Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/27/2016 11:08:59 AM EDT
I went into work a little late this morning around 10. I drive about 50 miles on I-70 & 670 from South Charleston (west of Columbus) to Gahanna.

This should come as no shock to Ohio residents, but I saw at least 10 people stopped by OHP. I watched 1 officer trying to get past traffic in the left lane on 70, tailgating several vehicles and essentially driving into the median to get around them, to get to the speeding vehicle that he had probably lasered. If I didn't see 20 Patrol vehicles on the side of the road either watching or writing tickets, I would be surprised.

Be careful this weekend: both of the drunk drivers, and of the King's revenue collectors.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife got zapped last night.

She should have known better, but still got caught for 77/60.

At least she admits fault (Like there's any question, but you know....)
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
No dount, 950 fatalities is a lot.

Ohio has 11.5 Million residents.  If you figure 11.5M x 1.5 (guess) vehicle trips per day, per resident  = 6,296.25 Million trips per year

6296.25M / 950 deaths = 1 death per 6.63M vehicle trips

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]

What does this have to do with speeding tickets? I find the notion that traffic enforcement officers writing speeding tickets care primaily about safety to be laughable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What does this have to do with speeding tickets? I find the notion that traffic enforcement officers writing speeding tickets care primaily about safety to be laughable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

we got one!
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to do my best to keep off any major highways this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Where is the correlation between any amount of speeding and fatalities ?

Motor vehicle crash deaths involving speeding as a contributing factor,
2014 -  28%,
Non-speeding related
2014 - 72%
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Friday night between 161 and Polaris there were 6 staties and a cpd dude peaking out from behind a barrier. That must be the safest section of Rd, there's always motorcycle cops there, driving the wrong way on the shoulder.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
From Amherst to Parkersburg, WV on Saturday morning there were 9 cops, and on the return trip on Sunday there were 13.  We make this trip a lot and the normal number is zero to 2.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
From Amherst to Parkersburg, WV on Saturday morning there were 9 cops, and on the return trip on Sunday there were 13.  We make this trip a lot and the normal number is zero to 2.  

View Quote

Toledo to Amherst on the Turnpike (Friday) was an OSHP convention.

The trip back this morning (7am) had far fewer.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#13]
The OSHP money-grab-bonanza was a stunning success. 2,913 people got pulled over for going too fast...which affected nothing but the coffers of the OSHP, and the wallets of the peasants.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The problem is that once it has another charge, DUI, Reckless, etc, it is moved out of the speeding statistics and attributed to other factors.

I wrote a 99 in a 70 this weekend and feel pretty good about it.  No, a Prius cannot outrun a Charger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2014 -  28%,

Non-speeding related

2014 - 72%

The problem is that once it has another charge, DUI, Reckless, etc, it is moved out of the speeding statistics and attributed to other factors.

I wrote a 99 in a 70 this weekend and feel pretty good about it.  No, a Prius cannot outrun a Charger.

Isn't 99 in a 70 reckless op?

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The OSHP money-grab-bonanza was a stunning success. 2,913 people got pulled over for going too fast...which affected nothing but the coffers of the OSHP, and the wallets of the peasants.
View Quote

Those flying tires ain't gonna sell themselves.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2014 -  28%,
Non-speeding related
2014 - 72%

But the commercials say you'll be stymied by the impressive range and power of the mighty Prius!

It was on TV! It HAS to be true!
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not sure how the OSHP works but when we write speeding tickets our department sees $0 of the money
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Dont you guys use Waze?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dont you guys use Waze?
View Quote

I used Waze on my travels on Sat and Sun, it was about 80% correct.  There were so many cops out that they moved around faster than Waze users could update the app.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't worry the vague "driving deaths" sign i see on I-75 will probably get inflated by 900 deaths.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
But the commercials say you'll be stymied by the impressive range and power of the mighty Prius!

It was on TV! It HAS to be true!
View Quote

I'm impressed it can go 99mph
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I had to run my Mom on a couple errands and seen troopers pulling people over on both 270 and Rt 33 and I also seen PUCO pulling truckers over on multiple occasions, didn't even want to be on the roads myself.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2014 -  28%,

Non-speeding related

2014 - 72%

Do you say stuff like "Alright Mario Andretti, I'm going to have to ask to see your pilots license" when you pull people over?

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#26]
There is no documented correlation between issuing a ticket and the reduction of a fatality. If the 85th percentile is 78 mph, let motorists drive it then.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I can understand reckless speeding tickets (99 in 70).  How about all these assholes on their phones and texting no matter what the speed limit?  I see that being just as if not more reckless and deserving of a citation.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

How about all these assholes on their phones and texting no matter what the speed limit?
View Quote

Hey, let's not have any cop bashing in here. They have an exemption.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about all these assholes on their phones and texting no matter what the speed limit?

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:38:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone mad.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Traffic deaths were down this year/weekend as compared to the several past Memorial Day Weekends...

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Didn't know you were back in the game?!  What county?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Traveled to Marietta and back this weekend again.  

How many cops you ask?

One, traveling on 77. None set up running radar.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
All holiday weekend cites I wrote have plead guilty.
View Quote

What's the point of contesting a traffic ticket when court fees and time costs are just as much as paying the ticket?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What's the point of contesting a traffic ticket when court fees and time costs are just as much as paying the ticket?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

points. some people can't afford any additional points and attorney fees are cheaper.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
points. some people can't afford any additional points and attorney fees are cheaper.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd pay an attorney to fight a speeding ticket??

And if a person has that many points on the license, they must have a penchant for getting caught, or they did something really stupid, and I don't really feel sorry for them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

You'd pay an attorney to fight a speeding ticket??

And if a person has that many points on the license, they must have a penchant for getting caught, or they did something really stupid, and I don't really feel sorry for them.
View Quote
I'm not advocating it.... you asked.

Also, I drive 100 miles per day....   so it is more likely that I will get some sort of moving violation than a person driving 5 miles to work and back daily. Even if I speed 10x less than they do.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#43]
True you did answer my question
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:37:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It took me a minute to figure out who you are.  I'm still in and upping the game this fall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know you were back in the game?!  What county?

It took me a minute to figure out who you are.  I'm still in and upping the game this fall.

Good for you.  Be safe.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, I tend to get right to the point.  I say I stopped you for whatever it is.  Sometimes there is a comical retort, but mostly it's just silence .

Last week there was a fun conversation.  Me- You were doing 79 in a 55. Him - I just sped up to pass a slow poke.  Me-  You mean that car that was going 55 that you passed?  Him - Yeah that one!.  Me- Ahaaahhh!  Him- Dohhhh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2014 -  28%,
Non-speeding related
2014 - 72%

Do you say stuff like "Alright Mario Andretti, I'm going to have to ask to see your pilots license" when you pull people over?

No, I tend to get right to the point.  I say I stopped you for whatever it is.  Sometimes there is a comical retort, but mostly it's just silence .

Last week there was a fun conversation.  Me- You were doing 79 in a 55. Him - I just sped up to pass a slow poke.  Me-  You mean that car that was going 55 that you passed?  Him - Yeah that one!.  Me- Ahaaahhh!  Him- Dohhhh.

LOL!! Made my day right there.

Nice work, officer.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top