Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/18/2015 6:04:22 PM EDT
This article in GD seems to indicate that I should start asking for a refund now so I can avoid the time limit of three years to ask for a refund?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1749942_Supreme_Court_strikes_down_Maryland_double_tax_law__other_states_could_feel_revenue_pinch.html&light=Maryland

I have a semi just thinking about the cry babying some of these city leaders are going to spew about how much it is going to cost them!

(eyeballing you, CLEVELAND and your 50% credit)!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an income stream from another state for which I pay the state tax for. I get a tax credit from Ohio but still owe Columbus that 2.5%. I would be really nice not having to cut them a check for that, as well as provide my K-1s etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
This topic is relevant to my interests. Do we know if the courts would look at double taxation within a state the same as double taxation on income across states?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I only read the first few posts of that thread when it first came out.

I pay a city tax because I work in a city, but I don't live in the city.
Also, the vast majority of my income comes from out of state. And that state doesn't have a state income tax.

It doesn't really sound like it applies to me. I am not being double taxed. But I didn't earn any of the money in this state, yet I am being taxed on it by this state.
I moved here knowing this would happen, so I can't really complain, but if I didn't have to pay it, it certainly would be nice.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an income stream from another state for which I pay the state tax for. I get a tax credit from Ohio but still owe Columbus that 2.5%. I would be really nice not having to cut them a check for that, as well as provide my K-1s etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It sounds like your situation is exactly what the court was addressing:

Yet Maryland, while allowing residents to deduct income taxes paid to other states from their state tax, did not apply that deduction to a local "piggy back" tax collected for counties and some city governments.

Hopefully, they'll extend that same logic to inter-city commerce.  Some cities only give a partial credit for taxes paid by residents to other cities.  Regardless, I'd like to see the state take over the administration of city income taxes similar to the way they do school district taxes.  Navigating the different rates, rules, due dates, etc. can be a nightmare for those earning income in multiple cities.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#5]
City income tax should only be for residents. Businesses already pay income tax to the community where the business is located. This tax where you work is ludicrous.

Of course, income tax is ludicrous to begin with. It's not the government's business how much income anyone takes in
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This tax where you work is ludicrous.
View Quote

Especially given that it truly is taxation without representation. I pay significant taxes to a municipality where I am not allowed to vote, and that is total bullshit.

The partial credit I get from my resident city is also bullshit - if the state is going to let municipalities collect taxes from employees (and not just residents), then the state should mandate some sort of transfer or credit system between those parties such that a full credit is always received.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top