Page Hometown » Ohio
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:26:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I assume a maxiumum limit of 3 cartridges per firearm used to harvest a deer would still apply.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assume a maxiumum limit of 3 cartridges per firearm used to harvest a deer would still apply.
View Quote
That would not change with this proposal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Got a response from Mr. Moore in regards to our petition, as well as some recommendations on what we can do to help. 

About the petition:

"Sending your petition in support of the rule change – I guess it really doesn’t need to be a petition since the change is now proposed but it will give support to the effort."

Here's what we can do to help:

"Thank Ken Fitz for putting the proposed rule change into this year’s packet."
"Attend the open houses and/or write letters in support of the rule change."

I'm going to try and make the open house nearest to me. However, I think we should all send letters of support, or we can put together a group letter of support for the proposed changes. 

He sounded pretty confident that this will pass, as the Ohio Wildlife Council is in support of the rule changes. 

I'm moving that we put together a group letter in support of Mr. Ken Fitz's purposed rule change for SWC in rifles for whitetail hunting in Ohio. 
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I built a .50 Beowulf years ago, hoping the day would come where I could hunt deer with it.  It is looking like this will be the year!
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent the Wildlife Council an email stating my support for the proposed deer regulation changes. I'm not sure if I will be able to make the public meeting.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
How did I miss this thread until now? I'd love to see this changed. I'd like to see real rifle cartridges allowed in the future as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Would the new wording make the 458 win mag ok?

Seems like a gut shot would fairly effectively field dress a white tail.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Would the new wording make the 458 win mag ok?

Seems like a gut shot would fairly effectively field dress a white tail.
View Quote

Can you shoot it with out flinching? If I didn't flinch on the first shot pretty sure I'd develop a flinch by the second round.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#11]
This sounds promising.  The BFA has been pretty effective pushing pro-2A legislation in the last decade or so...

Buckeye Firearms Assoc. Among Groups Invited to Help Mold 10-Year Deer Management Plan
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Did anyone attend an open house meeting? Any updates to the proposed rule change?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The Ohio Wildlife Council will vote on the proposed rules and season dates during its meeting on Wednesday, April 12.  Keeping my fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Ohio Wildlife Council will vote on the proposed rules and season dates during its meeting on Wednesday, April 12.  Keeping my fingers crossed!
View Quote
Thanks for the update! 

From the sounds of the above referenced BFA article, the OWC is in favor of the changes we're suggesting to the SWC rifles. 

Praying they make these changes so I don't have to go out of state this year to use my .450BM. 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#15]
So today's the day, April 12th. The vote should have happened. Anyone know the results? Am I building a .450 bush rifle or a braced pistol? Or should I invest in a Glock long slide 10mm? Beowulf barrel for my savage? I have to know!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#16]
From the DNR website today:

In other rule changes, any straight-walled cartridge rifle with a minimum caliber of .357 to a maximum caliber of .50 is now allowed for hunting deer in Ohio. There have been three seasons of hunting deer with straight-walled cartridge rifles in Ohio with no biological impacts to the herd or additional hunter incidents. Defining the allowable rifles makes the rule easily understood and easily enforced, while also being inclusive of a great number of rifle options.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Welp time to order my barrel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice! Great work all!

JLE
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Super!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Great news!  
I just placed my order for a Tromix barrel.  He has about 60 left.  I warned him you guys might be calling.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I found this: It's official
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Great news!  
I just placed my order for a Tromix barrel.  He has about 60 left.  I warned him you guys might be calling.

View Quote
If only they had 20''. Did you ask about upper receivers? That's what I am about to order in a few minutes.
@ScottyPotty
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If only they had 20''. Did you ask about upper receivers? That's what I am about to order in a few minutes.
@ScottyPotty
View Quote
I would have taken a 20" too, but like the light weight profile and 18" should do it.  He had uppers, but I didn't want to pay $135 for one.  I have 3 or 4 uppers laying around, so I figure a grind job cant be that hard.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would have taken a 20" too, but like the light weight profile and 18" should do it.  He had uppers, but I didn't want to pay $135 for one.  I have 3 or 4 uppers laying around, so I figure a grind job cant be that hard.
View Quote
Yeah it's about $40 more for one with the port modded than the receiver I was looking at. I mean I have a dremel, but.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#25]
for $40+ its worth it.  But right now receivers going for $50 so its a bit of a stretch for me. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Ordered the upper receiver and impulse ordered a bolt. Now to narrow down a barrel. 

ETA went ahead and ordered the Tromix barrel too. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Ordered an 18" SS match barrel, bolt and muzzle brake from Gryphon Trading this morning and received a 2 day priority "shipped" email from them this afternoon.

