Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2016 8:44:39 PM EDT
Need to turn down my JP Thermal Dissipator as the OD is to large to fit under my hand guard.

Its made of aluminum and has a .650" ID. Heck, it might not even be possible because its finned.

Can anyone help me out?

I would be happy to pay you, trade you parts or buy some beer for your trouble!

I'm in Lorain but am willing to travel!

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that as soon as you touch a bit to that thing every fin would smash to pieces.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that as soon as you touch a bit to that thing every fin would smash to pieces.
View Quote

I'm just barely a hobby machinist, and I agree. My first thought when I saw the pics was "I wouldn't even try it."
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You would be farther ahead to file "X" amount off the edge of each fin or possibly mill each fin down the amount needed. The mill bit might knock the fins over also.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Kinda what I thought but figured I'd ask.

I thought about sanding or using a file but not sure how that would turn out. I still want it to look nice as it will be seen underneath the hand rail.

I thought about somehow mounting it in my drill press and using some sandpaper strips. It would take some time but might work. I need to remove between an 1/8" - 3/16" to allow for clearance in the rail. Figuring out how to mount it in the drill press would be the hard part.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll end up with shiny aluminum edges that you might want to dura coat.  Is it cast aluminum or extrusion?
View Quote

I'm not sure if it's cast or extruded. How can one tell the diff?

I was actually thinking the contrast of the silver edges and the black body might look good. The rifle it's going on is black and Tungsten Cerakote.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a perfect job for a bench mounted belt/disc sander.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Draw file!
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#9]
if it is not cast, you can turn or mill it. Just don't take big cuts. Looks like they already drilled holes in it. Is it 6061?

Safe way is a sander.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Turning on a thin intermittent cut is normally not a good plan... a mill with an indexer is probably a better plan.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to everyone who has added their thoughts to this. I think it would work best to file or sand it down to the OD needed.

With that in mind, I've come up with a simple tool to help me with this project. I'll clamp the heatsink to this fixture which will be chucked in my drill press. The bottom will be supported as well. I'll use some belt sander belts to sand it down to a nice even OD.

Anyone want to turn this for me? Doesn't have to be pretty or made from some exotic metal. Again, I don't expect it for free. I'm more than willing to pay you.

I'd rather work locally to avoid shipping costs but open to anyone willing for a fair price.

Sorry for the crude drawing........

Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#12]
If nothing else, you might call ADCO, they might be able to do that for you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Try looking around for a step-down rotary shaft - you might be able to find something commercially available that would work. Most likely something with a 5/8" diameter that you can bring up to your required OD with a few layers of tape.

Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Find a guy with a lathe, have him turn slugs to fit each end and claim a center in each slug.

Turn between centers and lay this or this on the fins until small enough.

Easy job, I'm 900 miles away from my lathe - sorry. Good luck!

ETA:  Handsander video
Belt sander, hand sanding tool, sanding tool, sanding
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Will the cut part be visible, or installed under the handguard?

I would almost think a bandsaw might work for this.
Or a Dremel. 
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd hit it with a belt sander while turning in a lathe between centers.  I know most machinists would cringe at the idea, but that's one of the benefits of being self tsught.  If it works, it ain't stupid.

The only thing that would take much time is if you have to turn something to mount it.  Let me know if you don't find somebody closer, I'm in Trumbull co.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Big thanks to ARCarbon15 for helping get this turned down. It was nice meeting you today. Maybe our paths will cross again in the future.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Happy to help.  Always enjoy meeting fellow ARFcommers.  Post up some pics when you get her back together!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top