Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2016 6:21:48 PM EDT
I've only been hunting a handful of times as I've lived in the city most of my adult life. Now that we've relocated to a much more country setting I'd like to get into it on a more serious level. I've purchased a hunting license before, as well as an apprentice license but now I'm slightly confused on where to go.  As far as I can recall, I've never taken the hunting safety class. Looking at the ODNR website, I've realized two things:
1. The courses in my county and surrounding counties are all full.
2. I don't have time to sit through an 8-12 hour class right now with my crappy work schedule.

Do I just buy another apprentice license this year (only had one in my lifetime) and hope I can take the course next year? I logged onto my ODNR account and it definitely says I've never taken the class.

Secondly, I'll be hunting on my father in laws land. Does the landowner clause include me? It specifically states that spouses and children do not need a license to hunt, does that cover me in this regard or is that a pipe dream? Nuisance permit is out before that question is asked.

I'm all for following the laws as I certainly don't want to bring trouble to him or myself.  Just figured some of you hunters may be able to help me out.

Thanks all, I'm cross posting this in the archery board as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
"Does the landowner clause include me"

no, unless you live/rent the property...

" I've purchased a hunting license before"

then you dont need a apprentice license... if u want to take a safety course, thats up to u

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Does the landowner clause include me"

no, unless you live/rent the property...

" I've purchased a hunting license before"

then you dont need a apprentice license... if u want to take a safety course, thats up to u

View Quote

Renting does not count.

One generation above and two generations below. (I.e. grand kids) But no in laws are allowed from my understanding standing of the law.

How did you purchase an Ohio hunting license without taking the safety course? I was always under the impression it was mandatory.

It's also a good thing to have to hunt out of state with. You can do an online course that shortens the actual class time down to a few hours as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I clicked on "buy license" and it went through. Guess it's possible I did take it, just don't remember.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Since it hasn't been mentioned, If you are hunting on private land you do not own - you must have written permission and keep it on you while hunting.

If ODNR happens to stop you and question it you have to show proof you have permission.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't think you needed to take a hunting class if you were over 18?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#8]
It should show if you took the course or not. I know mine does.

ETA:

Go to here

Hover over "I want to..."at the top bar select buy hunting license

Manage customer account

Enter info

My course registrations.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
That must not work with landowner permits, although it lets me in, it shows no game checks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ETA:

Go to here

Manage customer account

Enter info

My course registrations.

View Quote

mine says

Hunter Education Certified:No

i took the class from the ODNR when i was a kid... im 44 now

it also says Game Check History none

yet i checked in  a deer 2 years ago

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted: Snip

View Quote
It must not be 100% accurate. I took my hunters ed class in the 90's and it also shows.   Does it show your current hunting license? Mine show current years hunting and range passes, and that I didn't use my spring turkey tag.

ETA: I don't know if it matters but I put in my Driver's License info...too lazy to get into my wallet for ODNR number
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

mine says

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
Go to here
Manage customer account
Enter info
My course registrations.

mine says

ODNR was able to find and electronically link my dads hunters safety course to his online account. Took 3 days but it was done.

He's 55. Took his class in the 70s.

Edit:

It's good to have the hunters education card too if you want to hunt out of state. A number of states require it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine says "NO" for the class too - I took it 91-92
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't remember taking a class but I do remember taking a test.  I think I got some "packet" with a handbook and drove to a local ODNR to take a written test on safety and stuff. For some reason a while back I feel like Dicks would only sell a license if you had proof of a previous license or a hunter education card...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I took my hunter's ed class in the middle of the hunting season a few years back.  Look for one a few months out from now.

About the apprentice license, you're only allowed three of them in a lifetime, and you have to be accompanied by a licensed hunter when you go hunting.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a WV license long ago,, and somewhere along the line I just walk up to Wal-Mart counter with the "I have held out of state license" I think it was.. I been renewing for a long time, nobody ever check me.. girl just swipe my driver license in reader,  and print new paper for me,, sign it, pay and leave till next yr

I dont hunt Ohio in the first place,, I just support the state, and have it on hand in case I decide to knock off ground hogs as a way to  "increase per acre crop yield".. always been private property, and nobody ever bother me
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the replies. I've found out that I DID take the safety class back in the early 90's with my grandfather. Now I have absolutely zero proof of that since any paperwork is long gone and ODNR doesn't show any record online at least. Clear as mud. Guess I just wait until next year and take it again, and buy another apprentice license for this year. That blows, but better than getting popped for illegal hunting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies. I've found out that I DID take the safety class back in the early 90's with my grandfather. Now I have absolutely zero proof of that since any paperwork is long gone and ODNR doesn't show any record online at least. Clear as mud. Guess I just wait until next year and take it again, and buy another apprentice license for this year. That blows, but better than getting popped for illegal hunting.
View Quote

Why take it again? Just check the box and buy the real license.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try to contact the ODNR , they may have record of it .
I could not find mine & was going on a hunting trip out west....contacted them & they sent me a copy .... it is worth a try .
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've only been hunting a handful of times as I've lived in the city most of my adult life. Now that we've relocated to a much more country setting I'd like to get into it on a more serious level. I've purchased a hunting license before, as well as an apprentice license but now I'm slightly confused on where to go.  As far as I can recall, I've never taken the hunting safety class. Looking at the ODNR website, I've realized two things:
1. The courses in my county and surrounding counties are all full.
2. I don't have time to sit through an 8-12 hour class right now with my crappy work schedule.

Do I just buy another apprentice license this year (only had one in my lifetime) and hope I can take the course next year? I logged onto my ODNR account and it definitely says I've never taken the class.

Secondly, I'll be hunting on my father in laws land. Does the landowner clause include me? It specifically states that spouses and children do not need a license to hunt, does that cover me in this regard or is that a pipe dream? Nuisance permit is out before that question is asked.

I'm all for following the laws as I certainly don't want to bring trouble to him or myself.  Just figured some of you hunters may be able to help me out.

Thanks all, I'm cross posting this in the archery board as well.
View Quote

Seems like you satisfy the requirements. I would just purchase the license and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do realize with an apprentice license that you cannot hunt alone, don't you?  You would need to be in the immediate vicinity of someone over 21 who holds a valid hunting license.  

From the ODNR website:

"To hunt or trap, apprentice license and permit holders must be accompanied by a licensed hunter or trapper 21 years old or older. The licensed hunter may not accompany more than two (2) apprentice license holders at the same time.

Accompany means to go along with another person while staying within a distance from the person that enables uninterrupted, unaided visual and auditory communications."
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I read this thread and it seemed the OP's questions were handled pretty well. But curiosity got to me and I decided to see what ODNR showed for me. Nothing. Even though I took the course in 80 or maybe 81. It was somewhat of a big deal for the officer teaching the course. At the time, there was only one person younger than me that ever passed the course. And that kid beat me by just over 2 weeks. There have been many younger since then, I'm sure.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top