Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 10:04:02 PM EDT
There's a thread in GD about the UC campus cop shooting about 2 weeks ago.  It doesn't look like a good shoot from news accounts.  The local media, national media and the city officials seem to be promoting inevitable riots for lack of any other explanation.....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
First I've heard of it
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully things don't get sporting until I get a job down that way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're trying to move here, stay out of Hamilton County.  The politics will drive you insane.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you're trying to move here, stay out of Hamilton County.  The politics will drive you insane.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You eventually learn to embrace the insanity.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just sit on my porch in Clermont county, point west, and laugh.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Just posted in that GD thread. Univ. of Cinci closed campus and withdrew all of their patrols from local neighborhoods. Students living nearby off campus are screwed.

Univ. admin says riots imminent and that they cannot protect nearby neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just posted in that GD thread. Univ. of Cinci closed campus and withdrew all of their patrols from local neighborhoods. Students living nearby off campus are screwed.

Univ. admin says riots imminent and that they cannot protect nearby neighborhoods.
View Quote

Great...

Stay safe Cincinnati members.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Great...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great...

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try dealing with Lucas County politics.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup. No downtown for me this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No love for Opal Covey?

Ed Emery?

Not even for Carty?

Yeah, Lucas county is like Ohio's special education political center.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#16]
that video does not look good.

The whole "the cop wanted to kill him" nonsense is probably just that, unless there is more to the story, but in any case, that cop is probably going to do some time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The cop really fucked up. Basically executed the guy for not having a front license plate or producing a drivers license. Watch it in slow motion on youtube at around the 1:50 mark. The driver did have an arrest record as long as you arm but he didn't deserve to die.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The cop really fucked up. Basically executed the guy for not having a front license plate or producing a drivers license. Watch it in slow motion on youtube at around the 1:50 mark. The driver did have an arrest record as long as you arm but he didn't deserve to die.
View Quote

Too early to draw conclusions on this.  Wait for it to go through the courts IMO.  Meanwhile I believe it's quiet downtown and around Cincinnati.  It's raining pretty good, so we've got that going for us!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

From what I have seen (I think the same disturbing video that you are referring to) I would not want to be that officer attempting to justify taking that shot.  That being said the way that things are said (written) is important.  If the cop would have "executed the guy for not having a front license plate or producing a drivers license" that video would have looked a whole lot different.  The shot would have come much sooner, right after the guy got squirrely about his license.  
What I saw was the officer request for an already uncooperative suspect to take his seat belt off while attempting to open the car door.  When the guy reaches for his ignition and starts his vehicle the officer draws his pistol and orders him to stop.  The shot is precipitated by the revving of the car's engine as the guy makes an attempt to flee.  That is a long way from executing the guy for not having a front-plate or showing his license.
I'm sure that all of the details will be hashed out at this officer's trial and I would agree that with the information available this doesn't look like a good shoot.  I guess I'm just suggesting that we don't sensationalize this any more that it already inevitably will be...

ETA:  I'm not trying to be argumentative but I do think that it is important how we say things...

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

From what I have seen (I think the same disturbing video that you are referring to) I would not want to be that officer attempting to justify taking that shot.  That being said the way that things are said (written) is important.  If the cop would have "executed the guy for not having a front license plate or producing a drivers license" that video would have looked a whole lot different.  The shot would have come much sooner, right after the guy got squirrely about his license.  

What I saw was the officer request for an already uncooperative suspect to take his seat belt off while attempting to open the car door.  When the guy reaches for his ignition and starts his vehicle the officer draws his pistol and orders him to stop.  The shot is precipitated by the revving of the car's engine as the guy makes an attempt to flee.  That is a long way from executing the guy for not having a front-plate or showing his license.

I'm sure that all of the details will be hashed out at this officer's trial and I would agree that with the information available this doesn't look like a good shoot.  I guess I'm just suggesting that we don't sensationalize this any more that it already inevitably will be...

ETA:  I'm not trying to be argumentative but I do think that it is important how we say things...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh boy I can't wait to drive to work downtown.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Too early for the professional instigators to be there.
View Quote

Yep--but they sure are working on it. Trying to stir the manure and make it stink more.

Stay safe, Guys.

If things go sideways in Cinci--BE PREPARED.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep--but they sure are working on it. Trying to stir the manure and make it stink more.

Stay safe, Guys.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stay safe, Guys.

I second your post. Stay safe and be prepared if things go sideways!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I will think twice before I go down there in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too early to draw conclusions on this.  Wait for it to go through the courts IMO.  Meanwhile I believe it's quiet downtown and around Cincinnati.  It's raining pretty good, so we've got that going for us!!!

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top