Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 10/6/2016 3:24:14 PM EDT
Hello,

Looking for recommendations of where to get a SBR lower engraved. I live in Newark Ohio 43055. Gun envy in Columbus has a 4 week turn around. I'm hoping for something next week, good quality and affordable (I know you can have 2 but not all 3).

Any help is greatly appreciate
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I mailed my lowers to Gary's Bunker in North Royalton, OH

I didn't wait four weeks. If you have enough work to engrave for four weeks, that's bonkers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I sent mine to Tarheel State Firearms in North Carolina and got it back less than a week from the day I sent it
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Just an FYI, there's no FFL transfers required to send it to a shop to do it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I just read a post and maybe it was actually your post that discussed the graving at TarHeel's. I was hoping to do business locally but if I don't find someone by tomorrow I'll touch base with tarheels and send it to them. Actually since the shipping is the same I may just send them two lowers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
HL Art Jewelers in downtown Nerk (North Park Pl), will do engraving. They have done some work for a friend of mine, that looked good, and I don't believe that they charged him much.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are going to ship it out, this place is great

http://www.veritasmachiningllc.com/

They can engrave on the bottom of the magwell, it's real nice work.  That being said, I'm looking for a local place with quick turnaround for my Scorpion and was about to make this exact same post.  I'm also in Licking county.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I would prefer not to but I'm not having a ton of luck finding anyone locally. There's a shop in north Cincinnati that said he could do it but no idea of quality and it's 55 bucks plus 5 hours of driving.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I second Tarheel.  They were extremely professional, turnaround was rapid, and most importantly quality was top notch.  I have used local guys to mixed results and Tarheel is much more flexible on location of engraving and how far you need to take down your receiver.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#9]
For firearms that I don't want to mail, I take it to Gary's Bunker.

Otherwise I'll send it to Tar Heel State Firearms. For what it's worth, part of the ownership is from Ohio, so it's sorta kinda keeping your business local .
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Purchased the tarheel engraving. What's the fastest affordable route to get my lower to them? Ups/USPS/fed ex/teleport ?

Thanks folks,
As soon as I get an answer I'll send it out this AM
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I used the small USPS flat rate box. I think you can get two lowers in there. It was also my return shipping box.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Shipped USPS. Medium flat rate box because I was too lazy to remove the buffer tube assembly. Will report back once lower is complete.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

HL Art Jewelers in downtown Nerk (North Park Pl), will do engraving. They have done some work for a friend of mine, that looked good, and I don't believe that they charged him much.
View Quote

I just stopped by this place, they said they can't do polymer.  I didn't ask about anything else.  They sent me down the street to Buckeye Winery, they do laser engraving.  Not entirely sure if it's going to end up deep enough, but I left my parts that need engraved there anyway, they said it would be 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Buckeye winery engraves? I live 8 mins away and go there time to time for tastings. What was the price?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Gary's Bunker did great and super quick turn around.  
I also hear nothing but good stuff about Tarheal state.    
I have 2 SBR lowers pending form 1 and I'll be sending them off to one or the other soon...hopefully

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just stopped by this place, they said they can't do polymer.  I didn't ask about anything else.  They sent me down the street to Buckeye Winery, they do laser engraving.  Not entirely sure if it's going to end up deep enough, but I left my parts that need engraved there anyway, they said it would be 3-4 days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, good to know
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Buckeye winery engraves? I live 8 mins away and go there time to time for tastings. What was the price?
View Quote

http://www.plengraving.com/

They do laser engraving, which I don't think would be enough to meet NFA guidelines on any kind of metal.  That's what's used to draw images, and it looks like they primarily have it for glass work.  In polymer it does remove a small bit of material, and if they do two or three passes with the laser I think it'll be good enough for NFA.  But that wouldn't be the case for an aluminum lower.  I was quoted $20.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Gary's Bunker did great and super quick turn around.  

I also hear nothing but good stuff about Tarheal state.    

I have 2 SBR lowers pending form 1 and I'll be sending them off to one or the other soon...hopefully

View Quote

Gary's Bunker is also a several hour drive from Newark
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh....thats odd. Because one of the things he had engraved was a scorpion. I wonder if they have a new engraver or something?

