Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2015 3:40:17 PM EDT
If everybody hasn't heard yet, Jeni's is recalling its ice creams.

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams Recalls All Products Because of Possible Health Risks

April 23, 2015 – Columbus, Ohio – Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams has initiated a voluntary recall of all ice creams, frozen yogurts, sorbets, and ice cream sandwiches for all flavors and containers because of the possible presence of Listeria monocytogenes. The company is ceasing all sales and closing all scoop shops until all products are ensured to be 100% safe.

Listeria monocytogenes is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals infected by Listeria may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, infected pregnant women can suffer miscarriages or stillbirths.

The ice creams, frozen yogurts, sorbets, and ice cream sandwiches being recalled were distributed in the United States to retail outlets, including food service accounts and grocery markets, as well as online at jenis.com. This recall includes all products bearing the “Jeni’s” brand name.

The contamination was discovered in a sample randomly collected by the Nebraska Department of Agriculture.

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams is not aware of any illness reports to date related to the recalled products. However, out of an abundance of caution, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams is taking this voluntary precautionary measure in order to ensure complete consumer safety. “Our top priority is guaranteeing the safety of all consumers by taking every possible precaution,” says John Lowe, CEO of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams.

“We have decided to recall everything currently on retailer shelves, and we are closing our scoop shops until we are 100% confident every item we sell is safe. We have called in experts to help us find the root cause. We will be working with our suppliers to determine if the bacteria was introduced by one of the ingredients we use. We will not reopen the kitchen until we can ensure the safety of our customers.”

Customers who have purchased any of the products are urged to dispose of them or return them to the store where they were purchased for an exchange or full refund, and consult with their physician regarding any medical questions. Customers may also contact Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at 614-360-3905 between the hours of 9 am and 10 pm (E.D.T.) on April 23 and 24, from 9 am to 5 pm (E.D.T.) on April 25 and 26, and from 9 am to 5 pm (E.D.T.) on Mondays through Fridays thereafter. Jeni’s can also be contacted by email at [email protected], and at jenis.com/recall.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Eh, I don't get Jeni's anyway. Good but way too expensive for my taste. And way too pretentious.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blue Bell and now this?  Weird.
View Quote

It's probably an issue where they source their dairy and not the individual ice cram factories. Probably Jeni's and Blue Bell use the same dairy somewhere in their supply lines.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's probably an issue where they source their dairy and not the individual ice cram factories. Probably Jeni's and Blue Bell use the same dairy somewhere in their supply lines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure Jeni's uses exclusively Snowville Creamery here in Ohio.  I don't think Blue Bell gets anything from them.

Edit:  I guess they have gotten bigger and use more companies/farms now (https://jenis.com/blog/grass-grazed-milk-news-can-use/)
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#5]
i loved their shit, especially the stores...but got tried of the flavors quickly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's because Jeni's doesn't make their own ice cream base mix.

It's made by Smith Dairy, which also makes it for a lot of the other brands that cost less.

But the hipsters think it's cool to pay out the butt for it, lolz.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#7]
You sure about that? I don't think Jeni's or Blue Bell uses Smith ice cream base.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Never cared for Jeni's, overprices and didn't like all the hype that surrounds it.   However, never like to see a local business struggle.  Hope they get back on their feet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It's made by Smith Dairy, which also makes it for a lot of the other brands that cost less.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My hunch is that Smith Dairy makes the base mix for Blue Bell as well, but I could be wrong.

But I do know for sure they make it for Jeni's, as it's stored at my cold storage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Why would Blue Bell, in Texas, buy mix from Smith's?

As far as your comment that Jenis uses the same mix as other places, sure there are other companies that buy Smith's mix, but I'm guessing not the same blend & source.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As far as your comment that Jenis uses the same mix as other places, sure there are other companies that buy Smith's mix, but I'm guessing not the same blend & source.
View Quote

Because Blue Bell, has plants not in Texas. Two different companies suddenly have products testing positive at the same time, just like all of the Toyotas suddenly having stuck accelerators, and just like all the people that suddenly have Ebola. Then magically, all of the cases disappear.

I'm sure Jeni's has Smith's blend their base mix using their formulation vs what they would do for the Ruggles brand. My issue is with what they charge for ice cream that isn't completely made in house. They make it sound like it's all made in their kitchen, start to finish, when it isn't.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this the place that has really funky flavors like creamed corn ice cream?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Because Blue Bell, has plants not in Texas. Two different companies suddenly have products testing positive at the same time, just like all of the Toyotas suddenly having stuck accelerators, and just like all the people that suddenly have Ebola. Then magically, all of the cases disappear.

I'm sure Jeni's has Smith's blend their base mix using their formulation vs what they would do for the Ruggles brand. My issue is with what they charge for ice cream that isn't completely made in house. They make it sound like it's all made in their kitchen, start to finish, when it isn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

when it was local and small it was different, when it grew regionally and now nationally they needed bigger forms of production - we haven't been to a jenis scoop shop in about a year now...meh...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#16]
The "made in our kitchen" stuff is kind of pretentious, but I don't see the issue with someone else mixing together the milk, cream, and sugar. They have found their niche, that's for sure. I find it fascinating how much people are willing to spend there on a regular basis.

By the way, Jeni's confirmed in the Dispatch they do not use the same dairy source as Blue Bell. I kinda doubt it's a dairy issue. Maybe a shared manufacturing facility, or an ingredient supplier, but I don't think it's the cows. Just my hunch.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top