Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/22/2015 10:13:20 PM EDT
Had a concrete slab and asphalt replaced by a reputable local company. I probably have higher expectations than most and would like to know if my complaints are justified or this is what is expected. Thanks in advance for your input. See pictures below:

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Sawcut line should have matched the existing. That one bothers me as well.

The wavy edge of asphalt shouldn't happen, but thats not the end of the world, I've certainly seen worse.

The seal at the edge against the existing asphalt is pretty sloppy. It almost looks like they used an emulsion instead of pure AC. I would atleast ask them to come back and reseal that edge, as it doesn't appear the entire seam is sealed nicely. Can't do much to fix the runs though.

As for the last photo, it honestly is hard for those guys to roll the very edge. I'm not sure the equipment used, but I'm guessing a very small roller. It's always a challenge for that last 0.5-1.0 inches, even more so with curb. You could have them come back and fix the indent. They will likely use a propane torch to heat up the asphalt, then tamp it in with a hand tamp, and they can make it disappear.

The good note, the asphalt appears to be a proper surface course compacted in place.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, i'd be kinda tweaked.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
No 617 lime stone or such along the side of the asphalt? That'd be my only concern with that.

The strike line in the concrete should of lined up. Not that'd it be any different, but that's my OCD.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
N/M
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Lamp Post is crookit too.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lamp Post is crookit too.  
View Quote

Some would argue that the owner is a little bent too!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Having seen these issues more than once in various Ohio courts-of-law, it boils down to:

I SAID and

HE SAID.

What a judge or jury will say is:

WHAT DID THE CONTRACT or AGREEMENT SAY?

If all you have is some kind of nebulous verbal "arrangement," who knows exactly what was supposed to be done? Then, all you've got is the old: "He said, I said" deal, which is really no deal at all. No concrete terms. What is "good" to me, may be entirely unacceptable to you.

That's why you have written contracts. If something is amiss, either side points to the paperwork and says: "This is not right because right here in the contract, we agreed to x,y, and z."

If one complains about an issue, there's gotta be some objective standard to compare sub-standard work to. I had a case up in Geauga County where a guy paid thousands for a concrete drive. It had issues--big and small. After months in court on numerous court pre-trials, briefs, motions, expert witness ($$) opinions on both sides, the judge at trial calmly said: "Slather some caulking on those parts. Award $300 to homeowner from contractor. You don't like my decision, appeal it. Next case...."

On the other hand, if you have a standard $1,000.00 driveway deal, and some guy's work crew is "in the neighborhood," and will do said job for $200 CASH, expect a crappy job from a prospective fly by night outfit.

Look, I am not trying to be a smart aleck or flame you, just what I've seen and done in driveways deals from Cuyahoga, to Richland, and up to Ashtabula County and all parts in between.

Bad driveway jobs, bad basement jobs, and bad roofs were the "trio" that paid most of my bills as a lawyer. (now ree-tired!)
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#9]
wow laziness.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No 617 lime stone or such along the side of the asphalt? That'd be my only concern with that.

The strike line in the concrete should of lined up. Not that'd it be any different, but that's my OCD.
View Quote

+1. This.  The edge is going to break off over time.  I had mine done and had stone out about 4" on either side of the driveway past the asphalt.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]
That looks like I did it.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top