Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/4/2017 12:43:57 PM EDT
Here's the scoop. My oldest received a ticket in the mail for speeding clocked by one of those fucking cameras in the City of Hamilton.
He wasn't the driver, however the car is in his name. It's a 2nd car that he doesn't drive. They want him to name the driver but he's not actually sure which one it was. He would have to provide 2 names.
You can't see the driver in the video.
What do you do?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Here's the scoop. My oldest received a ticket in the mail for speeding clocked by one of those fucking cameras in the City of Hamilton.
He wasn't the driver, however the car is in his name. It's a 2nd car that he doesn't drive. They want him to name the driver but he's not actually sure which one it was. He would have to provide 2 names.
You can't see the driver in the video.
What do you do?
View Quote

Wouldn't he just ask who was driving and go from there?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
For him it's a matter of not snitching or shitting on friends or family.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Then I guess he pays the fine and move on.  What else can he do if he isn't going to "snitch"?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It just goes to show that you can't do anything without being watched by Big Brother.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I sure as hell am not paying someone else's speeding ticket, family or otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, he should ask who and then tell, they did it, they should live up to it.
I thought they ruled those cameras were not allowed to be used for that in Ohio?
They cannot use them to write tickets around here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, he should ask who and then tell, they did it, they should live up to it.
I thought they ruled those cameras were not allowed to be used for that in Ohio?
They cannot use them to write tickets around here.
View Quote

That's red light cameras, and they aren't outright banned but must have an officer stationed at the intersection

ETA: I did a quick google search and speeding cameras are also included
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2015/12/ohios_traffic_cameras_down_but.html
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
From what I can find so far is the cameras have to be manned. The ticket might not be a points violation.
The city of Hamilton, which is where it happened has vehicles equipped with multiple radar and cameras. All the LEO has to do is park and let the electronics do the work.
I guess that's legal.
I really hate this kind of shit. It's still a money grab anyway you dice it up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is some hood logic. Whoever broke the law in his vehicle needs to own up to it and pay their fine, even if speed cameras are complete BS.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why is your son loaning out his car(s) willy nilly?   Guys just come and take it from your description since he doesn't know the driver.  How old is he, just curious.
IIRC these are non-points tickets.

-- Chuck
View Quote

I'd also be concerned about the insurance aspect of loaning a car like this. I know someone who did that and got zapped when the borrower totaled the vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:45:39 AM EDT
[#12]
It's not what they know, it's what they can prove. If they can't make out the driver, no one should pay a ticket bc they can't say beyond a reasonable doubt who the driver was.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why is your son loaning out his car(s) willy nilly?   Guys just come and take it from your description since he doesn't know the driver.  How old is he, just curious.
IIRC these are non-points tickets.

-- Chuck
View Quote

Why would you assume it's "willy nilly" It happens to be a dear friend of his for 29 years and the guy was in need. They grew up together and are very close. Friends help friend, or at least that's how I was raised and how we raised him.
The post was intended to address the legality of the cameras. It had nothing to due with anyone getting fucked over.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why would you assume it's "willy nilly" It happens to be a dear friend of his for 29 years and the guy was in need. They grew up together and are very close. Friends help friend, or at least that's how I was raised and how we raised him.
The post was intended to address the legality of the cameras. It had nothing to due with anyone getting fucked over.
View Quote

So then he does know who the driver is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#16]
OP, check your PM if you want, I will send you some 'form letters' which I and at least 4 others I personally know have used in this same situation with red-light cameras.
If you look, the citation is not actually a violation of any Ohio revised code traffic law, it is a violation of some municipal ordinance and is basically a civil matter unless you agree to give this 'hearing officer' authority to punish you that Ohio law doesn't give him.  They just want you to agree to play by the flawed rules they have put in place and once you agree to play outside of Ohio law, you loose.

It is really just a 'who will bluff first' situation which goes something like this.
-They send you letter saying you owe for citation
-You send one back saying it wasn't you
-They send one saying tell us who was it or you owe for citation
-You say "I don't know"
-They say well you owe us anyway
-You say it wasn't me
-They say you owe us anyway and we will report to credit agency if you don't pay
-You say the the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act  of 1976 says you are committing a crime if you actually report this to the credit agency without proof it was me.
-They go away

JLE
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Racsan - There isn't anything there. I'll check again later.
What you stated is pretty much what we thought since it's not a points violation.
The whole concept of implying guilt and imposing fines based on camera shots just makes my skin crawl.
Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Relating to this thread
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/op-ed-how-i-turned-a-traffic-ticket-into-the-constitutional-trial-of-the-century/

How I turned a traffic ticket into the constitutional trial of the century
Or, how I got a cop to admit that he perjured himself in Alabama traffic court.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top