BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/28/2016 8:20:27 PM EDT

Proposed Plan Would Give Ohio City Leaders Power To Restrict Guns

By

Kevin Landers

Thursday January 28, 2016 6:36 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A plan to give city leaders power over the state to create and enforce gun laws is back in play.

It's called the "Home Rule” and is backed by Cincinnati City Councilman and US Senate candidate P.G. Sittenfeld.

He says when it comes to gun crimes, Ohio cities should have the
right to ban certain guns, or restrict where people can carry them.

The problem is the Ohio Supreme Court already ruled cities can't but
that's stopping victims of gun violence from supporting the idea.

cont'd

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Heaven forbid local communities be allowed to make their own laws. As long as they don't violate the state constitution I'm fine with it, even if I don't agree with what a community might do.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
No.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
So basically f the state constitution we don't care we will pick and choose only to abide by the laws we like, and make up bs ones to make us feel better. Also screw the supreme court we don't care what how you ruled.  And yet they wonder why all the big cities are flat broke, crime ridden and full of scumbag welfare leaches who pay no taxes and only bleed the system dry. Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heaven forbid local communities be allowed to make their own laws. As long as they don't violate the state constitution I'm fine with it, even if I don't agree with what a community might do.
View Quote

We have state wide preemption now because cities were passing very restrictive firearms laws; bans on guns, bans on magazines, licensing to own or possess or sell guns or ammo.

Not only do people who live in cities get screwed by restrictions on their RKBA so do travelers through those cities.  How many different gun laws will you violate simply by driving on an interstate highway?  Even the National Matches at Camp Perry could be at risk.

Not only should we have state wide preemption it should be in the state constitution instead of just a state law; furthermore, any city that violates state wide preemption should have all state funding revoked, all their politicians should be thrown in jail for 10 years, and anyone who had their rights violated by any city can sue for $1,000,000 in damages.

I will add preemption is not necessarily pro- or anti- RKBA, even the hell hole known as California has preemption, it just means the laws of the state are uniform.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We have state wide preemption now because cities were passing very restrictive firearms laws; bans on guns, bans on magazines, licensing to own or possess or sell guns or ammo.

Not only do people who live in cities get screwed by restrictions on their RKBA so do travelers through those cities.  How many different gun laws will you violate simply by driving on an interstate highway?  Even the National Matches at Camp Perry could be at risk.

Not only should we have state wide preemption it should be in the state constitution instead of just a state law; furthermore, any city that violates state wide preemption should have all state funding revoked, all their politicians should be thrown in jail for 10 years, and anyone who had their rights violated by any city can sue for $1,000,000 in damages.

I will add preemption is not necessarily pro- or anti- RKBA, even the hell hole known as California has preemption, it just means the laws of the state are uniform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree 100%.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Agree 100%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree 100%.
I would need to move in a hurry if this garbage got through...
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree 100%.

I want to move to a State like Indiana, which does not allow ballot initiatives.  This is something I have been fearing for years ever since they passed the smoking ban in Ohio.  Bloomberg has made it a point to fund these initiatives as he did in Washington State with I594 (Universal Background Checks)  Direct Democracy is very dangerous as the sheep are to stupid to vote.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Little boy doesnt understand the laws. Heller vs Dc and in particular McDonald vs Chicago supreme court cases specifically outline that the ability to place restrictions on the second amendment is reserved for the Federal and State governments. Local governments cant do this.

Obviously this is part of protecting the second amendment but also to eliminate the mass confusion of hundreds if not thousands of different gun laws through out the state, it would be nearly impossible to travel anywhere with a firearm.

Ex: I want to drive from Toledo to Cincinnati. Lets say Toledo has restrictions and I have to put guns in the trunk, then im good for a few miles until i hit Bowling Greem, they thave a law that prevents high cap mags, so i have to exit before the city and drive some country roads to avoid going through the city, then I get back on the highway, now comes Findlay, they are ok with guns as long as theyre all registered, only a $50 fee per gun, then off to Lima, maybe they have a restriction that restricts quantity of ammo, 50 rounds per car so ill stop in Troy Ohio and buy the rest of the Ammo i need for the competition im going too, then Dayton has a outright ban on all guns so you have to by pass the city all together, then finally as you approach Cincinnati a whole new set of laws take effect.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]
A case law study of Supreme court renderings specifically Heller/McDonald may be in order before they start a happy circle jerk
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

did you really say that? or did someone have gun to your head?  You really need to learn what the constitution is all about.. I would no fucking way in hell want some local anti everything like the city of columbus even have the chance to enact ridiculess laws
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A case law study of Supreme court renderings specifically Heller/McDonald may be in order before they start a happy circle jerk
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys flipping out are saying local communities shouldn't be able to make their own laws?