Company states sub 1 MOA with factory ammo. We'll see what happens, been looking forward to this for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ordered the upper receiver and impulse ordered a bolt. Now to narrow down a barrel. 

ETA went ahead and ordered the Tromix barrel too. 
View Quote
What are you going to use for a muzzle device?  
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What are you going to use for a muzzle device?  
View Quote
Gong to go with the Tromix one as well. The guy I talked to when I went to order the barrel hooked me up by honoring the barrel and bolt package price even though I ordered them hours apart. Going to go with geissele low profile gas block and ALG 15'' V2 mlok rail. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Awesome news!!!

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I got my bolt, barrel and upper in the mail yesterday. It's going to be on hold for a little while seeing how I have more wants than money.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got my bolt, barrel and upper in the mail yesterday. It's going to be on hold for a little while seeing how I have more wants than money.
View Quote
Ha! You and me both!

I need to order some more Hornady .450BM ammo. It's probably a good idea to stock up now, before more people find out.. 

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#33]
What is the purpose of requiring straight walled cartridge? Is it to keep the weight/caliber of the round higher?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I got my upper together last weekend.  I just got to get some time to assemble the lower.  I bought a few boxes of Hornady black from midway.  I'm going to see about sighting it in this week.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What is the purpose of requiring straight walled cartridge? Is it to keep the weight/caliber of the round higher?
View Quote
I assume to keep the velocity lower
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#36]
So I had to send my barrel back.  The head spacing was wrong, and the barrel extension pin and gas port wasn't aligned.  They are sending a new barrel
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So I had to send my barrel back.  The head spacing was wrong, and the barrel extension pin and gas port wasn't aligned.  They are sending a new barrel
View Quote
That doesn't give me a good feeling. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That doesn't give me a good feeling. 
View Quote
That is why I wanted to say something.  Check it out, let me know what you find.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That is why I wanted to say something.  Check it out, let me know what you find.
View Quote
I don't have anything to check the head spacing. Shouldn't I be able to check the alignment by eye?(Built lowers, this is my first attempt at an upper).
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Check alignment with a square, or eyeball it.  

I don't have head spacing gauge for 450bm, but you can make sure it's ok after you put the barrel on the upper.  Put the 450b BCG in and see if it will close and eject a round.  Mine wouldn't close, when I put a lower on and used the spring to close it, it would not eject the round without much difficulty(think butt stroking)
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Fyi... Check this out... 450bm at 300y

Ruger American 450 Bushmaster - Randys Hunting Center - Michigan Out Of Doors
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vww1wjqf0JM
View Quote
I know it is just 2 shots at each distance, but that's pretty impressive.  

1000-1500 for southern MI, I suspect the market in OH will be much, much greater.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vww1wjqf0JM
View Quote
Pretty cool.

I just got mine back together, and I'm waiting on a scope mount.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh no!! 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Check alignment with a square, or eyeball it.  

I don't have head spacing gauge for 450bm, but you can make sure it's ok after you put the barrel on the upper.  Put the 450b BCG in and see if it will close and eject a round.  Mine wouldn't close, when I put a lower on and used the spring to close it, it would not eject the round without much difficulty(think butt stroking)
View Quote
Ok, so I had a similar issue with my bolt jot wanting to close, withhout exsessive force. It wasn't a headspacing issue, rather a tolerance issue with the extractor. I had to shim my exteactor. 

I have a thread over at the .450 forum about it: http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15100

fYI, this is not a Franklin issue, as they get their bolts from Bushmaster. So, if others are using busmaster bolts, it's likely you'll run into the same issues.

ETA: please forgive spelling errors, fat fingers and iphones don't mix well
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ok, so I had a similar issue with my bolt jot wanting to close, withhout exsessive force. It wasn't a headspacing issue, rather a tolerance issue with the extractor. I had to shim my exteactor. 

I have a thread over at the .450 forum about it: http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15100

fYI, this is not a Franklin issue, as they get their bolts from Bushmaster. So, if others are using busmaster bolts, it's likely you'll run into the same issues.

ETA: please forgive spelling errors, fat fingers and iphones don't mix w
View Quote
I also had a bad extractor, Tony had to send me a new one.  Seems to be working fine now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I also had a bad extractor, Tony had to send me a new one.  Seems to be working fine now.
View Quote
Good deal. 
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I think I may paint this, and I need a sling+swivel, but here it is so far.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think I may paint this, and I need a sling+swivel, but here it is so far.
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q782/Serwin007/IMG_20170530_185447_zpsb8k2tkkq.jpg
View Quote
Looks good!!! 

Here's mine. I too need a sling swivel for the rail. 

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looks good!!! 

Here's mine. I too need a sling swivel for the rail. 

http://ar15hunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/AR15Hunter_450BM_Thumper_2.jpg
View Quote
Nikon?
Page / 5
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top