Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/23/2016 9:42:28 AM EDT
I won't say that I've done a thread by thread, post by post read through so I apologize if I've missed it.  Does anyone know of a local (NW Ohio / Toledo) shop that will do SBR / DIY suppressor engraving?  I'll bite the bullet and ship my goods off if need be, but I'd prefer not to.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Check with Adco.  They might known someone
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Head south on I-75, exit 58..  Wicked Welding / Wicked Weapons..  Does  specialty welding for tool & die, and has laser equipment for weld and engraving..  look on Facebook if you do that sorta thing, plenty of pics and videos

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=666345690084030&fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=82889776920&fref=ts

1 of  2  or 3 recent topic   https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_12/599130_Laser_engraving_in_the_Dayton_OH_area____.html
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
A business named Signs and Such in Toledo Ohio said they would try and engrave my lower. They wanted me to bring it out and see if it would fit in their machine. They haven't done one yet but sounded willing to give it a try. I haven't taken mine yet. The guys first name is Joe.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I used some local places with mixed results.  Ended up shipping mine off to Tarheel State Firearms.  30.00 per item and I think it is 15 flat fee to ship back.  I shipped on Monday and it was back to me by Saturday. Results and placement of engraving was the best out of any SBR/Suppressor engraving I have had to date.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
While it's not local, it's not too far from you.

I had him do two of mine, and several others have also.

http://www.garysbunker.com/engraving/
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#6]
419 Firearms does engraving, IIRC. They're in Grand Rapids.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies and great leads!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check with Adco.  They might known someone
View Quote

I asked the guys at Adco a couple months ago.   They said they didn't know anybody to do engraving.  In fact, they were of the opinion that no engraving needed to be done when you make a SBR.  The shop was kind of busy, so I didn't inquire further about that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A business named Signs and Such in Toledo Ohio said they would try and engrave my lower. They wanted me to bring it out and see if it would fit in their machine. They haven't done one yet but sounded willing to give it a try. I haven't taken mine yet. The guys first name is Joe.
View Quote

These guys?

http://signsandsuch.com/contact.shtml

That'd be awfully convenient if they can do it right at a reasonable price!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I just spoke with Signs and Such and they do NFA engraving.  He seemed sorta skittish talking it about it on the phone but said that he had done NFA engraving before when I asked him directly about it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just spoke with Signs and Such and they do NFA engraving.  He seemed sorta skittish talking it about it on the phone but said that he had done NFA engraving before when I asked him directly about it.
View Quote

Cat is out of the bag now.  If he is requiring you to leave the firearm to have them work on it.  THAT might be why they got a problem.  Or he doesn't want certain customers to catch wind of what he does and they pull the plug for business with him due to PC.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll post an AAR as soon as I get the chance to stop by and talk to them face to face.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll post an AAR as soon as I get the chance to stop by and talk to them face to face.
View Quote

Thank you.  I am in the same boat you are for engraving an AR-15 lower eventually.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

These guys?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These guys?

Correct.  He's never done one so you'd be a guinea pig if they would do it. I was his old neighbor, so not sure he would do it for another but worth a shot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#15]
419 Firearms does not do engraving but he's willing to give it a shot and quoted me $75 for and sbr
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
419 Firearms does not do engraving but he's willing to give it a shot and quoted me $75 for and sbr
View Quote

$75 for a "shot",,,  just run down here Saturday morning,, Pete likely do it while you wait, and you may even get to watch..
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I dropped off a tube that will eventually be a form 1 suppressor.  Straight forward conversation,  I'll post pics when I get it back. Quoted price was surprising but I won't mention as the caveat was 'shouldn't be more than $xx'. We'll see
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
and you may even get to watch..
View Quote

You usually pay extra for watchers.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
$75 for a "shot",,,  just run down here Saturday morning,, Pete likely do it while you wait, and you may even get to watch..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He has the capability and the machines to do it. He isn't some hack shop.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't mean to imply that he it was anything other than a great shop or guy. We had a quick conversation via text messages and he struck me as a good cat. There's some good looking product on his website.  Just stating what the interaction was and that engraving isn't something he typically does.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I have used Ident Engraving in the past and was very pleased with the results.  I recently discovered a local trophy shop that was able to engrave a lower, so that is something to consider.  Just be sure to verify they can get to the required depth.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Roger that.  Made it a point to mention the .003 inch depth and 1/16 height requirement.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Roger that.  Made it a point to mention the .003 inch depth and 1/16 height requirement.
View Quote

1/16 is only for the serial number, other info doesn't have a size req just depth and location
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Updates?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Barstow' Gifts & Engraving

268 N. State St., Ste B

Westerville, OH 43081

614-794-3957

Just had 2 done, $25 a piece and he blacked the engravings, got mine back in 2 days.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Nothing to report yet, I'm trying to be patient but I figure that I'll be within the bounds of good form if I call tomorrow at the 10 day mark.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Gun Envy
4110 Indianola Ave, Columbus, OH 43214
(614) 467-4917

$40 + ~$10 to fill the bare alloy so it matches the receiver. I think they charge ~$25 to strip the receiver if you didn't already.

Quick and professional. I showed up on a Monday afternoon and they had time and my three were done in 45 minutes. Would have completed the job in 1-2 weeks otherwise. Did really nice Cerakote work too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Tube is finished, will post pics when I have it in hand.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I know they are not a local company but this place has done work for me and will bet my next project. They are not the cheapest but the work is top notch.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Lesson learned.  Buy once, cry once.  I'll be paying for shipping.  Granted, it cost $20 and I had it back in less than 2 weeks buy it looks nothing like some of the other examples I've seen posted here by those wiser than me.  It's passable but the quality isn't something that I would pay for again.  FYI:  Anodized Aluminum C sized tube from SDTac.  I'm too embarrassed to post pics.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I had the guy associated with SD Tactical do my d cell Ti tube.  $25.  And it looks great.  SD delivered it to him and he shipped it direct to me.  No fuss.

Locally, I had Gun Envy do my SBR lower.  They had it done a day after I dropped it off.  But called me two weeks later asking why I hadn't picked it up.  "Because no one told me it was ready".
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lesson learned.  Buy once, cry once.  I'll be paying for shipping.  Granted, it cost $20 and I had it back in less than 2 weeks buy it looks nothing like some of the other examples I've seen posted here by those wiser than me.  It's passable but the quality isn't something that I would pay for again.  FYI:  Anodized Aluminum C sized tube from SDTac.  I'm too embarrassed to post pics.
View Quote

Ouch.  It was 419 Firearms that did the work, right?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I sent a lower to THSF for NFA engraving, and provided my own return shipping label. I think it was around $45 including shipping both ways, and I had it back in my hands within a week of sending it. It looks perfect and I highly recommend them for your future projects.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Negative, Signs and Such

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Negative, Signs and Such  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative, Signs and Such  

Darn.  They would have been very convenient.  Thank you for letting us know how it turned out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top