Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 5:17:54 PM EDT
I have a Texas CHL and I'm driving up to Columbus next week for some business. I'll be dumping the rental car and flying home.

Anyone ever have any issues checking a handgun on Southwest Airlines flying out of Columbus?

I personally have never done it, but I've ordered my tsa approved locked case and everything. I always worry about running into anal retentive folks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Just flew out of CMH on Southwest a couple months ago with my carry piece. Declared it at the counter, they took the bag and told me to wait around for 15 minutes, no problems or snags. Worst case they'll have you come and unlock the case or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Good deal.

Got a link to CHL laws in Ohio?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good deal.

View Quote

Start here http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-enforcement/Concealed-Carry

And welcome to the Buckeye state!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good deal.

View Quote

...your TX CHL is valid here, ...and here's a list of applicable laws (not quite "cliffnotes" unfortunately): http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-gun-and-ccw-laws

..one thing to point out is we have "duty to notify" here, so I case you are stopped by an LEO...

enjoy your trip!

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Stay away from 270/I-70 west.  A tanker hauling methanol over turned, caught fire and most likely destroyed one of the over passes.  Someone near there may have more details.

Here's a link to the thread AS started.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1764050_Tanker_Truck_Carrying_Ethanol_Rolls_Over_On_I_270__Sparking_Massive_Fire___Cowlumbus__Ohio.html&page=1
View Quote

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/07/01/fiery-crash-closes-i270-i70-on-west-side.html

I-70 Eastbound got destroyed over top of I-270.

OP - CMH airport is surprisingly quick to get through.  I've never checked a gun though.  Last time I was in there it was gutted for construction so it may be a bit confusing to navigate, but it's small so you can't get too lost.  Just make sure you go through security at the correct terminal, I don't think you can jump from one to another.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
This is like my 5th or 6th year to visit Columbus for a convention. I'm familiar with the airport, but I've never driven in and carried a firearm there. Your airport is pretty small compared to DFW, so it's not hard to find your way around.

Seems like downtown Columbus is getting better. The first time I went, I stayed at a hotel off 70 near Buffalo Wild Wings and was told it was an easy walk to the convention center. BS, that was a trek, and once you got away from the convention center, everything was boarded up except for jewelry stores selling "grills". Next year I stayed at the Marriott, which was better except it was a block over from the YMCA and people would beg for money so they could spend the night.

After that, I got my shit together and got rooms at one of the hotels connected to the convention center, don't venture out much except to go to the market and a few places around the arena. Of course if I can find a cabbie who isn't batshit crazy, we'll make a trip to Schmidts.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#8]
If you stay within walking distance of the convention center you'll be fine. Except there really isn't a whole lot to do that close. Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Usually I'm out looking for cheap food. I'm always there Sunday night and it gets kind of limited. A few blocks east (iirc) of the convention center, I found a little hipster mini grocery store last year. I was able to get some fruit and a few other healthy snacks, soft drinks, etc. It wasn't too bad, but I still had to actively avoid some homeless. I'll have a car part of the time this year, so I'll be a little more mobile.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top