Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
full text of the bill passed today - feel free to dig in!

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=130_HB_234
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
...this bill must pass a concurrence vote in the full house now -> please see details on what we need to do next in the OP.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:15:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

...folks, I tried to quickly compile a bulleted list of the amended bills contents - it covers a lot, so I may have missed something:

Sub HB 234 (as passed today by the Senate) - An amalgamation of pro-gun reforms:

• reinforces CHL background check in order to open up reciprocity w/ Texas and other states!

View Quote

Can someone explain this one to me?

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Texas doesn't reciprocate with Ohio's CHL because not every Ohio license holder goes through an FBI background check.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
email sent to my representative
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Dumb question, but when are the reps elected last month sworn in? I ask because my rep died a few months back leaving his post vacant.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Email sent
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
E-mail sent.

We need to get this done!

Here was the House voting record earlier this year:

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#10]
So does the amended definition of a machine gun allow us to use magazine with over 31 round capacity with semi-auto firearms?  Just want some clarification on this part...
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So does the amended definition of a machine gun allow us to use magazine with over 31 round capacity with semi-auto firearms?  Just want some clarification on this part...
View Quote
yes. Call your reps tell them to vote for it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
And off to the governor it goes.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-house-concurs-senate-changes-hb-234-act-be-sent-governor-consideration

Now what the hell happened to SB338, that school zone CCW reform is pretty important.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-house-concurs-senate-changes-hb-234-act-be-sent-governor-consideration

Now what the hell happened to SB338, that school zone CCW reform is pretty important.
View Quote

I'll have a drink to this tonight! The bill might not have had everything that everybody wanted, but it is a damn solid step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

What was stripped out of this at the last minute were the school zone fixes and the 18 year old active duty being able to carry legally without a CHL.

It is my understanding these things will be addressed but they needed more time for the details to make sure it was right.

Knowing you don't always get the full loaf at one time I think what has passed is very good and a huge leap forward for moving Ohio up on the list that the Brady Bunch puts out every year for places with the worst gun laws.  Haha.  We might be in the top 10 now. or at least top 20.

We got:(or will when the Gov signs)

1 - OH recognizes all other states licenses and permits

2 - Sheriff does NICS - this should allow us to buy guns without having to get NICS every time.

3 - Suppressor Hunting

4 - 31 round mag = Machine Gun is gone.  No mag prohibitions in OH anymore

5 - Other instructors from National Gun Advocacy groups instrcutors can give OH CHL classes.  Prior this was only OPOTA and NRA    Certified.  This means instructors certified by USCCA will be able to instruct CHL class

6 - 45 day residency requirement is gone

7 - CHL training reduced from 12 to 8 hours

8 - Provisions to allow for a portion of training to be ON LINE

9 - And the coup d'é·tat.... Sheriffs SHALL SIGN all NFA forms presented to them that require LEO certification if the person is legally allowed to possess the items under state and federal law.

There are other minor things.  But these are the biggies IMO
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]
This is absolutely fantastic.  We need to send a big Thank You to our legislators after this is all said and done.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Great news

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice!  Now I got to get some GLock 18 mags!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#18]
This is great!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#19]
The "shall sign" is more generally applicable than NFA firearms; this section says:

"A resident of this state may submit to the sheriff of the county in which the resident resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the resident resides any federal form that requires a law enforcement certification by a chief law enforcement officer."

"The sheriff shall accept and process the certification in the same manner as an application for a concealed handgun license is processed under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code ..." R.C. 311.43(B),(C)."

Also, keep in mind BATFE won't accept a signature from a sheriff of an adjacent county, you still have to go through your own county sheriff for that.  This doesn't change what BATFE accepts.  If your sheriff won't sign then you can sue.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is absolutely fantastic.  We need to send a big Thank You to our legislators after this is all said and done.
View Quote

I tweeted at my rep and senator as well as Kasich.

I think it lets them know a younger generation cares.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The "shall sign" is more generally applicable than NFA firearms; this section says:

"A resident of this state may submit to the sheriff of the county in which the resident resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the resident resides any federal form that requires a law enforcement certification by a chief law enforcement officer."

"The sheriff shall accept and process the certification in the same manner as an application for a concealed handgun license is processed under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code ..." R.C. 311.43(B),(C)."