Or just not when it comes to guns?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Any laws that infringe on Constitutional rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys flipping out are saying local communities shouldn't be able to make their own laws?

Of course -- if laws are unconstitutional, they should be opposed. I haven't said anything contrary to that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Columbus had an assault rifle ban many years ago. For the life of me, I can't remember how many hundreds of lives that law saved.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#17]
hope the have the cash to pay out the winners, like cleveland did..
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, it's a GREAT idea!

While we're at it, let's expand this concept to motorcycles and cars.  Motorcycles are a real problem.  They're loud, making them a nuisance.  They're also dangerous to the operator as well as the poor passenger who just happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time should an accident occur.  The people of my town should be able to pass a restrictive ordinance that bans them.  Should you unwittingly drive through my town, your bike will be impounded and you will be fined or prosecuted.  Public safety and all that.

Well do the same thing with non-electric cars.  It's an environmental issue.

Maybe voting too.  Only property owners can vote in our local elections.   Who cares about that silly constitution.

Maybe we'll tax minorities locally.

Etc......

Sarcasm off
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In the context of this thread, that is exactly what you are saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course -- if laws are unconstitutional, they should be opposed. I haven't said anything contrary to that.

In the context of this thread, that is exactly what you are saying.

The premise of this article is based on a law, not on the constitution. The supreme court said, based on an existing law, cities cannot make their own gun laws. This argument put forth by the writer isn't based on anything saying those laws infringe on a constitutional right.

That's not to say I believe it doesn't infringe on a constitutional right, but the argument is (or at least in my min should be) about local control, not guns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Oh, it's a GREAT idea!

While we're at it, let's expand this concept to motorcycles and cars.  Motorcycles are a real problem.  They're loud, making them a nuisance.  They're also dangerous to the operator as well as the poor passenger who just happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time should an accident occur.  The people of my town should be able to pass a restrictive ordinance that bans them.  Should you unwittingly drive through my town, your bike will be impounded and you will be fined or prosecuted.  Public safety and all that.

Maybe voting too.  Only property owners can vote in our local elections.   Who cares about that silly constitution.

Etc......

Sarcasm off
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, it's a GREAT idea!

Etc......

Sarcasm off

Yeah your local community SHOULD be able to pass their own local ordinances, provided they don't conflict with the constitution. I don't know why you have to use the sarcastic implication that I think those things you mentioned are good ideas. It doesn't matter if I like the idea or not -- local communities should be free to make their own laws good or bad (much like states should be free to make their own laws, provided they are not contrary to the constitution).
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah your local community SHOULD be able to pass their own local ordinances, provided they don't conflict with the constitution. I don't know why you have to use the sarcastic implication that I think those things you mentioned are good ideas. It doesn't matter if I like the idea or not -- local communities should be free to make their own laws good or bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, it's a GREAT idea!

Etc......

Sarcasm off

Yeah your local community SHOULD be able to pass their own local ordinances, provided they don't conflict with the constitution. I don't know why you have to use the sarcastic implication that I think those things you mentioned are good ideas. It doesn't matter if I like the idea or not -- local communities should be free to make their own laws good or bad.

I wasn't implying that you may think the examples I put forth would be a good idea.

I used the first examples to show how, by eliminating state-wide preemption, it would become very easy for an individual to become subject to serious penalties due to a patchwork of gun laws in various towns across the state.  I believe it would not be reasonable to expect the someone to memorize all of the firearm ordinances of all towns across the state.  Ignorance, however, is no excuse for breaking the law.  Apply this concept to something as politically charged as firearms, and you're asking for trouble.

The last 2 examples pertained to civil rights and the constitution, which you already addressed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spot on response Safe1!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

A huge........NO!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#27]

We need to somehow figure out a way to fix the the root of the problem.  And that problem is constitutional amendments via ballot initiative.  It pretty ridiculous that every single election cycle, there is always some kind of state consistutional amendment being proposal before the voters. With a simple majority of the vote, our state constitution has been altered.  For this year alone so far (2016) we are already looking at another marijuana amendment and an amendment to raise minimum wage to $12.00 an hour.  Whether you agree or disagree on the topic is beside the point, there shouldn't have to be amendment to our State Constitution on either of those issues. Our Federal Constitution has not changed that much over the course of its history and neither should our State Constitution.

