Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 3/23/2015 8:43:42 PM EDT
Update 2015 03 30:

Reciprocity Agreement Documentation is now available for WI and CO...

Don't forget, that carry in WI is contingent on your OH CHL issued or renewed on/after Mar 23rd 2015!

CO
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/getattachment/788212ab-70a8-4597-b3da-b03b9b66cbe2/Colorado-Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Agreement.aspx

WI
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/getattachment/4a2adf5a-83df-4a3c-93d7-9797e908e492/Wisconsin-Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Agreement.aspx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 2015 03 27:

I still haven't seen documentation of the actual reciprocity agreement w/ WI and TX, yet, on the OH AG's website...

HOWEVER, it appears that WI is listing, on it's CC website, that it is honoring OH CHLs, but WITH THE FOLLOWING CONDITION:

...due to the circumstances for how WI's CC law was written, and how we are only until now changing our background checks to comply, they will only honor OH CHLs ISSUED OR RENEWED ON/AFTER 2015 03 23... So, be very attentive about this if you want to carry in WI, ...many of us won't be able to carry in WI until we get our current CHL renewed....

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/reciprocity

Also, thanks to woozman and tweiss3 for pointing out, earlier, that OH AG Dewine signed reciprocity agreements w/ additional states following HB234 officially taking affect on Mar 23rd!\
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Reciprocity map for Ohio CHL holders has been updated on the Handgunlaw site!   ..The abolishment of the old "automatic weapon/mag law" also takes effect!

Also, OH will now recognize out-of-staters carrying on an IN or PA CHL, ...but, don't forget that Ohio CHL'ers are still not recognized by PA...
Handgunlaw.us Reciprocity map for OH: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

..more on the update here:
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/handgunlawus-issues-new-ohio-reciprocity-map-reflect-hb-234-changes

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/what-hb-234-means-you-part-ii-reciprocity
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
/shakes fist at Texas
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
/shakes fist at Texas
View Quote

They're too busy celebrating the defeat of the military powerhouse known as Mexico
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I love to see real Progress.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Pennsylvania, dammit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone have any info on when GA began honoring OH?  Guess I can let my NH non-resident permit expire if that is accurate.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania, dammit.
View Quote

YES, This!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Buckeye firearms website now says Ohio AG has signed reciprocity agreements with NH, TX and Wisconsin
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
AG website announcement: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Media/News-Releases/March-2015/Attorney-General-DeWine-Announces-Concealed-Carry

It does not however say when the reciprocity agreements go into effect, nor are  they new agreements yet listed on the AG site.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buckeye firearms website now says Ohio AG has signed reciprocity agreements with NH, TX and Wisconsin
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woot
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:42:28 AM EDT
[#11]
From the attorney general's website http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Media/News-Releases/March-2015/Attorney-General-DeWine-Announces-Concealed-Carry:

"Additionally, House Bill 234 provides that a concealed carry permit issued by another state is valid in Ohio so long as the permit holder is not an Ohio resident and is in the state temporarily. This change allowed Attorney General DeWine to confirm similar reciprocity privileges for Ohio citizens with Colorado, Georgia, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin.

I am a resident of Ohio with a Florida non-resident license.  It is starting to look like my license might have been nuked by this legislation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From the attorney general's website http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Media/News-Releases/March-2015/Attorney-General-DeWine-Announces-Concealed-Carry:

"Additionally, House Bill 234 provides that a concealed carry permit issued by another state is valid in Ohio so long as the permit holder is not an Ohio resident and is in the state temporarily. This change allowed Attorney General DeWine to confirm similar reciprocity privileges for Ohio citizens with Colorado, Georgia, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin.

I am a resident of Ohio with a Florida non-resident license.  It is starting to look like my license might have been nuked by this legislation.
View Quote

I believe that you are GTG:

Sec.109.69.(B)(1)
If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid
concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has entered into a reciprocity
agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section or the attorney general determines
that the eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially
comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of
the Revised Code, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall
be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this
state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

Gentlemen, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
/shakes fist at Texas
View Quote

I'm sure its changed by now, but 15 year's ago when I was stationed in Texas, their law read something to the efffect of "it is unlawful to carry a concealed handgun without a permit unless 1... 2... 3 While travelling". And somewhere the definition of travelling read "outside ones county of residence". I even had a conversation about it on the side of the road with a TSP officer.  He confirmed I was GTG.  Again, that was nearly a lifetime ago...
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#14]
They need to update the damn map to include the new states.  I keep one of these in my wallet at all times for just in case, and I'd like to replace it with the new version.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]
we now got about 35 states, but our next door neighbor is off limits......
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
we now got about 35 states, but our next door neighbor is off limits......
View Quote

What will it take to get reciprocity with PA?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
...added update in the OP: WI CC website stating OH CHLs will be honored, but with condition...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I read the WI link, but don't see what the special conditions are.  Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#21]
They will only honor Ohio CHL dated after 3/23/15
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well that's stupid.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well that's stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's stupid.

Not at all. It's the only way to ensure the CHL complies with their standards.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's stupid.

OH's requirements were more stringent prior to 3/23/15.  Correct?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's stupid.

No it is about the background check that we used to run, it didn't tie into national databases, now it does.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No it is about the background check that we used to run, it didn't tie into national databases, now it does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's stupid.

Yep, CHL applications are now run through NICS. Hopefully this leads to the ability to present one's CHL for instant approval on form 4473
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's stupid.

gotcha
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania, dammit.
View Quote

Make a quick trip across the border with $20 and 20 minutes. Pennsylvania Non-Resident Permit, several states worth of reciprocity gained, problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Make a quick trip across the border with $20 and 20 minutes. Pennsylvania Non-Resident Permit, several states worth of reciprocity gained, problem solved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pennsylvania, dammit.

PA isn't a quick trip for a lot of us.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pennsylvania, dammit.

That quick trip is only about an hour (one way) and they are only open during business hours.  Which is my normal work time, so I have to miss work to make it.  Not so easy sometimes.  It was nice when a simple form was accepted and took about 7 day turn around.  But this should be fixed, we need to work on it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That quick trip is only about an hour (one way) and they are only open during business hours.  Which is my normal work time, so I have to miss work to make it.  Not so easy sometimes.  It was nice when a simple form was accepted and took about 7 day turn around.  But this should be fixed, we need to work on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pennsylvania, dammit.

Several counties require references from their county, applicants only from adjacent counties or have a permit from said county already.  I live 12.5 miles from the state line and it was still a PITA.  But i did it, the got my $20
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania, dammit.
View Quote

What's up with PA?  My son is moving there for 5 years....
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I am going to find myself in Centre County in April.  I'll be renewing my LTC then.

--
Mike
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pennsylvania, dammit.

OH and PA do not have reciprocity.  An OH resident has to go to PA and get an out of state permit.  It isn't that big of a deal except for the drive and the time.  Reciprocity would be better.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top