Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 12/13/2016 8:40:10 PM EDT
UPDATE Dec 19:

Kasich Signed it!!!  well done everyone!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

...not sure if folks followed what happened, ...late last week at a late-night session, Ron Maag made an amendment to the S.B. 199, so instead of the house concurrence on that, and on H.B. 48 separately, ..he merged H.B. 48 into S.B 199, ...which the house subsequently passed, ...then, the following morning, the senate concurred with the amended bill.

so, amended S.B. 199 includes the "parking lot" stuff, and the H.B. 48 language that does away w/ many CPZs!!!!

...this bill is now on kasich's desk!

...more:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20161209/ohio-important-self-defense-bill-heads-to-governor-kasich

Early this morning, Sub. Senate Bill 199, now including original language from Sub. House Bill 48, overwhelmingly passed the House and final concurrence in the Senate, despite the efforts of misguided anti-gun groups.  The bill will now go to Governor Kasich for final consideration.

Governor Kasich has 10 days to make a final decision on this bill.  It is critical that you contact Governor Kasich and urge him to sign this important self-defense legislation into law!  Please click the “Take Action” button below to contact Governor Kasich!
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Any update?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, concealed carry for Active Duty, but not Guard or Reserve?  That's a big fail.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Call Gov. Kasich NOW!
(614) 466-3555

NEED CALLS to Governor Kasich to Sign Gun Bill
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, concealed carry for Active Duty, but not Guard or Reserve?  That's a big fail.
View Quote

Progressive incremental implementation works. Use it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
...folks, remember, we're very close to getting it into law.   ...and don't forget that the OH legislature term ends and a new one begins in 2017, ..and this means that any bill that doesn't make it into law would have to be reintroduced and go through the whole process all over again!

we are very close, ...got to get kasich to just sign it!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Email Kasich:
http://governor.ohio.gov/Contact/ContacttheGovernor.aspx

Call Kasich:
(614) 466-3555
View Quote

check.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#8]
done
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#9]
If he doesn't sign or veto within 10 days it becomes law anyway, yes? We should see something soon with this.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Signed!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet baby Jesus he signed it!!!!!

I don't see when it takes effect in the synopsis's I've read though.  Anyone have a linky?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sweet baby Jesus he signed it!!!!!

I don't see when it takes effect in the synopsis's I've read though.  Anyone have a linky?
View Quote

90 days
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20161219/ohio-kasich-signs-critical-self-defense-bill-into-law
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#13]
job well done OH ARFCOM!!!

Gov. Kasich signs SB 199 into law

The law allows for concealed carry in some places it is already legal to open carry guns. It removes several victim zones - places that are easy for bad people to kill many innocents - such as day-care facilities, private aircraft, and public areas of airport terminals - and it makes improvements to school safety zones by allowing CHL-holders to leave their firearms in their vehicles on school grounds, just as they've been allowed to do on college campuses for many years. The new law also also grants political subdivisions, colleges and universities the authority, if they choose, to allow people to legally possess concealed firearms.
And of course the bill still contains its original language, which allows active duty military members to carry concealed weapons without licenses provided they have military ID and proof that they successfully completed firearms training that meets or exceeds Ohio concealed carry law training requirements.
SB 199 passed the House by a 68-25 vote, and the Senate by a 22-8 vote.
View Quote

Kasich Signs Seventeen Bills
http://governor.ohio.gov/MediaRoom/PressReleases/TabId/200/ArticleId/582/language/en-US/kasich-signs-seventeen-bills-12-19-16.aspx
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#14]
So glad he signed this. The parking lot issue has been a big deal where I work. The company has broken down the can't have on property to include guns, ammo, primers, powder, knives and any parts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#15]
When would this go into law, is it 90 days ??? My work has signs posted all over there parking lot on no guns allowed, so I want to inform HR about the new law.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

All active status ID cards are now the same.  If you are a drilling status member of a NG/Reserve Unit your status is the same as full time Active Component.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When would this go into law, is it 90 days ??? My work has signs posted all over there parking lot on no guns allowed, so I want to inform HR about the new law.
Thanks
View Quote
why inform them and draw attention to yourself?  I would just keep quiet and do it.  Their signs will be meaningless and unenforceable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone know if this bill applies to state government employees? My daughter works for ODJFS and would like to keep her CCW in her car while at work. Current ODJFS policy doesn't allow that. It sounds like 199 might override that now?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
why inform them and draw attention to yourself?  I would just keep quiet and do it.  Their signs will be meaningless and unenforceable.
View Quote

It's called anonymously
If there are any freedom haters in HR, it sure would be fun to watch them read it
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

I have not read the law but my take is that an employer cannot bring criminal charges against you.  However does it prohibit them from terminating your employment if they determine you have a firearm in your car?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a lawyer but this does not seem to protect you from retribution from an employer by termination or civil charges.  Does protect you from criminal charges.  Bold and font color added by me.

Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass under section 2911.21 of the Revised Code or under any other criminal law of this state or criminal law, ordinance, or resolution of a political subdivision of this state, and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.
View Quote

Edited to add:  Looks like I was wrong (which is great!).  This section does seem to prohibit a policy by the employer:

Sec. 2923.1210. (A) A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when both of the following conditions are met:
(1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;
(2) The vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.
(B) No business entity, property owner, or public or private employer shall be held liable in any civil action for damages, injuries, or death resulting from or arising out of another person's actions involving a firearm or ammunition transported or stored pursuant to division (A) of this section including the theft of a firearm from an employee's or invitee's automobile, unless the business entity, property owner, or public or private employer intentionally solicited or procured the other person's injurious actions.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I can't wait to see the signs come down in my work's parking lot!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I can't wait to see the signs come down in my work's parking lot!
View Quote

Me too!  If they don't come down you can just ignore them.  I'm not going to call attention to myself by pointing out signs that should be removed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Sec. 2923.1210. (A) A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when both of the following conditions are met:
(1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;
(2) The vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.
(B) No business entity, property owner, or public or private employer shall be held liable in any civil action for damages, injuries, or death resulting from or arising out of another person's actions involving a firearm or ammunition transported or stored pursuant to division (A) of this section including the theft of a firearm from an employee's or invitee's automobile, unless the business entity, property owner, or public or private employer intentionally solicited or procured the other person's injurious actions.
View Quote

Does the phrase "person's privately owned motor vehicle" include leased or rented or borrowed motor vehicles?

Does SB-199 also protect those who work for the fed.gov, say, on an Air Force base, or some other federal government entity?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Not to be forgotten.  21 days.

I had to go back and look it up after a conversation today about "what's in your car"
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the thread Wiley!

Here's our full BFA press release with full law changes described at the linked page

Buckeye Firearms Association is pleased that Senate Bill 199 takes effect today. It makes a variety of improvements to Ohio law that allow Ohio gun owners with a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to more fully exercise their rights.

Beginning today, business entities, property owners, and public or private employers can no longer ban a person who has been issued a valid CHL from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when the items are locked in a person's privately-owned motor vehicle on company property.

"This is important," said Dean Rieck, Executive Director of Buckeye Firearms Association, "because, previously, if a business bans guns at work, including parking lots, employees are essentially banned from having their firearm all day, and are defenseless from the time they leave home in the morning until they return home in the evening."

In addition, the new law allows CHL-holders to keep their handgun locked in a motor vehicle on school premises; allows colleges and government bodies to decide for themselves if concealed-carry should be allowed; allows CHL-holders to carry on private aircraft, in the non-secure area of airports and in day-care centers, unless the day care posts a "no-guns" sign, allows active military members who have the same or greater training than CHL holders to carry a concealed handgun without a license; and allows the sale of firearms to active duty military members without regard to their age.

Rieck continued, "For well over a decade, Ohioans with a Concealed Handgun License have proven themselves to be overwhelmingly law-abiding and trustworthy. And SB 199 makes welcome improvements that citizens deserve."

A list of changes is available here.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/overview-changes-ohio-concealed-carry-law-passed-sb-199
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#30]
My employer revised their policy by eliminating the prohibition in parking areas, the day this was signed. I did find it comical they they made a point to remind employees that brandishing is still not allowed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#31]
While I was tracking this bill last year, I thought the school zone stuff was removed. I'm not sure when it was re-added, but I'm glad. That no-nonsense stuff needed to pass.

Quick Question, under ORC 2923.121:

(4) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun all of the following apply:

(a) The person is carrying a valid concealed handgun license or the person is an active duty m ember of the armed forces of the United States and is carrying a valid military identification card and documentation of successful completion o f firearms training that meets or exceeds the training requirements described in division (G)(1) of section 2923.125 of t he Revised Code.

(b) The person leaves the handgun in a motor vehicle .

(c) The handgun does not leave the motor vehicle.

(d) If the person exits the motor vehicle, the person locks the motor vehicle.

Does this mean that I can now leave my pistol in the glove box if I am going to a meeting at a school district? Like when I am meeting administration, not related to my child? Such as dropping a plan or contract off at the superintendents office?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#32]
My employer put out a policy stating firearm has to be "unloaded" and in locked compartment before entering company parking lot. I have read and cannot find where they can or cannot make this a rule.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My employer put out a policy stating firearm has to be "unloaded" and in locked compartment before entering company parking lot. I have read and cannot find where they can or cannot make this a rule.
View Quote
First, I am NOT a lawyer and this is just my opinion.

As I read the law, I believe that the employer can prohibit employee handguns from being loaded on their property since that is not specifically protected.  However, the law does state that while you are in your vehicle, the handgun does not have to be locked in a case/compartment.  It only must be locked when you exit the vehicle.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top