Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Signed into law today!

HB234 Signed by Governor Kasich

WileyCoyote, update the thread title to Signed Into Law  
View Quote

YUP!!! Got an email from the NRA confirming!!!

Well done ladies and gents, this was a big one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Job well done everyone!!!!  Thanks to all the OH HTF ARFCOM folks contacting their statehouse critters, and Kasich! VICTORY!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell yes.

Hell. Yes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I told the guys on my local range yesterday(the RO's) that the day this law goes into effect I would be there with my 75 round AK 47 drums and my Glock 33 round mags to celebrate.    I don't have a beta c yet.  I bought the Chinese AK drums back in the day when they were $39 each.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Brought home a 40 round pmag today. 90 days countdown starting!!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I knew Kasich would sign the bill.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Merry Christmas Ohio.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Pretty cool!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep good for Ohio.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#16]
We should organize a HTF shoot this spring to celebrate!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:59:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know what the significance of this part is:  "DD-214 valid for 10 years from issuance (currently 6 years)."

And yes, I know what a DD-214 is...I have one; that's why I'm asking.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:22:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Anyone know what the significance of this part is:  "DD-214 valid for 10 years from issuance (currently 6 years)."

View Quote

I think that if you have a DD-214 that you can bypass the CHL classes, submit your DD-214 and get the CHL but if the DD-214 is older than 10 years you have to take the class? Someone that knows a lot more than me will come along and tell me I am way off base and probably not even in the ballpark

If this is the case wouldn't the DD-214 only be good once? as in the DD-214 gets the initial CHL for 5 years and then the renewal for another 5 years, well unless the law changes I guess?

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think that if you have a DD-214 that you can bypass the CHL classes, submit your DD-214 and get the CHL but if the DD-214 is older than 10 years you have to take the class? Someone that knows a lot more than me will come along and tell me I am way off base and probably not even in the ballpark

If this is the case wouldn't the DD-214 only be good once? as in the DD-214 gets the initial CHL for 5 years and then the renewal for another 5 years, well unless the law changes I guess?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you have your CHL, there is no training requirement to renew.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Currently the 214 is good for 6 years, meaning from the day you get out of the military, you have 6 years to get your permit with the 214 and not having to take a ccw class.

That's been changed to 10. Not rocket science
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Can someone break this new law down to nuts and bolts?  What does this mean for the average Ohioan?  I get headaches reading this volume of legalese.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can someone break this new law down to nuts and bolts?  What does this mean for the average Ohioan?  I get headaches reading this volume of legalese.
View Quote

Per Buckeye Firearms: Article Here

• Hunting with suppressors will be legal.
    Sheriffs shall sign Form 4 CLEO signoffs under the same process and fees as a CHL.
    Improved reciprocity/recognition that will make an Ohio CHL accepted in more states.
    Ohio CHL will remain valid until expiration date for someone who moves out of state.
    Non-residents working in Ohio may be issued an Ohio CHL.
    Eligibility for a CHL is closely aligned with “allowed to own a gun under U.S. laws.”
    All restorations of rights will now work for all gun rights.
    Minor Misdemeanors are not a disqualifier for CHLs.
    OPOTC training good for CHL, no expiration.
    DD-214 valid for 10 years from issuance (currently 6 years).
    NICS compliant background check for CHLs Training reduced from 12 to 8 hours, incl. 2 hours range time. Competency standard unchanged.
    Classroom training can be done in person or online.
    Instructors from any national gun advocacy organization now eligible to conduct training.
    Sheriff may use CHL funds for other firearms-related training.
    Attorney General to maintain Application Form (text of Application Form no longer in statute).
    Correct definition of an “Automatic Firearm” (Delete 31 round magazine rule).
    Ability to purchase long guns in any state (currently only allowed in bordering states).
    Parking lot carry not municipal trespass (already not state trespass).
    Buckeyes can carry on non-resident licenses, but only from states with written reciprocity agreements from substantially similar states. This will function like current law.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the dumbed down version.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone know how many more states will recognize Ohio permits or do we have to wait and see what the other states rule?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does anyone know how many more states will recognize Ohio permits or do we have to wait and see what the other states rule?
View Quote

It will be a wait and see.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Georgia should be basically automatic.  Their law is something simple like "you accept ours, we accept your's"

Texas will likely have to review the changes to see if our change to NICS-like check meets their requirement that our state only check did not.  Someone said TX only reviews these once a year in January, but I don't if that is true.

JLE
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats neighbors. I can visit Ohio now instead of zipping right through. Dayton Airshow. YEAH!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Congrats neighbors. I can visit Ohio now instead of zipping right through. Dayton Airshow. YEAH!!!
View Quote

Your state needs to reciprocate.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way I read that was any resident permit is now valid in OH, reciprocity is only needed to carry with a nonresident permit. So a PA resident with a resident permit is valid in OH, but an Ohioan with a PA nonresident permit is NOT valid in OH. I may be wrong but that was the conclusion I got from reading various summaries.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:05:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Georgia should be basically automatic.  Their law is something simple like "you accept ours, we accept your's"

Texas will likely have to review the changes to see if our change to NICS-like check meets their requirement that our state only check did not.  Someone said TX only reviews these once a year in January, but I don't if that is true.

JLE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JLE

We should get CO, GA and NH automatically as they say if you honor ours we honor yours.  TX and WI we will probably get once the AG review the law.  I think the fact CHL application includes NICS will get OH honored in both these.  Of course, all of us who already have our CHL will have to wait until renewal because I'm sure TX and WI will say they honor any OH license issued after March 20,2015 or whatever date this law takes effect.

Anyone with any CCW, CHL, CWP etc issued by their state of residence will be good to go in OH temporarily.  That means if you are not an OH resident, you are here temporarily and your states license is valid here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The way I read that was any resident permit is now valid in OH, reciprocity is only needed to carry with a nonresident permit. So a PA resident with a resident permit is valid in OH, but an Ohioan with a PA nonresident permit is NOT valid in OH. I may be wrong but that was the conclusion I got from reading various summaries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was how I had read it as well.But sorry our AG will not reciprocate but she may be on her way out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I hope so. I need my OH to be valid in PA.

That was how I had read it as well.But sorry our AG will not reciprocate but she may be on her way out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so. I need my OH to be valid in PA.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Better leave it in your car.  
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top