that continent. Our cultures don't mix, and no one cares about anything on that side of town. Legitimate business have closed up. All you have now are check cashing, title loans, and random mini marts/ ethnic grocery stores.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Giant Eagle on 161 is a hood area.

I have a friend that's a pharmacist for Meijer, and she said the reason they closed the store on Cleveland Ave was due to theft and robberies.

Michelle Obama wants to talk about food deserts in poor neighborhoods, but a big grocery chain can't stay in business because everything gets stolen.

161 and Morse road have literally been taken over by Somalis and descendants from that continent. Our cultures don't mix, and no one cares about anything on that side of town. Legitimate business have closed up. All you have now are check cashing, title loans, and random mini marts/ ethnic grocery stores.
View Quote

I would not consider 161 west of 71 as da hood, nor part of Little Somalia, and certainly nothing like 161 & Cleveland where Meijer was.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]
No more Dill dip.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been there once in the last 27 years...in lighter news we are getting a Harbor Frieght here in my AO. Just in time for the trade war with China.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Liked the store on Sawmill Rd, wife and I went up there when we had a chance, got a lot of my carhardt stuff there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

that's not a bad area?
View Quote

The one that's closing is 161/I71.

The New Albany one ain't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would not consider 161 west of 71 as da hood, nor part of Little Somalia, and certainly nothing like 161 & Cleveland where Meijer was.
View Quote

Fire up a crime map. The 161/71 area is a cess pool of Section 8 housing, sleazy hotels, and deteriorating housing, it's rough as fuck. It cleans up fast once you get under the tracks and going towards Worthington, but the immediate area is fooked.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#19]
So...don't rent an apartment at The Continent?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
we're talking about the andersons, not shitting giant eagle 
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The precipitating comment was about Giant Eagle on 161, not the Anderson's on 161.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Nobody wants to read about you guys and your faggoty Columbus issues.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nobody wants to read about you guys and your faggoty Columbus issues.
View Quote

The Short North Giant Eagle is closing
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Will miss the Andersons, it was always a must stop when in Toledo. Lots of good prices and selection of work clothes. I still miss the old "Red Wells" that was located in the parking lot.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#25]
if they're basically closing all stores, what's their revenue then? i saw their new corporate hq off 475 iirc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Grain
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Grain
View Quote

They've got a few elevators in town and have the dock right next to 75.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Was at the Sawmill store yesterday was busy as hell, no major sales going on yet that I could see, heard a cashier tell a lady that they were told they would still be receiving merchandise until late March or early April.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
if they're basically closing all stores, what's their revenue then? i saw their new corporate hq off 475 iirc.
View Quote

They are a large agribusiness company,  Grain trading, fertilizer, moving commodities.  

These stores are nothing to them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They are a large agribusiness company,  Grain trading, fertilizer, moving commodities.  

These stores are nothing to them.
View Quote
didn't know that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
didn't know that.
View Quote
Ethanol
Rail cars
Rail car service
Fertilizer
Grain elevators
And oh yeah... retail.

Retail is the only losing division. It has lost around $20M in the past 8 years.
It goes back to a farm trucking operation that the family owned. The original general store was in front of a grain elevator and really catered to farmers.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top