Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2015 6:33:32 PM EDT
For those of you who live in Central Ohio I am looking for your knowledge. Is there any cities to avoid living in Central Ohio? Best towns/cities to live in? Any safe, gun friendly, affordable places to live would be much appreciated.

thanks for taking the time to read
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#1]
New Albany's full.

Eastside and downtown has plenty of space

but seriously, what's your budget and work/commute?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I generally tend to avoid anything east of Cleveland Ave/Karl Rd. inside the outer belt and 670.  Of course Vances is right in the middle of that area, so that's the only exception to my rule.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Why yes it is code for Columbus
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Need more info. Where are you working? What kind of homes are you looking for? Do you have kids in school?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Need more info. Where are you working? What kind of homes are you looking for? Do you have kids in school?
View Quote

needs to be within 30 mins of Central Columbus, no kids, and apartment around $550 a month. I'm more concerned about about safety/ gun friendliness/ nice area than anything.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

needs to be within 30 mins of Central Columbus, no kids, and apartment around $550 a month. I'm more concerned about about safety/ gun friendliness/ nice area than anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$550 is going to be a little hard to find a place in a "nice area"

Avoid Whitehall.  Your best bet is going to be an apartment around the Polaris (southern Delaware county) area or maybe one in the Hilliard area.  HIlliard area will have a little easier commute as US23 and the North end is a nightmare with traffic.  There is a huge project going on now to fix it but it will alwyas be bad and getting worse in that area.  There'e a ton of new places popping up out West of Tuttle Mall, in the Dublin/Hilliard/Columbus area.  Not a bad area out there at all.  If you're going to be staying inside the outerbelt, I would try to stay West of 71 and North of I-670.  There are nice places in the other areas inside the outerbelt but experiences vary.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your budget is low unless you find a roommate to get in a nice area of town, or you're just renting a tiny studio apt. Add a couple hundred to that, and you're looking at much nicer areas of town...New Albany, Westerville, Northern Cols. near Polaris, Canal Winchester, etc.

You pay to avoid the riff-raff.

(currently renting in New Albany, great place but it's pricier)
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#9]
London and West Jefferson are nice small towns, to the west of Columbus. Probably 20-40 minute commute depending on where you work in Columbus.

I live a little further west of there,  and commute to east side of Columbus which is 60 minutes.  I listen to a lot of Audible books.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

London and West Jefferson are nice small towns, to the west of Columbus. Probably 20-40 minute commute depending on where you work in Columbus.

I live a little further west of there,  and commute to east side of Columbus which is 60 minutes.  I listen to a lot of Audible books.

View Quote

Short of being in the hood, that's about the only way to get a cheap single apt. and not be in a Crimeville..find a small town 40-60 minutes out of Cols. to rent. Marion, NE towards Utica, West towards London, South towards Washington CH or Circleville, etc.

But, then sometimes you land in Methylvania and your floor is crooked and there's a raccoon living in your bathroom ceiling, which isn't ideal.

Oh, and you're putting $200 a month in gas so there's that extra rent you could have used to stay closer to town.

Never a free lunch, always a trade-off. I pay a lot in rent, but we have great amenities, nice neighbors and there are yoga-panted millennials jogging by at all hours. It's kinda worth it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I give up.  Is "central Ohio" code for Columbus?  (Which ain't in the center of the state anyway?)
View Quote

Franklin County and the counties that touch it. Centerville, the geographical center of Ohio, is within that area for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#12]
How about you try this....  "I will be working near _______________, and I am considering living here: __________________ .

Good Grief.

Unless you are some super secret CIA type, coming here to help infiltrate or eradicate the snackbars around Easton. In which case, swingset will help you.  He is very subversive.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I've got what I need thanks everyone for their input. I understand what our saying about spending the same amount to live further away in the long run as I could have closer, I'll call around and see what I can't find.

For the record I wasn't trying to be "Subversive" but If I said "I will be working near _______________, and I am considering living here: __________________ . " I'm afraid no one would have replied with places that would be nice but instead with, yes thats good/bad. I wanted to keep my options open and would have gone anywhere within 30 mins of Columbus. Sorry if that's not enough info for you, but I figured anyone could say a place within 30mins pretty easy.

