Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/6/2016 11:30:58 AM EDT
By the way, that's a Friday and Saturday

http://www.ddayohio.us/

"Have a "big toy" and want to join the defense... or attack?
Please contact Betsy Bashore ( [email protected] ) for info and availability. "
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My son and I went last year for the first time (I had never heard of it before)

Got my hotel reservation in Feb for this year!

It was an amazing experience!

Edit for a couple of pics.

German 88 gets fired (blanks, of course) every hour during each day.
[/URL]

An action shot!
[/URL]

The business end.
[/URL]

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
We went for the first time last year, going again this year for sure!  

If you've never been, it's worth seeing if for nothing other than the effort others put into it.  There's a reason people get so passionate about it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I plan to be there again this year.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Will they be doing the landing reanactment both days?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will they be doing the landing reanactment both days?
View Quote

Typically not. It's the last event of the weekend. Usually starts about 3PM.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been to it a few times and it's a fantastic event. Really gives you a sense of what our guys went through that day.

My nephew was one of the good guys attacking the beach one year. He said it was utter chaos, guys dropping all around, the gunfire and planes flying over-head. He said even though he knew it wasn't real he was still scared. He's now a Marine and I couldn't be more proud of him.

I hope to be at this year's show too. Gonna be great !
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd be in like sin if that weren't at the opposite corner of Ohio from me. Bummer!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
We went in 2014 . Kid loved it. We rode in the Higgins boat, and she was one big smile !
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#10]

---Schedule---

Absolute must see is Sat. the 3pm battle(Normandy beach landing)!!

If it's in your mind about going but maybe not sure...DO IT! You won't regret it.

It's free but I encourage to donate.
They have shuttles for parking.
Lots to see.
Stuff to buy.
Food stands.
Great time!

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#11]
This weekend!  
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There will be a tank battle on Friday.  We are going to head up tomorrow to check out the tanks, first time we'll be attending.  Looking forward to it.
View Quote

I hope you make the Sat. 3 pm battle! You will not be disappointed. I promise. Get there early to get good seats. Bring ears if there are little ones going...the
gunner on top of the bluff gets a little happy on that trigger!

Pretty sure I read somewhere that this is the biggest WWII reenactment In the  U.S.

It's badass when the bomber comes over and the p-zero's are zipping around.

--Last warning to everyone else...you're missing out big time if you don't go. I have been going for many..many years. Very many.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Son and I are getting ready to head up there in about an hour.
Looking forward to a great weekend.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully the weather holds out tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Can't make it tomorrow, hopefully the tanks will be good for this year.  Never been to the event before even though I live 25 mins away.  

Also, FYI if you're coming up from Y-town area.  The east bound on ramp to 90 from Rt 11 is now open as of two weeks ago.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There will be a tank battle on Friday.  We are going to head up tomorrow to check out the tanks, first time we'll be attending.  Looking forward to it.

I hope you make the Sat. 3 pm battle! You will not be disappointed. I promise. Get there early to get good seats. Bring ears if there are little ones going...the

Pretty sure I read somewhere that this is the biggest WWII reenactment In the  U.S.

--Last warning to everyone else...you're missing out big time if you don't go. I have been going for many..many years. Very many.

Can't make it tomorrow, hopefully the tanks will be good for this year.  Never been to the event before even though I live 25 mins away.  

Also, FYI if you're coming up from Y-town area.  The east bound on ramp to 90 from Rt 11 is now open as of two weeks ago.

Thanks for the head's-up.  I might come check it out Saturday.  With all the ramp closures down here on I-80, it's a nice change to hear of some re-openings somewhere.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Wish I could make it, but can't go this weekend.

I do think I caught one of the landing craft in BG earlier this week.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#19]
We are planning to go tomorrow. Never been before.

Any insider tips? Any issues with concealed carry there, besides parking somewhere else besides the schools' parking lots?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We are planning to go tomorrow. Never been before.

Any insider tips? Any issues with concealed carry there, besides parking somewhere else besides the schools' parking lots?
View Quote

Concealed Carry is no problem, come early for good seats, make sure you take time to check out all of the camps. It's amazing how much time and effort these guys put into the event and even more amazing that it is absolutely free and open to the public. I encourage you to donate if you can and make sure to bring binoculars. I live about a mile from the event, so I generally just walk down but you can usually find decent parking that is close.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#22]
My son and I are sitting in a hotel room slightly sunburned and exhausted but very satisfied after a great day.

The tanks, tankers and Tank battle were a great addition this year.

We had the good fortune to sit beside a Korean War Marine Veteran at the tank battle who was salty as hell with great stories and was an honor to meet.

God bless all the veterans and the people who volunteer and sacrifice for this event.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks for the head's-up.  I might will come check it out Saturday.  With all the ramp closures down here on I-80, it's a nice change to hear of some re-openings somewhere.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the head's-up.  I might will come check it out Saturday.  With all the ramp closures down here on I-80, it's a nice change to hear of some re-openings somewhere.  

Glad I could help get you there. Come back and tell us how you liked it.

There were trying to get paratroopers (last year I think) but they couldn't get the clearance. Any idea if it went thru this year?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#26]

There were trying to get paratroopers (last year I think) but they couldn't get the clearance. Any idea if it went thru this year?
View Quote

No (actual jumping from planes) paratroopers because of insurance issues again this year but the Korean War vet I mentioned earlier was told they were going to try to do something with PT boats next year.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No (actual jumping from planes) paratroopers because of insurance issues again this year but the Korean War vet I mentioned earlier was told they were going to try to do something with PT boats next year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Liberty Aviation Museum has a nearly completed Vosper PT that they are making up like an Elco 80-footer.  It'll be completed soon but I think a Vosper-looking Vosper would be more appropriate to D-Day than a Pacific Theater-looking Elco.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Almost forgot to post the few pics I snapped.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Great pictures!
I didn't take nearly as many as I did last year

My son took a few on his phone.
I'll have to look at his and see what he got.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top