Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/27/2016 9:19:04 PM EDT
Got an invite to spend a couple days up there coming up. Is there much to do on the island? We will have our two kids (3&8) with us. Anywhere for them to swim? Will be staying at a privately owned house if that helps. Should I take a car over or not?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice island, haven't been there in a few years, but it was always my favorite island to spend with the kids. Not as commercially developed as South Bass, at least it wasn't the last time I was there. There's a nice beach at the state campground. Take bicycles if you can.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice island, haven't been there in a few years, but it was always my favorite island to spend with the kids. Not as commercially developed as South Bass, at least it wasn't the last time I was there. There's a nice beach at the state campground. Take bicycles if you can.
View Quote

Thinking about just leaving the truck at the ferry Parking and just taking bicycles over.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Got an invite to spend a couple days up there coming up. Is there much to do on the island? We will have our two kids (3&8) with us. Anywhere for them to swim? Will be staying at a privately owned house if that helps. Should I take a car over or not?
View Quote

Of you want to, rent a golf cart while over there.

I'm not 100% sure if the north beach is public or private. However the north side of Kelly's is about the most beautiful area to anchor a boat off of and float. There is a nice Beach there but I really don't know who owns it to swim from. There is also a yacht club up on the north side..

There is the glacier park on Kelly's  - it's something to do/see with kids too. Also some small shops in town to go around.  

You can also hop the jet express to put-in-bay to see the monument before its closed for several years.

Edit:

Their is a state park with a beach on the north side. I thought so but wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Timely topic.  We're headded up there Sunday for a few nights.  We were just going to leave the car at the ferry, but you have to pay for parking anyways.  Just got a nice big tent and it weighs a ton.  Since I'm the only pack animal in the family I get to carry all the stuff.  Executive decision to take the car!  $16 each way is worth it.

We'll be renting a golf cart too.  The boys love to drive it around.  Remember to bring saran wrap for a make shift windshield.  Bugs are a pain in the eye.

The island has a winery and brewery.  I'm set!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Waiting for the ferry during a rainstorm is nicer if you brought the car.  

We've not been there in a while.  Bigger island then Middle Bass (Put-in-Bay) so a car is handy so you're not imposing on your hosts and you can bring as much stuff as you want/need.  For a day trip bikes are probably fine but a couple of nights seems to require 10x the stuff.  Beach at the state park is small but nice.  

-- Chuck
View Quote

Put-In-Bay is on South Bass Island.  Middle Bass has / had Lonz Winery.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Timely topic.  We're headded up there Sunday for a few nights.  We were just going to leave the car at the ferry, but you have to pay for parking anyways.  Just got a nice big tent and it weighs a ton.  Since I'm the only pack animal in the family I get to carry all the stuff.  Executive decision to take the car!  $16 each way is worth it.

We'll be renting a golf cart too.  The boys love to drive it around.  Remember to bring saran wrap for a make shift windshield.  Bugs are a pain in the eye.

The island has a winery and brewery.  I'm set!
View Quote

with the price of golf cart rentals there I would come out ahead to buy one and sell it at the end of the weekend
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top