Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 11:45:12 AM EDT

The rumor flying around is that any system installed before 1974 will need to be replaced, or that no septic systems will be grandfathered in under the revisions, but according to the ODH, all systems can be kept as-is as long as there is no sewage on the top of the ground, missing parts/pieces or backup in the home.
View Quote

Ohio Septic System Regs Overhauled 2015

...so, if you "Got Poop?" topside looks like you need some reading here
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It's going to take a while for each county and health department to pick up these regulations and incorporate them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
So, if your septic breaks then fix it yourself?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
So, if your septic breaks then fix it yourself?
View Quote

sure...as long as you "jump thru their hoops" pays your money and get approvals.

(always good to have a case of good brews and a buddy with a backhoe )
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally talked to my state rep a couple of years ago about the cost of the systems that we had to put in around my County. He told me that they were going to fix that problem if I would hold off building, I would not be on the hook for 38-42K$. Well, I guess I forgot to mention the septic system I have now that has worked fine for the last 37 yrs.
I can see a lot of older people on a fixed income that could not afford that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I dodged a bullet then as this last spring, I had water sitting above my septic tank. I called a septic guy. He took the cover off my tank and put a long tool that looked like a potato masher into my tank and moved it up and down a couple of times and it just started to drain out like a drain that had a clog in it. I then had him power flush out the whole system. He asked my how many time I have it dipped out. I told him never and he said it was one of the cleanest systems he had ever seen. The guy was close to 60 too. Now, I may have to replace it with something that may not work? EPA sucks septic water.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm planning on building next year.  I'm sure I'll have more money in my septic than I will my garage.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#8]
So we can pass forced NFA sign offs one day, then stupid shit like this gets passed another day.

Sometimes this State makes my head hurt
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Some of the big changes are to require registration with the state for your system, and require a maintenance plan with a septic contractor (already required for drip systems in most counties).

The big changes involved will reduce the sand needed for mound systems, and possibly allow some places that would require a drip system to use a mound system instead. Atleast that's what I've heard, read and understood, but it will take time for each reviewing agency (health department or county engineer) to rewrite their regulations to align to the new state regs.

If you are planning on building next year (100% going to happen), you can always get your soil testing done now, and get your system designed now and hold on to the approval for next year. Also, remember, your septic system is sized by number of bedrooms.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some of the big changes are to require registration with the state for your system, and require a maintenance plan with a septic contractor (already required for drip systems in most counties).

The big changes involved will reduce the sand needed for mound systems, and possibly allow some places that would require a drip system to use a mound system instead. Atleast that's what I've heard, read and understood, but it will take time for each reviewing agency (health department or county engineer) to rewrite their regulations to align to the new state regs.

If you are planning on building next year (100% going to happen), you can always get your soil testing done now, and get your system designed now and hold on to the approval for next year. Also, remember, your septic system is sized by number of bedrooms.
View Quote

This is not going to benefit anyone, except those guys.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Who do you think helped write the legislation?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not going to benefit anyone, except those guys.

Who do you think helped write the legislation?

Why do you think I highlighted that part?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Operating permit? Its going to require an operating permit?!? FUCK THEM!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#14]
So, septic system installation and maintenance are going to get more expensive and the companies that do the work will make money. Awesome. Glad I'm on the city sewer system.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#15]
You can always count on the State to seperate you from your money, just because they can.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#16]
You can always count on the State to separate you from your money, just because they can.
View Quote

True words.

Should be emblazoned upon everyone's door lintels and taught at school from K-12.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So, septic system installation and maintenance are going to get more expensive and the companies that do the work will make money. Awesome. Glad I'm on the city sewer system.
View Quote

That is until you get a city (like Akron) that ignores EPA mandates for 10 years, finally looses the lawsuit, and after they are done fucking up, directly pass the cost on to the user to bring the systems up to standard, like we haven't paid them overinflated prices for years anyways.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like I moved to the city just in time.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top