Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 10/6/2015 5:45:24 PM EDT
So, I have an 870 and a freezer.  How do I get started if I have no mentor and no land of my own to hunt on?

ETA:  Okay, I have a hunting license, a deer tag, permission to hunt on some land, a knife, a shotgun (which I zeroed recently; shoots an inch high at 25 yards because I know under pressure I tend to shoot low because I like to see my target instead of it hiding behind the sight), a processor in mind that's just a few miles from where I'll be hunting, and I took a personal day at work this coming Wednesday.  I've watched some field dressing videos on you tube... any tips from you veteran hunters???  I'm on my own and out of my element.  I mean, I've cleaned a lot of walleye but never even shot a squirrel.  Any advice appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Hunter's Education Course should be on the top of your list. You have to remember though gun season is only something like 7 or 8 days. I would look into getting into archery and you would have plenty more opportunities to hunt. We are lucky in Ohio there is plenty of public land to hunt on so that shouldn't really be a problem other than not being able to bait. What part of the state are you in?

Check this link out if you haven't already. You could also grab a copy from the sporting goods section of Walmart on your next trip.

ETA: Deer gun season is only 9 days this year Nov 30-Dec 06 and then Dec 28-29th.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of info online at ODNR.

Deer Hunting Regulations

Also,

A person authorized through state and federal law to own a firearm noise suppressor is permitted to use it to hunt legal game
animals. A valid hunting license is required to hunt with a suppressor. A suppressor is also called a silencer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a bow and you'll have FAR more time to hunt
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a bow and you'll have FAR more time to hunt
View Quote

One of my students, a fifth grader, was telling me today he's going bow hunting soon.  Kind of fired me up to do something finally this year.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]
All other posts are good points, a guaranteed option is to go buy a brand new vehicle, drive from 6pm to 6am.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Hunters Education.

Then buy a cross bow, not a compound.

Then go out in the woods.

Where abouts in the state are you located?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Grab your big game rifle, and follow me to WV over Thanksgiving week  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like to get into it also. I haven't hunted since I was a teenager and would go with my Grandpa and Dad.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hunters Education.

View Quote

South side of Cleveland.

My biggest issue is WHERE to hunt.  I know about the public land and the AEP permits but I don't want to just head off into the woods and run afoul of anyone who has an established favorite place or something.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

South side of Cleveland.

My biggest issue is WHERE to hunt.  I know about the public land and the AEP permits but I don't want to just head off into the woods and run afoul of anyone who has an established favorite place or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hunters Education.

South side of Cleveland.

It's public land. No one has a claim on a spot. Go scouting, plan your trip, then go hunt
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
You can also swing into some mom and pop type hunting shops and put the word out. Most hunters are always happy to take a new person out
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Tons of good Public land, for you I would say Mosquito, West Branch, or Berlin areas are as good as any. Different counties have different regs, download current guide at ODNR.com.
I was out at West Branch 2 weeks ago squirrel hunting, kicked up a nice 8 point................
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I'll be doing as well.  Never been deer hunting with rifle before, so I'm counting down the days!
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Start asking around. Most deer hunters are always willing to teach someone. For me gun season is a good reason to spend time with friends and take off work and drink at the end of a long day. Maybe get a little hunting done too
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's what I'll be doing as well.  Never been deer hunting with rifle before, so I'm counting down the days!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much are out of state tags?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Theres lots of public land thats very good in SE Ohio. Just dont expect to start killing deer with no experience, unless you get lucky. I started much like you, but it took lots of years before I started killing anything with regularity. You can do it with no experience, but leave your ego at the truck........it will take some time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I been paying $165 for WV license, comes with a buck, and the added doe tag..   I have free run of approx 35 acre.. but I stick to "old orchard" up above the house and holler.

My nephew been goofing with me,, this up the holler to right side of house -

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think I been paying $165 for WV license, comes with a buck, and the added doe tag..   I have free run of approx 35 acre.. but I stick to "old orchard" up above the house and holler.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds about right. $137 for license/buck tag + $27 for added doe tag.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice part is, if you hungry enough, you can run to store and buy doe tag if you want to shoot another until you "tag" out.... if you extra buck,  has to bought when you buy license I think it is,, and it cost more than doe tag.. I usually inherit deer from relatives while there, but I still give it a go to get out and spend time outdoors..

Where you going ?    I typically leave work Fri, head to in-laws' in bottom of Monroe Co, stop at Wal-Mart Princeton, buy license (if not online),, and head on to in-laws form there
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Take a hunter's ed class, they're free and you need it to get a license.  If you want to hunt this year, you'll need a licensed hunter to take you and an apprentice license.  Hunter's Ed

Read everything you can find on the subject, here on Arf, elsewhere on the web, grab a book or two, learn as much as you can about the animal, what they eat, how they live, how to find them, how to kill them quickly, how clean them, how to butcher them, etc.  Hunting Regs  Public Hunting Areas

Buy a crossbow or a compound bow as archery season lasts four months whereas gun season is a total of about 10 days.  (IMHO, compound bows are easier to use in the field, but the learning curve is bit a steeper.  I used a crossbow for my first season, and immediately switched to compound bow.)

