Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2016 2:38:30 PM EDT
Coshocton County School Employees To Be Armed

Anyone else heard other school districts in Ohio doing the same?

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Right on. I wish it said which three districts are participating, and which one isn't.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
That's where I grew up.  Glad to see this
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#5]
We might not have jobs, but at least we are trying to protect our kids.

They got some good training. The office helped with training  as well as out side training companies being brought in.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]

As of the end or 2015 (I have not yet added our 2016 data), the FASTERSavesLives.org program had trained over 450 school staff from over 150 school districts in 6 different states.  We have trained staff in 63 of Ohio's 88 counties.   (See http://fastersaveslives.org/armed-teachers-now-trained-in-63-ohio-counties )  2016 was our busiest year.  We completed another 8 classes for another 200 teachers and also have started providing the TCCC-style trauma medical training to schools outside of the FASTER program.  (One is happening today in the Akron area)

Some districts like Sidney Local, Edgewood, Mad River, Montpelier, Edgerton and others are very public about their participation in the program as they see it as having an additional deterrent effect.  At other schools, two staff will be having lunch together and one will be armed and the other will not even know they have armed staff in the buildings.  The Coshocton example is what we are hoping will be the model for all future schools.  The local sheriff department is the one heading this up and that is huge for acceptance by the schools.  The schools pick the staff, they are trained by national experts at Tactical Defense Institute or Chris Cerino Training Group, our foundation writes a check to pay for the training and the staff goes back to make the schools safer.  The sheriff then works side by side with them and the county deputies on continued training and qualifications.  Truly a win-win-win.

See below for some videos on previous classes we have done.  
Also, if you or your business can use a tax deduction, Buckeye Firearms Foundation is a 501c3 non-profit educational charity.  Make your donations before end of year to help us keep this program growing.

JLE

Introduction Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BPw-vg8GE
Level 1 TDI https://youtu.be/wsiuXAOVzyQ
Level 1 Cerino https://youtu.be/H7-StYK4Q8M
Level 3 Initial Segment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3WXENqegPE
Level 3 Follow up Segment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87bAOGnC32I
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Much thanks, Racsan + JLE!

GREAT TO HEAR!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#8]
While Buckeye Firearms (FASTER Saves Lives) is quick to offer training at a severely discounted price to teachers/staff they are requiring "district approval" before allowing folks to go through the training.

Without the approval of your school district staff must pay full price for this training and then may not be allowed to fully implement it.

In liberal cesspool infested areas with brain dead parents with illogical fear of guns this type of protection for children will never be approved by the district.

Its a complete shame.. but good on the few places like Coshocton County that have given it the green light! Their children will be better off with the potential of protection from armed staff.

Edit: This is not a dig at Buckeye Firearms or Faster! They are both great organizations that, from what I hear, offer great training. However, it is an absolute failure of the Ohio legislature to not guarantee this training to those staff members in districts that may otherwise oppose it. Even if it not be for the firearms training aspect of the training, it should be MANDATED that an allotted number of staff per district receive the medical (tourniquet application, medical aid, etc.) training.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While Buckeye Firearms (FASTER Saves Lives) is quick to offer training at a severely discounted price to teachers/staff they are requiring "district approval" before allowing folks to go through the training.

Without the approval of your school district staff must pay full price for this training and then may not be allowed to fully implement it.

In liberal cesspool infested areas with brain dead parents with illogical fear of guns this type of protection for children will never be approved by the district.

Its a complete shame.. but good on the few places like Coshocton County that have given it the green light! Their children will be better off with the potential of protection from armed staff.

