Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 7:08:00 AM EDT
Whiteys Army Navy is closing. 20% off starting next week.  Just FYI.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Very sad. The family tried to sell the business for quite a long time but unfortunately nothing went through. I have spent hours in the store over the years and it is a great loss to the community.

I wish i could have purchased it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, they were an institution. I grew up in Lakewood but my friends and I would go to the Berra location whenever someone could get access to a car. It sure beat taking the RTA to Goldfish downtown...

I never really went there much as an adult, maybe once a year or something like that. It's too bad that they couldn't sell the business and keep it alive.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
They had a store in Medina for a few years. I bought stuff there from time to time. It has been gone since last summer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I took my son there last summer to purchase a sleeping mat for Boy Scouts. They just couldn't compete with the online prices. Even with all the tv commercials, they couldn't attract enough business. Just saw their commercial announcing the closing. I'll bring my son there again next weekend. Not for any deals, Just to say thank you for a cool store.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
yep. sorry to see it go.

the on line outfits can kill "brick and mortar" stores.

(p.s.--ever try asking a 1-800 "Customer Service" on line for advice from a real pro? FORGET IT! You'll get Sandu or Gupta from India masquerading as "Bill" or "Mike," who don't know what the hell you're talking about. Yeah--keep off-shoring those jobs for $5/day...right. way to go. your on line business will really prosper. NOT.)

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#6]

As of today, 3/3/15, are they still open?  I may head up there if you guys think the deals will be good. (its an hour away)
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to school up in Berea, walked by Whitey's every day.  Only stopped in two or three times.  Wasn't keen on the prices or skeptical looks I got from management.  

I must look more libtarded than I thought.

Ah well. Sad to see any brick & mortar go.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went to school up in Berea, walked by Whitey's every day.  Only stopped in two or three times.  Wasn't keen on the prices or skeptical looks I got from management.  

I must look more libtarded than I thought.

Ah well. Sad to see any brick & mortar go.
View Quote

That's a fact.  I always felt like I was an inconvenience at best to them whenever I went there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought my first pair of black jungle boots from them when I was 17 for $27. Over the years, I have bought t-shirts, knives, pins, stickers, and other "doo dads". I also sold them my Alphas and Bravos when I got discharged.

Gonna have to make one more purchase....
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They had a store in Medina for a few years. I bought stuff there from time to time. It has been gone since last summer.
View Quote
Came here to post this. Spent many a day of my youth at the Whitey's in Medina. I didn't know there were other locations.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I took my son in there yesterday. It was kind of sad seeing a mom and pop shop close down.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top