Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/13/2017 2:27:29 PM EDT
I am headed to MI and wanted to fully understand the law on an Ohio CHL to MI.  I found on the state site that we are allowed to carry in MI but when I go to Buckeye Firearms it has MI as tan on the map and I dont understand what that means.  Can someone explain?

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-ccw-reciprocity-map
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the Michigan AG's site. Go with what they say. I carried there in the fall and I am pretty sure it is very similar to ours.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Michigan will only accept Ohio CHL from Ohio residents.   Last session Ohio started allowing out of state persons who work in Ohio to get an Ohio CHL.  This allows school staff who live in IN/KY/PA/MI/WV but work in an Ohio school to meet federal requirement of having a CCW from the state where the school is located to be authorized to carry in the school.  Michigan will not allow these persons to carry in Michigan on an Ohio CHL.  If they want to carry in MI, they need to have CCW from their home state.

If you are an Ohio resident and have an Ohio CHL, it is valid in Michigan.

JLE
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I am reading through the laws and they are all close to Ohio except there is one that states you may not carry in a tavern where the primary source of income is alcohol served in a glass to be consumed on the premises.

Does this mean no bars even if you are not consuming alcohol?  I read it as so.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am reading through the laws and they are all close to Ohio except there is one that states you may not carry in a tavern where the primary source of income is alcohol served in a glass to be consumed on the premises.

View Quote

Probably. Ohio was like that until recently.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What state?  (not Ohio)

-- Chuck
View Quote

Michigan. Thread is about reciprocity Ohio chl in Michigan.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a little late in answering but as a former resident of Michigan with a CPL I can definitely answer that one.  Bars are a definite no-no for CCW.  You could even get in trouble if the local restaurant is more bar than food, so its best to error on the side of caution.  I'm sure your lawyer could argue it but why tempt fate?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier but it may also answer the question for someone else.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top