Edit: This is not a dig at Buckeye Firearms or Faster! They are both great organizations that, from what I hear, offer great training. However, it is an absolute failure of the Ohio legislature to not guarantee this training to those staff members in districts that may otherwise oppose it. Even if it not be for the firearms training aspect of the training, it should be MANDATED that an allotted number of staff per district receive the medical (tourniquet application, medical aid, etc.) training.
View Quote

Disagree completely. It should be up to the local districts what they choose to implement. Schools should be managed by their local communities, not the legislature and governor in Columbus.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife took her CCW class with a  school principal whose school board wanted them to start carrying on campus.  I never did figure out what district, but the CCW class was in Lorain county.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#11]
This is simply a matter of economics as we try to get the most 'bang' for the bucks.  First priority for the training will always go to staff who work at schools which have already authorized or will authorize after they are trained.  This is where the most good is done with the program.  However, we always have school staff, administrators, board members who we have complete the training (still no cost to the schools) and then go back to their district with not a 'I heard about this training', but an "i went and did this and we learned that and I can now do this'  foundation.  It sometimes takes a year or two, but it helps bring a lot of schools down the path.  Such as the school where we just completed the TCCC training at yesterday.

The Buckeye Firearms Foundation pays for all of the training, hotel and we supply the staff with trauma medical kits to take back to their schools.  We budget right at $1000 per teacher for the classes.  The schools have to get the teachers to the training, feed them while there and each need gear and 1000 rnds of ammo. And if the only training they have is a CCW class, we have them attend a 1 day 'primer' class at their own expense to get them ready for the full class.  In 2016 we saw so much demand at the start of the year, that we increased the previous years budget by 60% to over $200,000.  All of this comes from private individual donations at this point and the demand is simply exceeding the funding right now.  So unfortunately unless we acquire some other revenue streams we will likely have to continue to be more and more selective in who we fund the training for.

One thing that is coming in 2017 is we are hoping to run 1 or 2 FASTER classes for churches/businesses and have them pay for the training as a way of generating some additional income and to allow other persons to better understand what we are providing to schools in this program.  We are also working with groups from Kentucky and Colorado to have them 'purchase' FASTER training from the foundation for schools in their states.  This will spread out the fundraising efforts and hopefully allow the program to take root elsewhere.  Finally, we are working with the legislature to allow schools to spend safety money on FASTER training.  If a school can get a grant to spend $500,000 on video cameras and panic buttons, they should be able to use $25,000 to get a couple dozen staff trained in a FASTER like program.

If anyone has specific question, comments or ideas for the program, they can email me directly at Joe-at-FASTERSavesLives.org  

JLE

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is simply a matter of economics as we try to get the most 'bang' for the bucks.  First priority for the training will always go to staff who work at schools which have already authorized or will authorize after they are trained.  This is where the most good is done with the program.  However, we always have school staff, administrators, board members who we have complete the training (still no cost to the schools) and then go back to their district with not a 'I heard about this training', but an "i went and did this and we learned that and I can now do this'  foundation.  It sometimes takes a year or two, but it helps bring a lot of schools down the path.  Such as the school where we just completed the TCCC training at yesterday.

The Buckeye Firearms Foundation pays for all of the training, hotel and we supply the staff with trauma medical kits to take back to their schools.  We budget right at $1000 per teacher for the classes.  The schools have to get the teachers to the training, feed them while there and each need gear and 1000 rnds of ammo. And if the only training they have is a CCW class, we have them attend a 1 day 'primer' class at their own expense to get them ready for the full class.  In 2016 we saw so much demand at the start of the year, that we increased the previous years budget by 60% to over $200,000.  All of this comes from private individual donations at this point and the demand is simply exceeding the funding right now.  So unfortunately unless we acquire some other revenue streams we will likely have to continue to be more and more selective in who we fund the training for.

One thing that is coming in 2017 is we are hoping to run 1 or 2 FASTER classes for churches/businesses and have them pay for the training as a way of generating some additional income and to allow other persons to better understand what we are providing to schools in this program.  We are also working with groups from Kentucky and Colorado to have them 'purchase' FASTER training from the foundation for schools in their states.  This will spread out the fundraising efforts and hopefully allow the program to take root elsewhere.  Finally, we are working with the legislature to allow schools to spend safety money on FASTER training.  If a school can get a grant to spend $500,000 on video cameras and panic buttons, they should be able to use $25,000 to get a couple dozen staff trained in a FASTER like program.

If anyone has specific question, comments or ideas for the program, they can email me directly at Joe-at-FASTERSavesLives.org  

JLE

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

JLE

Quoted:

Keep doing the good work!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe Holmes county school district does. They even had a donation drive for different types of equipment, firearms where included.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top