Also, keep in mind BATFE won't accept a signature from a sheriff of an adjacent county, you still have to go through your own county sheriff for that.  This doesn't change what BATFE accepts.  If your sheriff won't sign then you can sue.
View Quote

True, has to be CLEO in your county of residence.  Also true that IMO at least a few sheriff's will have to be sued.  They can't win and after a couple lose and have to pay lawyers and court cost for the law suits the rest will fall in line.  Sheriffs are political animals.  I suspect that some of the ones who wouldn't sign for political reasons will now do so as they are essentially protected under the law.  Sheriff Jones in Butler Co comes to mind.  He's pro gun, very CHL friendly etc.  But word has it he wouldn't sign forms because he didn't want political  enemies to come back later with so and so shot up whatever with an MG/SBR/Silencer and YOU signed off on him.

We all know all he is certifying is that the device was legal to own in his jurisdiction and that the person submitting the form isn't a known criminal.  So it's a political choice.  Now he can say, I did my job as required by law just like 87 other sheriffs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice!  Now I got to get some GLock 18 mags!!!
View Quote

I've had G18 mags for here for over a yr now.. no problem getting them,, even bought some local...  have stainless Glock frame waiting attach of magwell to M11/9.. and a pile of the hi-cap 40 S&W mags too so I can feed my 40 upper on M11
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dumb question, but when are the reps elected last month sworn in? I ask because my rep died a few months back leaving his post vacant.
View Quote

the new session begins in early January, ...each session is two years, ...so, new bills will introduced after the start of the new session, and have until the end of that session to be passed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks.  Hopefully my new rep will live up to his promises regarding future gun legislation after he takes office.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks.  Hopefully my new rep will live up to his promises regarding future gun legislation after he takes office.
View Quote

...I think the new session we'll have even bigger pro-gun majorities in both houses than we did in 2013-2014!  
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#26]
... and everybody remember to thank Nina Turner for providing her thoughtful insight on the legislation: "I don't understand why a hunter needs a silencer to shoot Bambi or to shoot Tweety Bird — I just don't get it."

ETA: Message sent to Kasich.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Folks, here's contact info for Gov Kasich, and i'll put in the OP as well..  

Governor John Kasich
Riffe Center, 30th Floor
77 South High Street
Columbus, OH 43215-6117
Phone: (614) 466-3555

http://www.governor.ohio.gov/Contact/ContacttheGovernor.aspx
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Texas doesn't reciprocate with Ohio's CHL because not every Ohio license holder goes through an FBI background check.
View Quote

I remember a lot of people raising hell over switching to the FBI check just to get reciprocity with Texas, oh well

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#29]
anyone have a complete list of what states we can expect to be adding reciprocity with now that the FBI background check has been added and maybe also as a result of the reduced training requirements?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Emailed Gov Kasich. This is a huge win in our rights. Now I wonder how difficult the Summit County Sheriff is going to be in signing forms.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What was stripped out of this at the last minute were the school zone fixes and the 18 year old active duty being able to carry legally without a CHL.

It is my understanding these things will be addressed but they needed more time for the details to make sure it was right.

Knowing you don't always get the full loaf at one time I think what has passed is very good and a huge leap forward for moving Ohio up on the list that the Brady Bunch puts out every year for places with the worst gun laws.  Haha.  We might be in the top 10 now. or at least top 20.

2 - Sheriff does NICS - this should allow us to buy guns without having to get NICS every time.

3 - Suppressor Hunting

5 - Other instructors from National Gun Advocacy groups instrcutors can give OH CHL classes.  Prior this was only OPOTA and NRA    Certified.  This means instructors certified by USCCA will be able to instruct CHL class

9 - And the coup d'é·tat.... Sheriffs SHALL SIGN all NFA forms presented to them that require LEO certification if the person is legally allowed to possess the items under state and federal law.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 - Suppressor Hunting

Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#32]
after he signs, how long till effect?.. 3 months?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
after he signs, how long till effect?.. 3 months?
View Quote

Yep 90 days.

JLE
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I hate to be a negative Nellie, but any concerns that Kasich will veto or just not sign?  Couldn't he just wait out the end of the session if he wanted to?  From what I know about Kasich, this won't be an issue, but there's a lot I don't know about him.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I hate to be a negative Nellie, but any concerns that Kasich will veto or just not sign?  Couldn't he just wait out the end of the session if he wanted to?  From what I know about Kasich, this won't be an issue, but there's a lot I don't know about him.
View Quote
he has signed every progun bill to date...

