Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 10/22/2014 8:17:32 AM EDT
There is no place that I know of in Columbus/Franklin County...except near Alum Creek in Delaware and Buckeye Lake iirc?

Any experiences with these places?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to a Shell gas station owned by TrueNorth, and get their 93 octane. I've tested it myself using a cylinder jar and water.

Only their 93 octane is ethanol free, other grades are not.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Go to a Shell gas station owned by TrueNorth, and get their 93 octane. I've tested it myself using a cylinder jar and water.

View Quote

thanks for the tip, isn't there usually a sticker on the pumps if there is ethanol in it?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

thanks for the tip, isn't there usually a sticker on the pumps if there is ethanol in it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around here all the pumps are stickered with "MAY contain up to 10% ethanol"...  No help.  You may or may not be getting ethanol (well, in practice you always do, haven't been able to find uncontaminated gas in years).  :-)
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The Pure Gas website is beyond outdated, and most stations are unverified, in BFE.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Get gas from an airport or from a marina.

Call around to local marinas and see.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not true.

Depends on where they source it for the day.

I am -extremely- familiar with their operations.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The Fredonia Mall on SR661 has 90 octane, no-ethanol gas. Not super close, but 1/2 hour away from ya.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Does it make any difference whether I buy Shell, Marathon or Speedway gasoline ? Is it all the same ?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Fredonia Mall on SR661 has 90 octane, no-ethanol gas. Not super close, but 1/2 hour away from ya.
View Quote

can you bring some to me, i'll have a surprise for you when you get here and don't bring that tall idiot with you
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

can you bring some to me, i'll have a surprise for you when you get here and don't bring that tall idiot with you
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't live out there any more. I live in Jew Albany, we're like neighbors and shit!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't live out there any more. I live in Jew Albany, we're like neighbors and shit!
nice! welcome to the hood - you going to trick or treat in the NACC with your kids?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nice! welcome to the hood - you going to trick or treat in the NACC with your kids?  

Sort of, I'm dressing my wife up like Dora and going door-to-door.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She might get a couple job offers
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

I don't care who or where it's from. I only put the e-free stuff in my generator and mower after testing it myself. No one is honest in business anymore, so I'm surely not going to blindly take their word for it, even if it's at a marina.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

She might get a couple job offers
View Quote

That's the plan. Meanwhile I lurk behind her in the family van...

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Was a Sunoco at 70 & 37 that carried it for the draggers at trails, but it's a Shell now and not sure if they still sell it. The shell at Coonpath and 33 in Lancaster may have it also.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Does it make any difference whether I buy Shell, Marathon or Speedway gasoline ? Is it all the same ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Realistically? No. It's all made to API standards. Most of them trade product in different markets.  Only difference will be their premium level, they will have blended with a different additive package.

That can then affect their mid-grade, as most stations (new stations) do not even have a mid-grade tank anymore, it's all blended at the pump. (X amount of regular + Y amount of premium = mid grade.)

Biggest thing you have to look at is this:

Is the store a co-op or is it owned by the chain? If it's not owned by, say like True North - then it could be just buying whole sale rack gasoline from the cheapest place, instead of buying branded gas.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't care who or where it's from. I only put the e-free stuff in my generator and mower after testing it myself. No one is honest in business anymore, so I'm surely not going to blindly take their word for it, even if it's at a marina.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Buy it from an airport then.

Ethanol fuel isn't FAA approved, thus cannot be sold at airports.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to run this stuff in my trail quad. It would run like crap without it, even with the 93 octane I used. Good stuff.
Star-tron
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#21]
NE Ohio, but I just drove an hour to fill up my cans for ethanol fee gas.  Ohio has some of the worst gas standards in the US.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
NE Ohio, but I just drove an hour to fill up my cans for ethanol fee gas.  Ohio has some of the worst gas standards in the US.
View Quote

Where did you go?

Most of Ohio's gas comes from a handful of places.

Marathon Toledo
Sun Toledo
PPC coraopolis
Kinder Morgan fairless hills Pa
Ergon, WV.
Marathon Canton
Buckeye pipeline

Three of those terminals sell ethanol free gas. Minimum order quantities 1500 gallons.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Where did you go?

Marathon Toledo
Sun Toledo
PPC coraopolis
Ergon, WV.
Marathon Canton
Buckeye pipeline

Three of those terminals sell ethanol free gas. Minimum order quantities 1500 gallons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you go?

Marathon Toledo
Sun Toledo
PPC coraopolis
Ergon, WV.
Marathon Canton
Buckeye pipeline

Ravenna Oil
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

The airport where I buy my avgas sells ethanol free unleaded, so I started filling a couple of jerry cans when I went.  I have an older garden tractor with a cast iron kohler on it that I bought used in '92.  It just runs and runs.  I started running the e-free in it, and after a couple of tank-fulls, it started acting funny.  It completely quit while it was hot a couple of times, and wouldn't start until it cooled off.  I thought that maybe a valve was sticking or something, and that it was just finally time to rebuild it.  I was just a bit suspicious about the switch to the airport gas.  This was in August, and I was moving in with my daughter while my new house is being built, so I wasn't going to need it for a while.  I just parked it do deal with later.  A couple of weeks ago, I used my new generator for the first time.  I let it run all night to keep the sump pump going in my new basement, because they didn't have the temp pole connected yet.  I started it again the next evening, and noticed it would sputter a bit when the pump came on.  I came back to check the next morning, and it had only run for a little while.  On about the sixth or seventh gallon of gas, total, it had quit completely, and would not start.

I noticed that the spark screen on the exhaust was black and sooty, so I pulled the spark plug.  It was completely fouled with carbon.  I cleaned it up, and the thing runs like new again.  I checked the mixture, and it was about as lean as it would run.  (In fact, the first day, I had started it at about 3pm.  The workers that showed up the next morning said it was still running.  I was amazed that it ran so long on less than a tank of gas.)  

I am inclined to attribute the fouling to the lack of additives in the gas.  I'm going to pull the plug on the tractor this week, and I expect to find the same thing.  I'm not going to waste the extra money on it any more.  I use good jerry cans for my gas to keep it dry, and I'll put stabilizer in it.  For me, that's the best solution.  YMMV

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top