Be prepared for getting up a few hours before dawn to spend time in the heat and humidity, the cold, the wind, the rain, and snow, just to twiddle your thumbs in the woods for a few hours, and every now and again have your heart threaten to thump out of your chest and ruin your shot.

I started hunting five years ago.  I knew no one that hunted at that time.  I just decided it was something I wanted to do.  So I took the class, got my license, and went out in the woods.  I didn't go after deer until my second season.  I suck at deer hunting, but I'm getting better each year.  I hope to actually get one this season.  

Bottom line is, if you want to do it, just go and do it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I started hunting five years ago.  I knew no one that hunted at that time.  I just decided it was something I wanted to do.  So I took the class, got my license, and went out in the woods.  I didn't go after deer until my second season.  I suck at deer hunting, but I'm getting better each year.  I hope to actually get one this season.  

View Quote

You cant "suck" at deer hunting.. camo yourself from head to toe, gloves too.. find someplace to sit or stand, and enjoy life, till you have to whizz..

I've sit on top of fallen tree out in wide open, had them walk out in front of me and stare..  Sat in chair on lane up on ridge, had one walk down stop in front of me and stare.. I had rifle pointing wrong direction on lap,, got mad and said booo and moved, it took off down the lane, stop and look at me again as I pull up rifle.. standing in open next to tree, had one walk by on couple different occasion..

Dont give up,, maybe WV deer not tooo smart ??
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You cant "suck" at deer hunting.. camo yourself from head to toe, gloves too.. find someplace to sit or stand, and enjoy life, till you have to whizz..

I've sit on top of fallen tree out in wide open, had them walk out in front of me and stare..  Sat in chair on lane up on ridge, had one walk down stop in front of me and stare.. I had rifle pointing wrong direction on lap,, got mad and said booo and moved, it took off down the lane, stop and look at me again as I pull up rifle.. standing in open next to tree, had one walk by on couple different occasion..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say I suck at it, because I haven't been successful at it, if the measure of success is filling a tag.  I've been successful at it in the sense that I enjoy every minute of it regardless of the results.

I bow hunt, mostly from a stand.  

I've shot a tree.  I've come down from my stand, started packing up only to realize a doe was watching me. I've called a doe in only to have some goober come walking up on the set, at fifteen minutes after sundown.  My first shot at a deer was intense. "Buck fever," I guess? My heart was pounding, and I managed to keep from shaking, except for my right leg, it started vibrating like a damn sewing machine.  My foot made an awful racket banging on my stand platform, but it got her attention enough that she stood still for my shot.  I missed by inches, sent the bolt right under her chest.  I've spent hours in the woods without seeing a single deer, yet as I left to go home, I only drove a hundred yards before stopping for a deer standing in the middle of the road sticking it's tongue out at me. (Yes, it was chewing some browse, but still.)

It's a whole lot of damn fun.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#25]
You may also check with some of the County/City parks.  Several in SW Ohio have bow hunting deer management programs where they accept a limited number of hunters to help control the population in the parks.  Two main benefits are the parks are usually close to home/work and there is generally an overpopulation of deer hence the need for the programs.  In the Five-Rivers park program in Dayton, I have taken 2 deer every year except one for the past 5 years.  The parks programs generally have a 'doe first' rule but that fixes the empty freezer part of your question.

JLE

Quoted:

South side of Cleveland.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hunters Education.

South side of Cleveland.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12029795_762596677186066_1106115973493850703_o.jpg

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12027292_762596897186044_4016884184741940449_o.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12029795_762596677186066_1106115973493850703_o.jpg

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12027292_762596897186044_4016884184741940449_o.jpg

Might have to give that a shot. It would be nice to be able to use a "real" rifle. Are cans kosher in WV?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Might have to give that a shot. It would be nice to be able to use a "real" rifle. Are cans kosher in WV?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best of my knowledge, put a can on the front and have at it...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Okay, I have a hunting license, a deer tag, permission to hunt on some land, a knife, a shotgun (which I zeroed recently; shoots an inch high at 25 yards because I know under pressure I tend to shoot low because I like to see my target instead of it hiding behind the sight), a processor in mind that's just a few miles from where I'll be hunting, and I took a personal day at work this coming Wednesday.  I've watched some field dressing videos on you tube... any tips from you veteran hunters???  I'm on my own and out of my element.  I mean, I've cleaned a lot of walleye but never even shot a squirrel.  Any advice appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#30]
If the deer doesn't drop right where I shoot it am I really supposed to wait half an hour before I try to "track" it?  I plan to aim for the shoulders or just below...  If I hit what I'm aiming at, should I be expecting the deer to drop right there?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What are you using?

Every deer I've hit with a 12ga has dropped within 25 yrds, mostly dropped where they stand.  Muzzleloader, they've run 100-200yrds using 245gr Aero-tips.  