Thanks again everyone
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#14]
If I came across as dick-ish, I'm sorry. Didn't mean it that way.  But Columbus is fairly large place, and it is 30 minutes across town.  So, if you are working on West side, we might suggest a few of good places that might not apply if you are working in Pickerington.  In fact I suggested two that I am personally familiar with.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I came across as dick-ish, I'm sorry. Didn't mean it that way.  But Columbus is fairly large place, and it is 30 minutes across town.  So, if you are working on West side, we might suggest a few of good places that might not apply if you are working in Pickerington.  In fact I suggested two that I am personally familiar with.  
View Quote

I'm just happy for every ones input. It may seem like I'm being super vague like my tin foil is too tight but I promise you it's not the case. I am going through he hiring process atm and they have multiple locations that I could go to; that being said is why I can't say im looking "HERE". I'm fairly certain that the position will have me at the east side of Columbus if that helps at all.  I am just trying to look at all the possibilities of everywhere around Columbus so no matter where I end up I know I have multiple possibilities. I'm not sure if I make much since but I'm trying to cover all my bases so when I get the go ahead I'm not scrambling with my head in between my legs. So any input on places to avoid and live are all valuable to me and any feedback is better than me guessing and being miserable.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm just happy for every ones input. It may seem like I'm being super vague like my tin foil is too tight but I promise you it's not the case. I am going through he hiring process atm and they have multiple locations that I could go to; that being said is why I can't say im looking "HERE". I'm fairly certain that the position will have me at the east side of Columbus if that helps at all.  I am just trying to look at all the possibilities of everywhere around Columbus so no matter where I end up I know I have multiple possibilities. I'm not sure if I make much since but I'm trying to cover all my bases so when I get the go ahead I'm not scrambling with my head in between my legs. So any input on places to avoid and live are all valuable to me and any feedback is better than me guessing and being miserable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really comes down to an inevitability about pay. If you have "X" to spend on rent & expenses you can only do one of two things if it falls well below the average rent in a desirable area.

Either you move closer to the dicier areas of town, finding low-cost or less modern rental housing and put up with that to stay closer to work, or you bug out and look well outside of the suburbs to the 40 minute drive areas where rent tends to be a little cheaper, but again this will chew up a considerable amount of your income in gas/wear/tear and whatever your time is worth....have to factor traffic in, too.

Or, you have to be creative and try to sneak into a better area of town by either finding roomies, renting something non-standard (like the upstairs of a 2-dwelling house), etc.

If you're looking at the east part of Columbus, you can be in Newark in 20-30 minutes and there are cheap rentals there. Not a bad place to live, might be a good compromise. Parts of Newark aren't too bad.

Think of 270 like a big toilet bowl. The turds are mostly on the inside, and some clinging to the lid. Most of the satellite communities around the bowl are GTG, but tend to be desirable for renters and for a single guy I'd budget $750 for a decent single rental at least to be in Gahanna, Blacklick, Etna, Pataskala, etc. Either go out farther to lower that figure, or jump in the toilet bowl and pay attention to the crime map to see where turd concentration is at maximum levels.

If you're visiting a neighborhood, here are my surefire ways to know you don't want to live there:

Instant check cashing store in most strip malls

International market

Signs on light posts advertising cheap mattresses

Bus stops with more than 1 guy waiting for a ride

Billboard for a DUI/slip & fall lawyer

Anyone walking a pitbull

You see more than 1 Chrysler minivan in any 20 minute period being piloted by a woman wearing a hijab

The cop cars look beat up

You see a toddler wandering around, parentless, like a dingo on the savannah

The trunk rattle of the car next to you is louder than the bass

The gas station has 3" bulletproof lexan with a turnstile to hand your cash through

You see anyone pushing a shopping cart down the sidewalk

More than 2 people on any given street talking to themselves, dancing, or interacting with traffic

You see more than 1 adult on a child's bicycle

Dumpster fire

A hair weave blowing across the road like a desert tumbleweed

A store that sells nothing but rims

A store that sells nothing but burner cell phones

Any store with bars over the windows

A restaurant that clearly used to be an Arthur Treacher's Fish 'n Chips but now is called "Big Teddy's Chickn"

Feel free to add your own...