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Iowan checking in here...

Just wanted to give you guys a tentative congratulations. I've the VP of the Iowa Firearms Coalition and we've partnered with the Buckeye Firearms Association in the past. There's no doubt they're a stand-up group working on your guy's behalf. I know they busted their tails this session and it appears the hard work is paying off. If you benefit from the pro-gun bills approved yesterday, I strongly urge you take a second and think about how much work and organizing something like this takes. If you haven't already, consider becoming a BFA member. A strong membership base is a crucial for state level orgs like BFA and IFC.

Once again, congrats. We came close to legalizing suppressors here in Iowa last year, now we have a little more inspiration.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my understanding that if  he were not to sign, it automatically becomes law after 90 days anyway.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It's my understanding that if  he were not to sign, it automatically becomes law after 90 days anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he doesn't sign it, he will lose my support.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#39]
SO MUCH WIN

If Kasich signs, it will make my year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.  Once the bill is officially on his desk, he has 10 days to act.  He has to sign it into law or veto it.  One or the other.  If after 10 days he has done nothing, the act automatically becomes law.

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/education/how-a-bill-becomes-a-law

Step 5 : The Governor
The governor can sign the act into law or reject it by issuing a veto. A three-fifths vote of the members of the House and Senate is necessary to override the governor's veto. A signed act becomes law after 90 days. If the governor takes no action within 10 days of receiving the act, it becomes law without his or her signature.

The chances of him vetoing this bill that came from overwhelming support from members of his own party and was voted on with veto proof majorities is slim to none, and slim just left town.  By April 1 all this will be in effect.

What I want to know is, is the bill on his desk yet?  Not sure how to find that out.

http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou130.nsf/House+Bill+Number/0234?OpenDocument
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#41]
So 10 days if he were not to sign instead of 90.

I agree a veto would be pointless in an attempt to keep it from becoming law and that it would be stupid on his part.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I agree a veto would be pointless in an attempt to keep it from becoming law and that it would be stupid on his part.
View Quote

No he has 10 days to act, once he gets the bill.  Either way, it will be 90 days after that.  90 days after signature, or 90 days after the 10 days.  As I said, before April 1.   If he signed today it would be in effect ~ March 12th.

This link http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou130.nsf/House+Bill+Number/0234?OpenDocument will eventually tell you the effective date.  Right now, just says passed concurrence 12/9/14.  No dates for sent to gov or governor action etc.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No he has 10 days to act, once he gets the bill.  Either way, it will be 90 days after that.  90 days after signature, or 90 days after the 10 days.  As I said, before April 1.   If he signed today it would be in effect ~ March 12th.

This link http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou130.nsf/House+Bill+Number/0234?OpenDocument will eventually tell you the effective date.  Right now, just says passed concurrence 12/9/14.  No dates for sent to gov or governor action etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, thanks. I knew it would become law if he didn't sign, but misunderstood the details. It's good he can't just sit on something for a long period of time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I would just like to thank every one on here who helped in this.  From the BFA people, down to everyone that just called sent an email, thank you.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He also signed the 94 AWB.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that was 20 years ago, it's gone and I'm sure he has learned and educated himself on his mistake.  He has done nothing but sign every pro gun bill put forward.  I don't think this one is any different.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I think we have a pretty good chance of Kasich signing this (it passed overwhelmingly from the legislature, and thus far he's signed every pro-gun bill put before him) but I think we should be taking a minute to let him know we want it signed!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has done everything but fully admit that was a mistake. His latest actions have proven he has become very pro gun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think we have a pretty good chance of Kasich signing this (it passed overwhelmingly from the legislature, and thus far he's signed every pro-gun bill put before him) but I think we should be taking a minute to let him know we want it signed!
View Quote

I agree, send a message.  But I don't really think there is a question of whether he will sign this or not.  If the legislature thought he wasn't going to sign, they wouldn't have went through all these gyrations days before the end of the session.

I heard speed cameras are now going to be illegal in Ohio as well.  Another win for Liberty!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#50]
e mail sent to governor
Page / 4
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top