User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 4/6/2016 12:07:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Plan to be there again this year.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to try to make it out, but I'm not optimistic.  I actually haven't shot a match in 2 years, and I never get to practice anymore.  Anyone else who can make it out should give it a shot.  I won a certificate for a free gun at my first match, just by showing up.  They are a nice, easy way to get ino matches.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm.. maybe ??   Somebody talk me into it.. money ?  Loaner holster for shoot ?  17 or 22 ??

22 still need sight adjust,, 17 might / should  be ok
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the turnout like? I picked up a G19 on new years day and GSSF was a thought at the time. Have very limited experience w/ some IDPA at Oxford last year.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm.. maybe ??   Somebody talk me into it.. money ?  Loaner holster for shoot ?  17 or 22 ??

View Quote

You'll have a great time. If they need volunteers like last year, you can shoot one match for free by working the event.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
No such thing as too many volunteers. Plus you get Glock swag an/or an entry for helping. You up for it again AirRaceFan?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You'll have a great time. If they need volunteers like last year, you can shoot one match for free by working the event.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark at work come out and said he is thinking of working the match, he trying to get me fired up into shooting it.. told me all the Glock match is low ready, they dont draw from holster,, what up with that ? I I have a can full of ammo, so plenty to practice / verify sight align (G17),, dont have Glock sight tool though..
Need to know about sign up, money..
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Price with out membership
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Thanks for the heads-up AJ.

Is this May 14-15?

SBR, I have a web belt and (crappy) BH Serpa holster plus mag pouches that you are welcome to use.  I also have a plain BH Serpa paddle holster.

You can remove the retention clip, if you want.  I never use the holster, and am not a fan of them trigger finger release paddle.

I am a phenomenal shot with a pistol, when not under pressure.  If you give several seconds to take 5 shots, there's a good chance that I will put all 5 rounds into one ragged grouping.  But, when it comes to fast target acquisition, I am TERRIBLE. Almost all my shooting occurs at indoor range. I'd actually like to try something like this, but at the same time, feel like I'll look like a blind person competing.

Case in point, from our Wed night class.  We had 7 in class, with 6 shooting positions.  I was not in the first group of six, so they start shooting, and work their way through all their bulls eyes, looking like they were shooting the paper with shotguns.  When they were all finished after 5-6 targets, I got to go by myself.  It was kind of fun, since everyone was watching.

BTW, it is becoming apparent that all the safety rules you pick up in IDPA and other such events are really, really bad habits for CHL.  One specific thing that I have picked up is holding the Glock trigger after a shot, for the follow-up. I see others quickly reholster, and lock slides back, etc...

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I am a phenomenal shot with a pistol, when not under pressure.  If you give several seconds to take 5 shots, there's a good chance that I will put all 5 rounds into one ragged grouping.  But, when it comes to fast target acquisition, I am TERRIBLE. Almost all my shooting occurs at indoor range. I'd actually like to try something like this, but at the same time, feel like I'll look like a blind person competing.

View Quote

This is why I love IDPA. It gets you shooting from weird positions, on the move, etc., and all with the added stress of being on the clock.  I shoot worse than a normal practice session, I think that most people do.  For me it isn't about being the best out there that day as much as getting to see how my skills degrade when I'm off center, in a hurry, stressed, moving, etc.  It's pretty fun too...

I would suggest you go and check it out.  Take it easy, don't be a sloth but don't try to be the fastest guy out there.  There are some really accomplished guys that I shoot IDPA with that have both speed and accuracy pretty consistently. Every match though I also see those that fly through the stages way faster than their skill level and pick up a ton of points due to bad hits or even misses. I have found myself thinking "man, that guy just dominated this stage" only to find entire targets with no hits at all when we walked down range to paste the targets.

I haven't shot GSSF but I am curious about it. If this was closer to me I would probably check it out.  I love shooting but competition has always been an exercise in humility for me...

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Not sure where you are in the state, but there is also a match in Marietta near the end of July.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I haven't shot GSSF but I am curious about it. If this was closer to me I would probably check it out.  I love shooting but competition has always been an exercise in humility for me...

Not sure where you are in the state, but there is also a match in Marietta near the end of July.

I'm in NEO, Marietta is a bit closer but still not right around the corner. The biggest issue that keeps me from most matches (IDPA included) is that a lot of my weekends get gobbled up by work in the warmer weather months.

I would be such a better shooter if I just didn't have to work...

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads-up AJ.Is this May 14-15?

SBR, I have a web belt and (crappy) BH Serpa holster plus mag pouches that you are welcome to use.  I also have a plain BH Serpa paddle holster.

You can remove the retention clip, if you want.  I never use the holster, and am not a fan of them trigger finger release paddle.

View Quote

Thanks Mike,,  Mark come out razzing me some more to get me fired up to go shoot.. Appears no holster needed.. he says all starts are "low ready" .. holster just be to tote gun around, or stuff it in a case,, I more comfortable with case stuffing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#19]
OOOOP's

Happen on course of fire in back corner, Mark was RO for me... BANG-BANG-POOF !!  Was maybe 3 shot from finish whole course when  I knew that sound..

Had barrel out to inspect pretty quick, left shooting position with slide, barrel, and frame as pile of parts.. head spinning now,  re-shoot was worse than original run..

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
These look interesting.  Do you have to attend both days if you are competing?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
These look interesting.  Do you have to attend both days if you are competing?
View Quote

Pick a day to shoot..  I didnt even bother with Saturday, usually silly busy, and it was poor weather here, cold, wind, chance of rain, so I stayed home (25 minute drive for me)..

I went out late Sunday morning, bit quieter, and signed  in a little over an hr before they shut down sign in.. I Think with wait, I shot all 3 course in maybe 90 minute

You can work the range as range worker,  and shoot 1 round free I think it is..
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since Bob Vogel decided to make his world GSSF debut at this match, I dont think I'd be in the running for matchmiester anyway.
View Quote

There goes the neighborhood!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I would be there, however blew my ACL in training and waiting to go under the knife
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And?

You could shoot the whole thing from a wheel chair.   It's been done.

Although since it was this past weekend, you're too slow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would be there, however blew my ACL in training and waiting to go under the knife

And?

You could shoot the whole thing from a wheel chair.   It's been done.

Although since it was this past weekend, you're too slow.

I know, nothing should hold me back lol even being late, i tore up my knee late April
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top