Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 4/17/2016 2:45:52 PM EDT
Mark is the new R.O. at the rifle/pistol range. He is BIG on enforcing safety rules. When you go down range on the rifle side, need to have the magazine out of your firearm or firearm unloaded, and the bolt back. If he sees a loaded or charged firearm, he will pay you a visit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
He seems like an okay guy, not as laid back as Troy though. With the idiots I guess someone like him is needed, but his reasoning for an empty chamber is to prevent cook offs seems unlikely.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He seems like an okay guy, not as laid back as Troy though. With the idiots I guess someone like him is needed, but his reasoning for an empty chamber is to prevent cook offs seems unlikely.
View Quote

He'll give you his range talk on your first visit. He'll tell you no ammo in the firearm when people go down range. Nothing in the magazine, tube or chamber. AR15 bolts must be locked to the rear. Bolt actions must be pulled back. Nice guy but he is a trip.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

He'll give you his range talk on your first visit. He'll tell you no ammo in the firearm when people go down range. Nothing in the magazine, tube or chamber. AR15 bolts must be locked to the rear. Bolt actions must be pulled back. Nice guy but he is a trip.
View Quote
I've been twice recently, received it both times I don't mind it until he gets to know me. The first time, he randomly came up to my group of 3 and asked us if we had our CHLs and if we had them on us. When we told him yes, he said they were changing the rules and we weren't going to be allowed to carry anymore. I went there this past Saturday to shoot pistol, and they had one of the pistol tables reserved for a CHL class. I'm all about people getting their CHL's but at a place that is that limited on shooting space they should do it after hours.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Just wait until he sees my YHM .223 silencer.  That will get his attention real quick.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Just wait until he sees my YHM .223 silencer.  That will get his attention real quick.
View Quote
Oddly enough, I had my Osprey out that first time and he didn't say anything about it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been twice recently, received it both times I don't mind it until he gets to know me. The first time, he randomly came up to my group of 3 and asked us if we had our CHLs and if we had them on us. When we told him yes, he said they were changing the rules and we weren't going to be allowed to carry anymore. I went there this past Saturday to shoot pistol, and they had one of the pistol tables reserved for a CHL class. I'm all about people getting their CHL's but at a place that is that limited on shooting space they should do it after hours.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So no more legal concealed carry at a state owned and operated gun range that holds concealed carry classes. What a F@#& 'N joke.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So no more legal concealed carry at a state owned and operated gun range that holds concealed carry classes. What a F@#& 'N joke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, if true, I won't ever be going there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can't ban carrying at that location without changing the law
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They can't ban carrying at that location without changing the law
View Quote
I wasn't trying to shitpost. I was just repeating what that particular RO told my group.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Having the mag out and the bolt back isn't a bad thing.   I haven't shot at that range for over 30 years but it used to be like the wild west.  Having an RO and at least some emphasis on safety, sounds like a big improvement.      
I may have to try it out again when I get down that way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Having the mag out and the bolt back isn't a bad thing.   I haven't shot at that range for over 30 years but it used to be like the wild west.  Having an RO and at least some emphasis on safety, sounds like a big improvement.      
I may have to try it out again when I get down that way.
View Quote

I remember going there before there was any type of RO.  I had several potentially bad experiences then.  

Once I was there by myself and a car load of Gangbangers showed up.  Full auto Tec9 Mac11.  

The other time a guy showed up who was obviously drunk. Started blasting away on the 100 yard line with his shotgun.

I left both times.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mark is the new R.O. at the rifle/pistol range. He is BIG on enforcing safety rules. When you go down range on the rifle side, need to have the magazine out of your firearm or firearm unloaded, and the bolt back. If he sees a loaded or charged firearm, he will pay you a visit.
View Quote

Is he in anyway related to Ray at Deer Creek?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
You say they can't disallow carrying at that range, yet they disallow machine guns there.  How would it be any different?  Or is their rule against machine guns technically not enforceable?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#14]
First person I thought of.
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Over the last 5 years I've shot at both Deer Creek and Woodbury.

2 weeks ago I took a group of about 16 guys to Deer Creek as part of a bachelor party (it was in the morning BEFORE any alcohol) and the RO at Deer Creek explained the new rules and I didn't think they were unreasonable. It also helped to have set rules when having a large group like that with most of them not regular shooters.

Luckily I had bought a bag of chamber flags at the CMP and whenever a firearm wasn't actively being shot I had everyone put a chamber flag in. The RO seemed to appreciate it and it helped make sure the range was safe during cease fires. We had 0 problems following the rules and staying safe and the RO thanked me after for keeping the range safe the entire time we were there.

FYI the CMP sells bags of 12 chamber flags for $4.99, which is a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't mind when these guys are strict on the rules. If there is an accident, three things will happen: a) anti gunners will use it as an excuse to remove public ranges and relieve the state of liability, b) the range officer will lose his job, and c) someone gets hurt or killed.

Yes, they can do their job without being rude. The old RO at Deer Creek pissed me off to no end simply because of his attitude and his approach, but they still have a job to do.

Side note: The new RO at Deer Creek is a polite guy for sure. A welcome addition.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top