As it stands now there really is no point to having a state constitution, given how easy it is to alter it.  All you need is some nanny state do gooder group to round up a bunch of signatures, make sure the wording is good, and presto its on the ballot.  THIS NEEDS TO STOP!

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#28]
^^^^^^Agreed^^^^
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Http://m.cleveland19.com/19actionnews/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:qOujYI8u

Look at 627.13 and the gun offender's registry sec 628.

How's that state preemption thing workin' out for ya?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Our interpretation of what constitutes constitutional legislation does not hold any weight with city, count, state, or federal legislatures.  It's ultimately up to the state and federal supreme courts.

We won some solid state cases but those can go away with an initiative on the state constitution.  We won some cases at the SCOTUS; however, in case you missed it, those decisions are being interpreted very narrowly by lower courts.

We can't rely on the courts to save us.  We have to do the heavy lifting ourselves.  If that means cities get their widdle feewings hurt that they can't screw with gun owners in any way shape or form too bad for them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Yeah your local community SHOULD be able to pass their own local ordinances, provided they don't conflict with the constitution. I don't know why you have to use the sarcastic implication that I think those things you mentioned are good ideas. It doesn't matter if I like the idea or not -- local communities should be free to make their own laws good or bad (much like states should be free to make their own laws, provided they are not contrary to the constitution).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

they can, as long as they dont go ageist general laws... kinda the point of general laws... gun laws are now general laws....  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, it's a GREAT idea!

Etc......

Sarcasm off
And the state should be free to pass preemption laws, when necessary.

What if your city wants to prohibit dancing?!?!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

We need to somehow figure out a way to fix the the root of the problem.  And that problem is constitutional amendments via ballot initiative.  It pretty ridiculous that every single election cycle, there is always some kind of state consistutional amendment being proposal before the voters. With a simple majority of the vote, our state constitution has been altered.  For this year alone so far (2016) we are already looking at another marijuana amendment and an amendment to raise minimum wage to $12.00 an hour.  Whether you agree or disagree on the topic is beside the point, there shouldn't have to be amendment to our State Constitution on either of those issues. Our Federal Constitution has not changed that much over the course of its history and neither should our State Constitution.

As it stands now there really is no point to having a state constitution, given how easy it is to alter it.  All you need is some nanny state do gooder group to round up a bunch of signatures, make sure the wording is good, and presto its on the ballot.  THIS NEEDS TO STOP!

View Quote
Seriously, why doesn't it require a 2/3 vote?

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like the 10th Amendment, if it isn't specifically given to the state via constitution, it should be reserved to the people. One could argue "the people" could vote on state-wide laws, but if the state constitution does not give it jurisdiction over that area, it would be overriding the rights of local municipalities and political subdivisions.

If my city wants to prohibit dancing, how does another community have the right to decide what's best for mine?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Like the 10th Amendment, if it isn't specifically given to the state via constitution, it should be reserved to the people. One could argue "the people" could vote on state-wide laws, but if the state constitution does not give it jurisdiction over that area, it would be overriding the rights of local municipalities and political subdivisions.

If my city wants to prohibit dancing, how does another community have the right to decide what's best for mine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If dancing is outlawed I'm calling Kevin Bacon,  and setting him loose. LoL,  but seriously if the heart of it all starts going anti gun god helps us all. Its the domino that will topple the rest of this countries great free states. Less hope not.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Http://m.cleveland19.com/19actionnews/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:qOujYI8u

Look at 627.13 and the gun offender's registry sec 628.

How's that state preemption thing workin' out for ya?
View Quote

9.68 overrides 627.13.

The registry of offenders has nothing to do with 9.68.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If dancing is outlawed I'm calling Kevin Bacon,  and setting him loose. LoL,  but seriously if the heart of it all starts going anti gun god helps us all. Its the domino that will topple the rest of this countries great free states. Less hope not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This would be a constitutional amendment via ballot initiative. Not all states allow ballot initiatives for the reasons mentioned above.  The naysayers know this and they are playing off the stupidity of "the people".  And there are some stupid ass voters out there.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top