Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 4/23/2016 4:06:14 PM EDT
Directed to side of highway by motorcycle trooper. First words out of his mouth: "Do you have a CHL?" Yes. "Are you armed?" No. "You need to inform me if you are armed or not." I bit my tongue. Then we discussed the speeding violation and he walked back to his bike and started writing the ticket.

Upon returning, I showed him the statute that you have a duty to inform if you ARE armed. "Well I'd like to know if you have a gun or not because you could shoot me. Wouldn't you want to know?" I told him that I was not legally required to do so. He eventually conceded I was correct, but it was obvious that he was misinformed. We talked bikes then went on our separate ways.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If I cared any less about the OSHP, I'd break some type of physics law.

It's impossible to care less.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have demanded that he cite me for not informing that I was not armed.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Should have put him under citizens arrest for not knowing his own law he's trying to enforce lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Oshp seem to be selected for specifically for thier ability to be dicks.  They are always right, regards of facts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]
why would you still talk to him after being given a ticket?

i remember when the new dodge chargers came out in early 2000, i got one as a company car and got pulled over for speeding VASCAR on I-70 Licking County and the OSP wanted to talk how nice my ride was after giving me a ticket

F that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i remember when the new dodge chargers came out in early 2000, i got one as a company car and got pulled over for speeding VASCAR on I-70 Licking County and the OSP wanted to talk how nice my ride was after giving me a ticket

F that.

View Quote

I once had a local cop bust a U-turn, cause another car to hammer on his brakes, FLY up behind in me a residential area, all for a bullshit no front plate ticket.

Then he tried to talk to me about my 4 Runner, and offroading, and how he had one once.....

Get the fuck out of here.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

F that.

View Quote

I hear ya. I don't get pissed about tickets, however. In fact it's been twelve years since my last speeding citation. I also had no front plate which he ignored. I was interested in educating him about the CHL law, or allow him to dig himself deeper while he was recording his ignorance. I did it without being an ass as the car I was driving is distinctive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I hear ya. I don't get pissed about tickets, however. In fact it's been twelve years since my last speeding citation. I also had no front plate which he ignored. I was interested in educating him about the CHL law, or allow him to dig himself deeper while he was recording his ignorance. I did it without being an ass as the car I was driving is distinctive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

F that.

How was he recording it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Dash cams come on when the overhead lights come on if the cameras weren't already on to begin with. They wear a mic to record audio that goes along with the video feed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I might be a bit behind on this one but I always tell any law enforcement during a traffic stop that I have a CHL and I am armed/unarmed.

I even do it in other states just so I don't ever forget in Ohio. So far in both Oklahoma and Kansas the LEO that had me pulled over laughed and asked where I was from to tell them that, they appreciated that I told them, and just told me to "slow down tonight." Granted, in the 12 years I've had my CHL the only non-Ohio states I've been pulled over in were once in Oklahoma and once in Kansas.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Well I'd like to know if you have a gun or not because you could shoot me. Wouldn't you want to know?" .
View Quote

Should have asked him if he expects drug runners, thugs, druggies, ect to tell him that they are armed. The fact that YOU ARE is basically irrelevant. He should always be on guard.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Whenever a registration is run there are alerts on the plate that advise officers of a CHL license. It's attached to the registered owner of the vehicle. Our dispatch notifies us as soon as we put the plate out over the air. I always address the driver before the driver can inform. I don't find it to be offensive in any manner if you advise you aren't carrying. But duty to inform is a big issue with the state guys. I don't work for the patrol, however I expect a CHL holder to understand the law and abide by it just as any other law. It's something that makes some people nervous, mostly those who aren't comfortable with others being able to carry guns
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Your CHL pops up on LEADS when they run your plate/registration.  So they know you have a CHL.  Some LEO's are weenies.  I just tell all of them whether I am carrying or not as a courtesy.  Not that big of deal.

Um, why weren't you carrying?  
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:24:32 AM EDT
[#16]
OSHP changed a flat tire for my wife the other day, so they don't just write out tickets all day long.  I doubt he ran my plates on that vehicle or he would've seen that the owner has a  CHL.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I cared any less about the OSHP, I'd break some type of physics law.

It's impossible to care less.

View Quote

I got to that point.

