Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2017 6:36:15 PM EDT
Planning a trip to the National Museum of the US Air Force.

1. Looking to stay somewhere close by so that we can spend a lot of time thoroughly going through the Museum. Maybe also somewhere close to restaurants or other local attractions?

2. Their website states "weapons are not permitted within the museum." Does anyone know if the museum is actually on government property? Can a pistol be secured in a vehicle in the parking lot? I will secure it at the hotel if not allowed on the property by law but would rather not leave it behind if I don't have to.

Don't want to just take a stab in the dark on either of these so I'm hoping to get some information from locals or those who have visited.

Feel free to also send me a PM.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the closest would be Comfort Suits Wright Patterson, about 1 mile away. Looks to be of relatively new construction. No, I've never stayed there and not sure of the local amenities. 

https://www.choicehotels.com/ohio/dayton/comfort-suites-hotels/oh311
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The Museum is located on an active Air Force base and is on government property.

I'd leave the weapon at the hotel.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The last time we went to Wright Pat we went earlier and ate lunch there. That was a few years ago.

The food was fast food cafe style and it was the same price as if going to a fast food place. The cafe is run by the AF.

There is plenty to see there so that your time my kids were younger and raced through every thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Museum is located on an active Air Force base and is on government property.

I'd leave the weapon at the hotel.
View Quote

I figured that this was likely the case.

Still in for suggestions on other local hotels and attractions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a hotel right across the street.

Comfort Suites
5220 Huberville Ave
Dayton, OH  45431
United States

You can literally walk to the museum from there. Within 20 minutes from that hotel are a couple nice malls with good eating. Feel free to message me with more questions. I live in the area and have a buddy who works at the museum.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I am about 25 minutes from there so not real familiar with the area (and I try to stay out of downtown Dayton)... There are other Wright Brother's sights around the area as well.

Good ice cream near by: http://youngsdairy.com/

Good BBQ not too far away: https://www.company7bbq.com/

Not much for the area but good food: https://www.jladder11.com/

Kids?: http://www.scene75.com/
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
there are a bunch of hotels on Colonel Glenn Hwy just across from Wright St University.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park and SunWatch Indian Village sound interesting. It depends on what time of year you'll be visiting, though. Winter is a bad time to visit the Indian Village, obviously.

Fort Ancient always sounded interesting, to me, but I've not been there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of hotels and restaurants off of Col Glenn Hwy, N. Fairfield Road, Pentagon Blvd.

One indoor mall is 5 min away on N. Fairfield Road. Outdoor style mall (the Greene) is 10 min away. Both areas have a lot of restaurants.

If you want to do outdoor stuff, John Bryan State Park and the Clifton Gorge are close. It's about a 5 miles loop and you'll swear you aren't in Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are going for more than one day I completely recommend registering in advance for the restoration hangars tour. YOU HAVE TO REGISTER IN ADVANCE. The tour will take up most of the day, but you'll see some AWESOME stuff.
(I was able to slip in day of but that's rare. register in advance)

My restoration tour almost 3 years ago plus highlights of the museum.

The museum itself is a one day thing. Granted, I go at least once a year.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you are going for more than one day I completely recommend registering in advance for the restoration hangars tour. YOU HAVE TO REGISTER IN ADVANCE. The tour will take up most of the day, but you'll see some AWESOME stuff.
(I was able to slip in day of but that's rare. register in advance)

My restoration tour almost 3 years ago plus highlights of the museum.

The museum itself is a one day thing. Granted, I go at least once a year.
View Quote

I didn't even know you could tour the restoration hangers. That is BAD. ASS!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I just went to the Museum last June and as far as having any type of weapons on you, leave them in the car.  There are posted Air Force Security Forces personnel at the door along with DAF Police.  They will make you go through metal detectors and will search any bags or hand carried items.  The 88th SFS has long had a presence at the museum, it's considered a good post and they will jack up anybody who acts up there and the local cops will roll anybody up if they call.

A guy I used to work with was assigned to that unit before they alarmed the facility and he said that place was pretty spooky at night.  Imagine being a roving patrol in that place with barely any lights on.  Supposedly in the 70's an Airman got spooked by one of the displays and put a round in one of the mannquins.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just went to the Museum last June and as far as having any type of weapons on you, leave them in the car.  There are posted Air Force Security Forces personnel at the door along with DAF Police.  They will make you go through metal detectors and will search any bags or hand carried items.  The 88th SFS has long had a presence at the museum, it's considered a good post and they will jack up anybody who acts up there and the local cops will roll anybody up if they call.
View Quote

Last time I was there I forgot to leave my pocket knife in my car. As I removed my keys and stuff from pockets for the metal detector I felt and pulled out my folder with a big sigh.

The security guard looked at me and sarcastically asked, "Really?"

I replied asking if I looked like I was the type to start carving my name on displays or chase around school groups with it. He told me to put it back in my pocket and not touch it while in the museum. I agreed to his terms and didn't have to walk back to my car.

Do not expect the same results if you try this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]
My son and I went about 2 months ago. The first trip in about 20 years. They have done an awesome job with the new displays.
You can easily spend 4 hours going through it
The food sucks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A guy I used to work with was assigned to that unit before they alarmed the facility and he said that place was pretty spooky at night.  Imagine being a roving patrol in that place with barely any lights on.  Supposedly in the 70's an Airman got spooked by one of the displays and put a round in one of the mannquins.
View Quote

I'll admit it's been a few years since I've been, but at that time there were no metal detectors and the only security were seasoned citizen volunteers manning the information desk. 
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll admit it's been a few years since I've been, but at that time there were no metal detectors and the only security were seasoned citizen volunteers manning the information desk. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went last summer and IIRC there were metal detectors then. Signs indicate you are not permitted to have weapons on property (I may or may not have had my CCW locked in my vehicle). Definitely worth the trip and I wish I could have stayed longer (kids could only last so long).
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since that time, the terrorists won.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I was there a few weeks back. Locked my ccw in the car and a maximum blade length of 2.5 or 3 inches on all knifes. I carted my benchmade mini barrage in.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top