Watch were it goes if it runs.  Pick out landmarks so you can find the impact point from ground level (if hunting from stand) and others along it's route.  I like to keep some toilet paper on me and "flag" any blood or sign with a stick when bow hunting.  That way I can look back if sign is hard to see and get a  general idea where it's headed.  Look for small ditches or narrow trees.  Wounds can open up when they stretch or jump over a ditch.  They can leave sign on trees if they bump them.

I don't think I'd wait a 1/2hr during gun season.  A few minutes getting bearings and then start slowly walking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the deer doesn't drop right where I shoot it am I really supposed to wait half an hour before I try to "track" it?  I plan to aim for the shoulders or just below...  If I hit what I'm aiming at, should I be expecting the deer to drop right there?

What are you using?

Every deer I've hit with a 12ga has dropped within 25 yrds, mostly dropped where they stand.  Muzzleloader, they've run 100-200yrds using 245gr Aero-tips.  

Watch were it goes if it runs.  Pick out landmarks so you can find the impact point from ground level (if hunting from stand) and others along it's route.  I like to keep some toilet paper on me and "flag" any blood or sign with a stick when bow hunting.  That way I can look back if sign is hard to see and get a  general idea where it's headed.  Look for small ditches or narrow trees.  Wounds can open up when they stretch or jump over a ditch.  They can leave sign on trees if they bump them.

I don't think I'd wait a 1/2hr during gun season.  A few minutes getting bearings and then start slowly walking.

Good to hear.  I'll be using an 870 smoothbore with iron sights and Remington Sluggers.  Since you're engaging me, which I appreciate, it's cool to shoot a doe?  I can't afford to mount a trophy and mainly I want jerky, smokies, and sausage.  Since I'm a first-timer and not a trophy hunter do you think I should shoot the first opportunity?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll jump in too. First off, congratulations for venturing out of your comfort zone a bit and jumping into Ohio's deer season.

If I was starting over yes I'd shoot the first deer that was in range. It's a long wait until next season.

Get out to your stand/blind/fence row as early as you can before shooting light. It'll help to not spook deer you may have an opportunity to harvest when the sun comes up. Also it puts you in position when other hunters arrive late to their stand and may push deer into your area.

Spend as much time in the field as you can. When the other hunters get up to get a warm cup of coffee they'll bump deer. When they get up to get a warm sandwich for lunch they'll bump deer, you get the idea. Pack a thermos, snacks and sandwich and stay out as long as you can.

Dress warm
Wear orange

Keep your fidgeting and movements minimal. It takes practice. Do the best you can. If a deer was standing in the woods motionless you'd have a difficult time seeing or noticing it. If it was moving around you'd be able to see it easily from a long distance. Deer see the same way.

If there is hunting pressure in the area there will be shooting around you. Keep your eyes open after hearing the shots. It's likely that deer will be running, maybe towards you.

You are at a slight disadvantage not going out until Wednesday but I understand work schedules. There will be less hunters in the field and many deer already harvested. No problem, still lots of deer.

Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm back from WV,, shoot it,, and mark where you shot it from, and where you think it was shot at,, you'll  want to start there where you think you hit it, and casually walk around that spot looking for blood.. you find blood, you in the game..

Dont start walking right away real fast, you will eyeball out looking for next sign of blood to get you in direction of deer travels...  we tracked 4 total this past week, all easy finds... they get a few yards, had "blowout" of blood all over(look like paint can exploded),, didnt go much farther..  works best with 2 people, 1 to stand at last spot, next move forward till the person behind can move on up to next spot..

I been told that spray bottle full of hydrogen peroxide will make trace blood fizz right up,, never had desire to tote bottle of stuff with me
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hey,  I'd be interested in this next year if you'd have me,  as I am in the same boat.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

All other posts are good points, a guaranteed option is to go buy a brand new vehicle, drive from 6pm to 6am.
View Quote
I found a big ass buck this way last night,  just east of Yellow Springs.
No,  I wasn't high,  either.
Visiting Clifton Mill to see Christmas light display (well worth the trip)

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, first hunt down with no luck.  Spent four hours sitting against a tree and then took a walk, found a stand, and sat up there until about 12:30.  Only thing I saw was a small "herd" running in the trees about 75 yards away - only saw them for a few seconds.  Property owners said "come back any time" so I'll try to get back out there this year.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, my first deer season is on the books and no luck.  I went out three times including this morning.  Spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos and reading about deer movement and field dressing and stuff.  I felt pretty prepared but the thing I didn't expect, the HARD part, was the deer showing up!  One thing I learned is that I need some warmer clothes, maybe insulated bib overalls or something.  I'm a well-equipped backpacker, comfortable hiking in the woods, but sitting still in a stand for four or five hours in the cold is totally different.  Hats off to you veterans and successful hunters.  Those folks who say it isn't sporting don't know what they are talking about.   There's always next year!
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#42]
The cold is one of the reason I started bow hunting. With bow season starting the first weekend in Oct and going till Jan 31 there is some weekends in there that are not freezing cold. Plus early season allows you to hunt during the rut. Once the guns start going off the deer smarting up quick and go into hiding. The bad is you have to get in close
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well, my first deer season is on the books and no luck.  

SNIP

There's always next year!
View Quote

We've got five more weeks left.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top