Now I take them to court.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OSHP changed a flat tire for my wife the other day, so they don't just write out tickets all day long.  I doubt he ran my plates on that vehicle or he would've seen that the owner has a  CHL.
View Quote

He may not have been a detective but he probably saw that your wife was a female and not the male owner who has the permit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He may not have been a detective but he probably saw that your wife was a female and not the male owner who has the permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but women can carry guns and even vote now.....much to my dismay
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Um, why weren't you carrying?  
View Quote

Perhaps I was going out with coworkers after work for frosty beverages?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#21]
...this is prime example why the "duty to inform" is a crap requirement, and needs to be repealed.

I highly recommend contacting your state legislators in Columbus about repealing this!

...any cop that thinks duty to inform makes them safer has got to be delusional, IMO...  ...the thugs don't have CHLs, nor "duty to inform"...

good on the OP for politely informing the officer he had it "wrong"...
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Directed to side of highway by motorcycle trooper. First words out of his mouth: "Do you have a CHL?" Yes. "Are you armed?" No. "You need to inform me if you are armed or not." I bit my tongue. Then we discussed the speeding violation and he walked back to his bike and started writing the ticket.

Upon returning, I showed him the statute that you have a duty to inform if you ARE armed. "Well I'd like to know if you have a gun or not because you could shoot me. Wouldn't you want to know?" I told him that I was not legally required to do so. He eventually conceded I was correct, but it was obvious that he was misinformed. We talked bikes then went on our separate ways.
View Quote

What a cunt
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Whenever a registration is run there are alerts on the plate that advise officers of a CHL license. It's attached to the registered owner of the vehicle. Our dispatch notifies us as soon as we put the plate out over the air. I always address the driver before the driver can inform. I don't find it to be offensive in any manner if you advise you aren't carrying. But duty to inform is a big issue with the state guys. I don't work for the patrol, however I expect a CHL holder to understand the law and abide by it just as any other law. It's something that makes some people nervous, mostly those who aren't comfortable with others being able to carry guns
View Quote

You don't have a computer in your cruiser to run plates before stopping someone to see their driving history/criminal background?

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#24]
"A permit holder is not required to inform law enforcement of his status if he is not carrying a  rearm." - Ohio's Concealed Carry Laws and License Application, Page 11. Unless Mike DeWine is just making this shit up as he goes?

Ignorance of the law by those entrusted to uphold it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I might be a bit behind on this one but I always tell any law enforcement during a traffic stop that I have a CHL and I am armed/unarmed.

I even do it in other states just so I don't ever forget in Ohio. So far in both Oklahoma and Kansas the LEO that had me pulled over laughed and asked where I was from to tell them that, they appreciated that I told them, and just told me to "slow down tonight." Granted, in the 12 years I've had my CHL the only non-Ohio states I've been pulled over in were once in Oklahoma and once in Kansas.
View Quote

I do the same.  There are times to be a hard ass and times where starting out that way doesn't help.  I always tell any LEO that pulls me over if I have a CCW on me or not, just respectful.  If were in his shoes I'd want to know also.  But I don't do the small talk thing either, its a transaction, not a facebook get together.  Most seem to appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"A permit holder is not required to inform law enforcement of his status if he is not carrying a  rearm." - Ohio's Concealed Carry Laws and License Application, Page 11. Unless Mike DeWine is just making this shit up as he goes?

Ignorance of the law by those entrusted to uphold it.
View Quote

Sounds like the cop wanted to impose his will despite knowing the law
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#27]
"Duty to inform" breeds complacency amongst law enforcement officers. No criminal who is stopped is going to tell an LEO they are armed.

Officer #1 works in a state that does not have "duty to inform." Because he is unsure who is armed and who is not he will assume everyone is armed and approach every situation as such.