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Billboard or telephone pole sign advertising paternity/DNA tests
Every few houses has a For Sale sign in the front yard
A pawn shop nearby
A corner store "Tito's Market: Liquor Tobacco Lottery Fish Chicken"
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#18]
$550 a month......good luck with a nice area

stay west of 71 and north of 70 is all I can say    

wife says look around King ave and 5th ave, West of Olentangy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#19]
For $550/month you can move around Tamarak Circle or the old French Market area off Busch Blvd. Plenty of shooting opportunities around there. No need for a formal range.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#20]
About 15 years ago $550 could get a decent place. Any place that cheap will be awful. Just a sad reality. $750 would be the absolute bare minimum for anything I'd consider liveable. Look into getting a roommate. Other than that I don't have any advice.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#21]
You can buy a house between $500-750 if you are willing to get one that needs a little work, and you have enough down payment to avoid PMI. I'd stay outside 270.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#22]
The cost of rent going thru the roof made me buy a house. The mortgage costs $350 a month less.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The cost of rent going thru the roof made me buy a house. The mortgage costs $350 a month less.
View Quote

Don't forget taxes/association fees when you do that math (not you specifically, just anyone doing this comparison).

For what I pay in rent, it's very close to a mortgage + tax in my area, and then I have upkeep and HOA fees on top of that. True I'm not owning anything, but the comparison in monthly outlay was pretty close between nice apt. and nice house.

Not ready to buy yet for job/location reasons so that's factoring in for me, but just throwing it out there for discussion.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:49:27 AM EDT
[#24]
So, I live right by Vance's and my dad lives in Whitehall. So we go against all advice in this thread. That being said, there are still pretty decent "pockets" in the shitty areas, and if you have no kids, the schools aren't an issue. We only pay $800 a month mortgage, and have a pretty nice Cape Cod that we are going to sell, only because we need better schools.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I would try to get 30 minutes or so outside the city as some have mentioned, anything in the general Columbus area is going to exceed $550 a month, I am in the Hilliard area and even though I haven't looked from what I hear it would be a stretch to find anything for under $600 and then you might not have the best of neighbors.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm looking for a new job, and while I will try as hard as I can not to move (I really love it here in Geauga county), I *may* have to. If I have to move...I'll be working in/near Columbus.

This thread would then come in handy. My budget is closer to $1,200/mo though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Look into the Harrison West area, which is almost downtown.

Very friendly neighborhood, little crime, almost all young professionals. It's right on 315 and 670 so easy to get anywhere.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll be able to find something in that price range.

The only bad time to live there is Comfest weekend, which still isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I'm looking for a new job, and while I will try as hard as I can not to move (I really love it here in Geauga county), I *may* have to. If I have to move...I'll be working in/near Columbus.

This thread would then come in handy. My budget is closer to $1,200/mo though.
View Quote

That's nice condo, decent older house territory...at least within close driving distance to Columbus proper. Move out 40-60 minutes, you can probably rent a nice house with a decent sized parcel for that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Very friendly neighborhood, little crime, almost all young professionals. It's right on 315 and 670 so easy to get anywhere.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll be able to find something in that price range.

View Quote

I agree with you......Harrison West area is not a bad area to live in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's greatly improved from what it was 15 years ago. Like many pockets of nice Columbus proper, you're always walking distance to shit-town, but if you don't mind that there are good little havens here and there. Areas of Grandview are nice, too, or University Village, Clintonville, etc.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Check the area before you move. I used to live in Reynoldsburg, and their city income tax and school tax both sucked. Pataskala and Granville are nice, but a bit of a hike to Columbus.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Check the area before you move. I used to live in Reynoldsburg, and their city income tax and school tax both sucked. Pataskala and Granville are nice, but a bit of a hike to Columbus.  
View Quote

This site will tell you the income tax & school tax, if there is either, for any address in Ohio.

https://thefinder.tax.ohio.gov/StreamlineSalesTaxWeb/AddressLookup/LookupByAddress.aspx?taxType=taxsummary
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

While you're looking for housing look at the OHGO website in the mornings.  This is the traffic site.  You'll soon pickup the pattern of RED roads that don't move during rush hours.  Same for the afternoon.

-- Chuck
View Quote
I was going to post same thing.  There are some really annoying traffic areas.  East side 270, and outerbelt 70 east inbound,  are insanely crappy.  Dublin area is a clusterfuck.

I take 70 to 670 from the west side to the east side every morning at 8a.  no problem, slow downs, and occasional stop and go (infreq).  But 9a is another story, pretty bad.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not a city person, so take my advice for what it's worth. I really like rural Union and Logan/Champaign counties. Still an easy commute to Columbus but you get a low cost of living and plenty of land available. You can get a great place on 5 acres for $200k. I bought in Logan county, big beautiful custom home on 20 acres for $310k.

I realize my comments above don't exactly matter to you right now, considering your budget, but just something to keep in mind. You could likely find something in Marysville which is an easy drive up 33 from Dublin. My wife works in Marysville and I think it's a great little town.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top