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:15:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Huh....thats odd. Because one of the things he had engraved was a scorpion. I wonder if they have a new engraver or something?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just talked to the lady behind the jewelry counter
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Saturday morning,, run 70 west to I-75 (Dayton),,, south to first exit (59), couple minutes from there..

Wicked Welding ,, 9am to 12pm today,, full blown laser engrave,, should do it while you wait

5703 Webster St Ste J
Dayton, OH 45414
(937) 454-9023

Video

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Saturday morning,, run 70 west to I-75 (Dayton),,, south to first exit (59), couple minutes from there..

Wicked Welding ,, 9am to 12pm today,, full blown laser engrave,, should do it while you wait

5703 Webster St Ste J
Dayton, OH 45414
(937) 454-9023

Video

View Quote

If I didn't already ship it out I would of probably went this route. Thanks for the recommendation. Since we have a couple of folks in the newark/columbus area active in this thread, do any of you shoot at Briar Rabbit?

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Haven't yet.  Usually shoot private land or Dillon.  Recently joined Fairfield sportsman club and starting to shoot there more though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:17:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They do laser engraving, which I don't think would be enough to meet NFA guidelines on any kind of metal.  That's what's used to draw images, and it looks like they primarily have it for glass work.  In polymer it does remove a small bit of material, and if they do two or three passes with the laser I think it'll be good enough for NFA.  But that wouldn't be the case for an aluminum lower.  I was quoted $20.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my scorpion receiver back.  The engraving looks great.  The guy said he did three passes with the laser, it seemed to be deep enough.  Only charged me $10.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If I didn't already ship it out I would of probably went this route. Thanks for the recommendation. Since we have a couple of folks in the newark/columbus area active in this thread, do any of you shoot at Briar Rabbit?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

5703 Webster St Ste J

Dayton, OH 45414

(937) 454-9023

Video

I've been there a few times, but just go to Rayner's now. The drive from Newark isn't much further
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Engraved lower arrived from THSF and everything is perfect. There was zero delay on their part and got it back to me asap. Only delay was on USPS and actually getting it to them. Thanks THSF.

I really enjoy Rayners but tend to go to briar rabbit way more for a couple of reasons: I'm usually by myself and a spotter is very helpful at Rayners. It is a closer drive for me. I enjoy shooting pistol and Briar Rabbit has a nice pistol setup and last but not least Tom (Rayners) doesn't have a yearly membership like Briar Rabbit and I really enjoy showing up whenever I want and shooting.

Thanks guys for the help and recommendations on engraving. I will try the local place out next time just because of ease of not shipping and it is cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Dublicate post
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

5703 Webster St Ste J
Dayton, OH 45414
(937) 454-9023

Video

View Quote

You know how much they charge? I'm in Springfield looking to do a MPX lower discretely

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You know how much they charge? I'm in Springfield looking to do a MPX lower discretely

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5703 Webster St Ste J
Dayton, OH 45414
(937) 454-9023

Video

If you Facebook, use the message function..

Recent video
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Not in Ohio but check out Veritas Machining. They can engrave lowers on the magwell lips, under trigger guard, front of magwell etc.
www.veritasmachiningllc.com
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I know you want to go local, but check out Weapon Genetics

He did my lower out at CWE4 this year, was nice enough to engrave a dickbutt on my knife, and uses a laser engraver ta boot.. Plus he is just a straight up good guy.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Sent mine out last week to Tarheel Ordinance and had it back today. Outstanding work!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Little revival...

Here is lower for my son, late Christmas as Cabella took about 1 1/2 month to arrive, then shop owner went goose hunting that weekend, but I picked it up today on way home from work

Attachment Attached File

Getting it done
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I've always delt with these guys:

Orion Arms SBR Engraving

They've done 3 SBR lowers for me.  Not local but they do it quick and to ATF specs.  .003 depth and 1/16" height.  And they black it when they are done.(the lettering)  I'm not sure a laser engraver is deep enough but perhaps it is.

And a tip.  Send your receiver off to be engraved BEOFRE you submit your form 1.  That way if it gets lost in shipment or gets damaged somehow you're only out a $50 lower instead of a lower and $200 for a stamp.  I always assembled my stripped lowers with all the small parts as well before I sent form 1's.  Be a bitch to get a from 1 back then break off the tab where the trigger guard goes while you're tying to get the pin in.  Never happened to me but I've seen pictures of it.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top