Officer #2 works in a state that has "duty to inform." He is taught that a portion of the population who carry firearms (CHL permit holders) will tell him/her such when stopped. As said officer has their first few encounters with CHL permit holders who gladly offer up that they are concealing a firearm they begin to become conditioned to such. The LEO becomes conditioned to the point that they forget that the real folks they need to be concerned about carrying firearms will not tell them they are doing such. That LEO now takes his/her frustrations out in situations like that which happened to the OP.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#28]
If cops actually knew the law, they'd be lawyers
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You don't have a computer in your cruiser to run plates before stopping someone to see their driving history/criminal background?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't have access to LEADS in the car. And you can't use it for a basis of stop or PC anyway.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I do the same.  There are times to be a hard ass and times where starting out that way doesn't help.  I always tell any LEO that pulls me over if I have a CCW on me or not, just respectful.  If were in his shoes I'd want to know also.  But I don't do the small talk thing either, its a transaction, not a facebook get together.  Most seem to appreciate it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad I'm not the only other over achiever.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#31]
If you remember when CHL in Ohio was being discussed, the "brass" in the OHP was totally against it. Many city police chiefs were also against it. Well with the patrol, I think some of that has filtered down. Not all patrolmen are assholes. Some are even gun guys.

I would think that the officer who stopped you was a younger guy.  Whether or not he knew the law, he figured you did not.

I agree that no officers know all the laws. Lawyers do not know all the laws, they have to look them up. There are so many laws, nobody knows them all. There are so many laws that most anybody could be in violation without knowing it. You could be sitting at a red light, stopped and get hit and be issued a ticket....if you are across the white line an inch.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you remember when CHL in Ohio was being discussed, the "brass" in the OHP was totally against it. Many city police chiefs were also against it. Well with the patrol, I think some of that has filtered down. Not all patrolmen are assholes. Some are even gun guys.

I would think that the officer who stopped you was a younger guy.  Whether or not he knew the law, he figured you did not.

I agree that no officers know all the laws. Lawyers do not know all the laws, they have to look them up. There are so many laws, nobody knows them all. There are so many laws that most anybody could be in violation without knowing it. You could be sitting at a red light, stopped and get hit and be issued a ticket....if you are across the white line an inch.

View Quote

I had a speaker for a class that was a Lt. Colonel in the OSHP and he discussed at length the passaing of the CHL law. The way he described it was that the rank and file troopers were all for it, as were most of the higher-ups that stayed out of politics.

The political people came out against it so they could get something for it. Say they're against it then have the senators and reps in the statehouse negotiate with them to give them: A) the rules they wanted for it 2) Political favors.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Your CHL pops up on LEADS when they run your plate/registration.  So they know you have a CHL.
View Quote

I was crossing over into Canada and the border agent asked me "Are you concealed carrying" to which I replied "Yes, I have a CHL" to which he replied "I KNOW THAT!" (it had popped up on his screen).  The conversation did not go well as I back-pedalled over and over to explain that I had no guns in the car.  The Canadians don't embrace our 2A or concealed carry.  In hindsight though, it was all my fault - I misunderstood his question.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It just seems polite to let them know one way or another. Even if it isn't required when not carrying I think of it as a courtesy that I would appreciate if I were on the other end of the interaction.  Even if duty to inform were to go away I would probably still let them know. I don't really see it as an infringement or anything...
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It just seems polite to let them know one way or another. Even if it isn't required when not carrying I think of it as a courtesy that I would appreciate if I were on the other end of the interaction.  Even if duty to inform were to go away I would probably still let them know. I don't really see it as an infringement or anything...
View Quote

Other than what is required by law (which I think is ridiculous anyway), I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to even bring it up
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Duty to inform is stupid...the law abiding aren't the problem.

As if those illegally carrying are going to say something...

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oshp seem to be selected for specifically for thier ability to be dicks.  They are always right, regards of facts.
View Quote

I have been pulled over twice in my life, both times by OHP.

The first one was a total dick. Pulled me over on my bike for a claimed 5 over, which I couldn't refute, as I was watching traffic, not my speed. Ended up giving a written warning. Just generally dickish through the whole thing, and repeatedly asked if I was carrying, to which I kept replying "no". (I rarely carry on the bike.)

The second one was totally professional - no bullshit, no dicking around, just "hey here's your ticket" and that was that. (And in that case, I was obviously speeding by a decent amount, not some measly 5 over thing like before.)
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I respect your opinion, I disagree. I feel that the licensing requirement itself is an infringement (duty to inform doubly so) and being polite and friendly has nothing to do with offering up information. Remember, the police are there to do a job and will be just as polite and friendly while you are being cuffed and stuffed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#40]
If I was leo Id assume every car had a gun.

I never understood it. I got pulled over ISP a few months back and told him I had one. He said thanks but you don't have to do that here.

Making the ticket a civil violation if I paid extra was some bullshit however.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top