Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/23/2015 6:04:28 PM EDT
Story in the dispatch

Look, I'm not a smoker or tobacco user but this is ridiculous.

They say they're not going to enforce it but I find that hard to believe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's not too be enforced, then why have the law? Good job, libs.

ETA: I suppose it could also be blue-haired republican ninnies... Both groups feel they need to dictate that we live our lives according to their enlightened plan.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah that's stupid. Not to mention anyone over 18 can buy it in an adjacent town.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah that's stupid. Not to mention anyone over 18 can buy it in an adjacent town.
View Quote

Well, not in Upper Arlington to the north... The dummies there passed the same ordinance in June. Also, it was an ordinance passed by city council, not an issue voted on by the people. What a disgrace.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well even if you bought it in Columbus proper, the way I understand is that using it under age 21 is still illegal in Grandview Heights.*

*if/when enforced
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:04:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah........don't see that surviving appeal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Full-Retard Liberal Politics in action.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is no different than the full-retard Republicans who think we shouldn't be able to buy wine before noon (or whenever) on Sundays, or hard booze at all on Sundays, or even have state liquor stores, or keep a three-tier system for liquor sales.

Or seatbelt laws..or helmet laws..or smoking bans in private businesses...
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]
So let me see if I have this right, the tobacco plant is evil, smoking it needs to be outlawed but the marijuana plant is good and smoking it should be encouraged?

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Legit question...does vaping fall inside or outside of this ban? It doesn't use tobacco.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'll tip my Bud Light to that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So let me see if I have this right, the tobacco plant is evil, smoking it needs to be outlawed but the marijuana plant is good and smoking it should be encouraged?

I just think that it's funny how much tobacco is demonized by the same people who think that marijuana legalization would be a great thing.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Doesn't state law preempt this?

-- Chuck
View Quote

Is the smoking age a state law, or a federal dictate? And if it is a state law, does is say anyone 18+ may use it, or does it say anyone under 18 may not?

I seem to recall a while back the law was such that anyone could use tobacco products, but a person had to be 18 to buy it. Then it changed a while back (10-15 years) to outlaw use by those under 18.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It is no different than the full-retard Republicans who think we shouldn't be able to buy wine before noon (or whenever) on Sundays, or hard booze at all on Sundays, or even have state liquor stores, or keep a three-tier system for liquor sales.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't specify political party, I specified ideology.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just think that it's funny how much tobacco is demonized by the same people who think that marijuana legalization would be a great thing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corporate tobacco is bad, organic home grown is well organic and as such a gift from Gia
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#17]
They must have no crime.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is the smoking age a state law, or a federal dictate? And if it is a state law, does is say anyone 18+ may use it, or does it say anyone under 18 may not?

I seem to recall a while back the law was such that anyone could use tobacco products, but a person had to be 18 to buy it. Then it changed a while back (10-15 years) to outlaw use by those under 18.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-- Chuck

Here is something of interest from http://publichealthlawcenter.org/sites/default/files/resources/tclc-fda-impact.pdf
"Establishes 18 as a federal nationwide minimum age for legal cigarette and smokeless
tobacco sales with strong federal penalties, including the loss of the right to sell tobacco
products for chronic, repeat offenders (with no preemption of existing state laws or
penalties, and preserving state authority to impose higher minimum-age laws)"

It is also interesting that some states (like Alabama, Alaska, and Utah) have a minimum age of 19 years old to buy tobacco.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

-- Chuck
View Quote

Yes.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top