Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2016 8:47:36 AM EDT
Stupid question but can you travel in your car with a suppressor attached to your weapon?  Or is there some special rule that it can't be installed until you are at the range?

What about on an ar pistol or any pistol?  Can it be concealed?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing of the sort
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Just remember that different municipalities have different laws so double check the laws of anywhere you pass through as ignorance is no excuse. Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just remember that different municipalities have different laws so double check the laws of anywhere you pass through as ignorance is no excuse. Better safe than sorry.
View Quote

Ohio has preemption.  Just because Cleveland thinks they can beat their chest and pass anti gun laws, doesn't mean they are legal or could stand up in court.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Most respects, I just toss what ever in the back of the van and have at it..   Dont do anything to call attention to yourself, and there should be no worry of talk to Mr PO PO unless your lights dont work proper, loud exhaust, speed, erratic drive, not dressing respectable..  I've drivien through Columbus with subgun in case on back seat in my cracker box, and Franklin Co Sheriff in left lane in my blind spot
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as you have your carry permit for the concealed pistol and the proper NFA docs for the suppressor you wont have a problem.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As long as you have your carry permit for the concealed pistol and the proper NFA docs for the suppressor you wont have a problem.
View Quote

No paperwork needed for the suppressor.

The pistol only needs a permit if you're carrying it according to certain statutes...I forget what since I got a CHL.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#8]
which part isn't correct AJ? The second line?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
I suspect he means that being in possession of an NFA item without documentation that the item has been lawfully transferred to you could lead to a long day.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I suspect he means that being in possession of an NFA item without documentation that the item has been lawfully transferred to you could lead to a long day.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i understood that you only have to show the paper to ATF or Federal person,,not anyone else. I would certainly not refuse to show my form 4 to a LEO if there were questions,,, and it meant I could be on my way,,,but do wonder how the local law feels about it when they see class III items, and what they would do when they see them. I do normally carry copies with me.

You do not have to produce any paper that shows the pistol you are carrying has been legally transfered to you,,and it is the dangerous part of the combo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i understood that you only have to show the paper to ATF or Federal person,,not anyone else. I would certainly not refuse to show my form 4 to a LEO if there were questions,,, and it meant I could be on my way,,,but do wonder how the local law feels about it when they see class III items, and what they would do when they see them. I do normally carry copies with me.

You do not have to produce any paper that shows the pistol you are carrying has been legally transfered to you,,and it is the dangerous part of the combo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The trouble with that is, NFA items are concidered illegal under OH state law by defult, but having them properly registered is a defense to prosecution.  So technically, you are correct that you don't NEED to show local LEO'S your papers, but they would then have full authority to seize the item and charge you for breaking OH law, then you'd get to show your papers to a judge in court instead.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The trouble with that is, NFA items are concidered illegal under OH state law by defult, but having them properly registered is a defense to prosecution.  So technically, you are correct that you don't NEED to show local LEO'S your papers, but they would then have full authority to seize the item and charge you for breaking OH law, then you'd get to show your papers to a judge in court instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are illegal everywhere by default.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Having your stamps with you isn't a guaranteed get out of jail free card. You still might get arrested, and unlike what happened in Toledo with the guy open carrying who got arested, I don't know if federal courts are going to hammer an officer for not understanding the NFA.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top